Page 252 of 400 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262302352 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik) View Post
    App
    Emoticons directed at you-nga but not "over, remba over" - that was for the prelude
    Oh, appadiyA, OK-nga

BTW, any pointers to the writings of krishashok?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    #230 காத்திருக்கேன் கதவைத்திறந்து
    (மிஸ்டர் பாரத், 1986 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Another sugar-coated duet by the top pair SPB-SJ, that tastes like one of those Danish butter cookies (that you can't have just one and this song too typically encourages a repeat listen). The initial tak-tak irritation notwithstanding Ofcourse, that part generates some curiosity as to how it would have been shot on screen (haven't seen / don't know) but I'm not a fan of it when listening to the song. OTOH, the singing of SPB & SJ are in the same levels of 'muththam pOthAdhO' and quite sweet. Same with rAsA's orchestration - somehow it evokes the same feel of the kiss song (there may be some connection that musicals will be able to decipher).

I think it's anybody's guess that this would have been picturized on Rajini-chEchi (it would be a shocker if someone comes and posts that the song was actually for truthking...but, then, anything is possible in TF / TFM). I hope my curiosity level will be sustained till the evening when I can access youtube and get a glimpse of this video (will post the link in this thread if that happens). A very sweet pallavi and equally sweet saraNam and this is the only song I fondly remember from this album. Ofcourse, never had a chance to record or analyze like many favourties (bus / kOlAmbi / teakkadai only number) but just that the others didn't register strongly despite the movie having Rajini.

I think this was around the time that AVM-rAsA urasal started. I'm not positive but it's quite possible as they seem to have started looking at lesser talents for their next movie with Rajini. While I'm not 100% sure whether the very next AVM-Rajini movie had a new MD, they definitely deviated from having only MSV / IR for RK-KH movies as they had between 81-86.

Possibly AVM started their cassette business around this time as well (which possibly clashed with Echo and other rAsA interests). In any case, Chandrabose did become their 'AsthAna' MD for a while and the reason gossipped was their difficulty in working with rAsA. I've read somewhere that rAsA had his own room in AVM recording theater prior and due to the urasals moved out to Prasad. His AVM room was given to Chandrabose etc.

How far these were correct cannot be verified by a layman reader like me
    Last edited by app_engine; 17th December 2011 at 01:42 AM.

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Never had a great liking for it but compelled to document it here because this was a hit song. I never thought this was so popular (mainly because I was out of TN and its arumai-perumai didn't reach Palakkad)
    It was a spectacularly popular song would be my take.

Mr.Bharath was released Pongal 1986, much before the other hits like Vikram, AKK, Punnagai Mannan, MounaRagam, etc. (This was the time of the Ind-NZ-Aus tri-series, and 3 months before that Miandad sixer. That month I also remember because one of my dad's friends showed me an India map and asked me to point out Andaman, which sounded Andha Maan to me. I was perplexed because I had no idea why he wanted to see deer in an India map.)

About 10 days after the movie release, I saw Malaysia Vasu in a concert. After he finished the song 'Ennama Kannu', the crowd shouted 'Once More'. (Of course, he also sang Poongatru Thirumbuma, less than a year old, on that day).

It was pretty common for the fellas in my primary school to sing this out at lunchtime, playground, classroom, etc. This was minus the SPB roar when he says 'Paayum puli naan thaan'.

I consider myself always 10 years behind the times, but these days have serious difficulty watching the 80s movies for more than 30 minutes. I find them too oldfashioned, slow, from a different world..And still, I watched Mr.Bharath last year and enjoyed it. (Perhaps it is not the screenplay but the pleasure of bringing to mind's eye those days of 1985-86 when I stood in queue for the evening School bus, Duckpack bag on shoulder, tiffin bag in hand while around me, some 8 year old narrated Sathyaraj-Rajini dialogues to other 8 year olds with Fly-Receiving-Jaw-dropping mouths). Sathyaraj is my preferred villain for his smartness and casualness.

From Balaji Bala's reviews http://www.bbthots.com/reviews/rewind/mbhaarath.html comes this line:
    "Both have fun during the Ennammaa Kannu... song, one of the highlights of the movie. It is sung heartily by SPB(for Rajnikanth) and Malaysia Vasudevan(for Satyaraj)."

App, I read you watched Mounaragam only recently. Why this Kolaveri Saar?
    Last edited by al_gates; 17th December 2011 at 04:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ennamma Kannu ~ fast & hip song, and the clip is not so bad either, Rajini looks extremely dashing, with his style and attitude, simply wonderful! Sweet , exhilarating preludes & interludes... ♥♥♥♥♥
    Even today, I still hear ppl asking or saying 'Ennamma Kannu Saukiyama' ? and often used in chats ..

D.Imman for your remix !

Kaathirukken Kathave ~ AAhh,, the fridge song, as I remember it... It's funny watching this song today. Yet those days this song picturization would have been considered a break through ..

Pacha Milaga, En thaayin meethu aanai... MS Vasu Sir... missing your voice

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if App saw the youtube of the fridge video and was too stunned to post anything - evening pArthuttu ezhhudharennu sonnavar soundE kANOm . App, Krisasok meesicalA? News to me. I thought he name-drops harikhamboji, nalinakanthi etc for effect, sometimes for kevalamaana punning effects

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plum
    Pala varsham violin vaasikka padichirukkaaru, he can play the guitar, theory theriyin (endha alavukku nu therinja naama musical-a iruppom), listens to many different forms of music, garage band use pannuvaaru (MD ku adhu dhaane main-u!) - if he is not a musical, then who is? Emotion, nostalgia, situation, genre etc ippadi pesaradhu vera, technical-a (theory-based) pesaradhu vera illaya

App
    Link edhuvum illainga, specific-a. There was an exchange of tweets between him and Suresh65, which i wish had been more elaborate - very interesting....
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Post Thanks / Like
    I always found him fake - I don't know. Knowledge is one thing, how you use/project/articulate is quite another...

Post Thanks / Like
    al_gates,

Nice memories

Plum,

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    I always found him fake - I don't know. Knowledge is one thing, how you use/project/articulate is quite another...
    Disagree!
    Anyway, im talking about music only. humor etc ellaam Vera vishayam. Sometimes works, sometimes dorsnt (IMO this tambram outrage tumblr concept doing the rounds in twitter is the lamest, bladest, obnoxious concept and attempt at humor)
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Post Thanks / Like
    #231 நான் பூவெடுத்து வைக்கணும் பின்னாலே
    (நானும் ஒரு தொழிலாளி, 1986 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Back to another Kamal movie (the movie that I referred to as an "old" movie, as this was supposedly in the making for quite a long time and felt by many as "old" even when it got released). The movie was released in Kerala (Palakkad) with the title 'meeNdum sooryOdhayam' printed in Malayalam but 'nAnum oru thozhilALi' in Thamizh Sridhar had to change the Thamizh title possibly to not antogonize the ruling ADMK (even though MGR was quite sick by the time this movie was on screen).

Extremely sweet song, typical harmony between SPB & SJ and IR throwing in some sweet instrumental pieces made this song instantly likeable. Another "bus-only" song and mostly listened during night rides. Reminds me of the breezy road between Pollachi and Pazhani where buses often didn't have perfect window insulation and the vAdaikkARRu used to pierce the bones. Same experience with Pollachi bus stand where one got stranded often in midnight / early morning and the vAdaikkARRu could be devastating. Forcing one to drink tea frequently and also visit the rest room often

The poster of this movie - with Kamal Ambika - that is still fresh in my mind (with different Malayalam / Thamizh titles) was at the "Sultan pettai" junction of Palakkad, one of the few places that had a "traffic light" those days. This junction was visited by us practically daily - on one of the four sides was Ashok Bhavan ( a poor Palakkad clone of Annapoorna with similar sAmbar soaked idli etc) and the opposite of that was a stationary store. We had taken dinner there many days (and I did suffer some terrific bowel experiences in the night thereafter, even taken to clinic by others in the morning etc). This was one of the better-looking veggie restaurants of Palakkad those days and was a regular place for TN bachelors...
    Last edited by app_engine; 19th December 2011 at 08:16 AM.