Page 249 of 400 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259299349 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Nice to see Param back after a long time (looks like it takes Dimple to get him here )
    Thanks For the welcome app anna As usuall "ungal sevaiku meendum oru salute"

Add madhiri dixit to kapadia list as well
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #227 கட வீதி கல கலக்கும், எங்க அக்கா மக, அவ நடந்து வந்தா
    (அம்மன் கோவில் கிழக்காலே, 1986 )

The standard galAttA number for masAlA as well as village-type movies of 80's, especially when a popular hero is in the mix. One loses count as to how many such numbers rAsA had done during his career - with mELam, shenoy, flute & other standard repertoire, making them racy , dance-worthy and catchy. The lyricists possibly had a tougher time as they had to match the speed of rAsA in coming up with tunes / arrangements for such numbers. SPB obviously is at ease here, belting out the number effortlessly with his thuLLal and kEli tone. (MV too had done a number of similar songs credibly without much ado. These two are unmatched in IR-era in this area. TMS ruled in days prior).

A typical rAsA fan of 80's was getting weary with such numbers over a time period. Most chose to listen to the other 'novel' or 'melodious' numbers by recording them. OTOH, the public (or whoever were "broadcasting" to the public by loudspeakers) always favoured such numbers and one had to listen to them mostly involuntarily. Personally, though I won't go great lengths to stop & listen, record etc such type of songs, I never found them boring. Simply because, there were ingradients that IR mixed in cleverly to keep one amused. For example, I love the great energy in the first line of the saraNam of this song and wait to listen to it Also, the song overall never bored me that I had to turn mind off. In addition, all rAsa themmAngus are 'ear-friendly' - unlike those made by others that are sheer noise - and one gets to listen to some sweet sounds / melodious portions even on such numbers.

Interestingly, not all such numbers became as famous as this one. Obviously the success of the movie & star involved were the reasons for the popularity / playback it enjoyed.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wonderful job!

Vinatha.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amman Koyil Kizhakkale is one heck of an album. Love all the songs and what a variety of songs. Great posts App

I simply can't get out of Ada Machamulla from Chinna Veedu thanks to V_S and App's posts.
    Last edited by rajkumarc; 14th December 2011 at 02:51 AM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    app, sorry for ruining the mood here, but shouldn't it be Chinna mAni kuyilE instead of kuyilu?
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not at all, groucho, I too thought about it but didn't fix it

Actually I sing it 'kuyiloo' all the time and that's how it got reflected (BTW, I always get distracted with that 'teeeng' guitar sound at the end of kuyilE & mayilE and that could be another reason)...

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi baroque & rajkumarc!

I'm divided whether to do Kamal or BR next...may be BR as there's just one song...
    Last edited by app_engine; 14th December 2011 at 10:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    #228 போகுதே போகுதே என் பைங்கிளி வானிலே
    (கடலோரக்கவிதைகள், 1986 )

From an adiyAL to villain to hero. That too, 'kAdhal pirivil sOgappAttu pAdum' hero

That was what Satyaraj -who did that menacing mottai, dark goggles terror figure in nooRAvadhu nAL - became in kadalOrakkavidhaikaL. And BR had that sadistic pleasure of making Sinnappa dAs cry for Jennifer. Rather than becoming a laughing stock & unintentional humor to public, the whole gimmick actually worked While the mileau set up by BR was one important reason for that, the more powerful factor was the combo of our thread nAyaks - IR & SPB! Me and a collegue too had fallen for the trickery by these masters and had our throats choked while watching the movie...this scene was quite moving (though the whole song wasn't on screen IIRC)

Well, we didn't exactly warm up to the whole movie that way (e.g. the climax scene wasn't goosebump stuff but still made tolerable by the BGM). The whole movie had terrific BGM apart from the manasaippizhiyum songs. kodiyilE & adi AththAdee took the top spots with SJ in terrific form (PJ & IR were excellent as well) but they also had phenomenal melody / orchestration and other techniques. Relatively less catchy melody and 'nothing-new-kind-of orchestration' was what got offered to the SPB song. But the capabilities of the singer came to the fore and it measured up to the expectations, creating the necessary emotional connect! No wonder we give SPB the top crown for versatility among all singers of TFM regardless of the time frame!

Like I mentioned in the IR-duet-songs thread spearheaded by V_S-ji, I always associate 'kadalOrakkavidhaikaL' with rainy Kerala. One of our associates those days used to identify Walayar this way : "Take a bus from Coimbatore to Palakkad and get down where it starts raining - that'll be Walayar"

It used to be such a marked difference from the rain-shadow area of Madukkarai / Podanur / Kuniyamuthur kind of places (worst cases, Palladam / Tiruppur) to move towards the west through the 'kaNavAy'...and the moment you hit the TN-Kerala border, the sudden change in weather during June is quite striking! With rain comes the small river that divides the states, the dam / reservoir that is visible from the highway overflowing with water, followed by the tall teak trees and the rocky terrain...very interesting and sudden landscape change there! Being a passway between hills, it used to be very windy during the monsoon as well (AdikkARRil ammiyum paRakkum levels).

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    #228 போகுதே போகுதே என் பைங்கிளி வானிலே
    (கடலோரக்கவிதைகள், 1986 )

Like I mentioned in the IR-duet-songs thread spearheaded by V_S-ji, I always associate 'kadalOrakkavidhaikaL' with rainy Kerala. One of our associates those days used to identify Walayar this way : "Take a bus from Coimbatore to Palakkad and get down where it starts raining - that'll be Walayar"
    I thought Kadalora Kavithaigal was shot around Muttom. App, BTW this is a tipping point: I always wondered if you can run a similar thread to discuss popular films and the places they were shot: Given your geography expertise, it should be easy for you And a great Discovery channel for the rest of us

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App_engine

Pogudhe Pogudhe is a nice melancoly song. Thanks

The telugu version "Aradhana" that had Chiranjeevi, Suhasini and Radhika had all the songs sung by SPB.. (Still lacks the IR punch ,, )

Are Emaindi (Adi Aathadi..)

Mellavai Thegalo (Kodiyile Malligai..)

Bala