Page 243 of 400 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253293343 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,430 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you baroque, for the explanation / posting the song situation. (My confusion was because 'enai nee dhAn pirindhAlum' part...)

V_S, nice reminiscence!

No question, mouna rAgam is quite poetic!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    As Plum mentioned, PM in the biggie I was talking about (with one of the KSC mazhai numbers). Two songs are due today and I'll post both the duets from that movie and reserve the solo special for tomorrow

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a song at all levels.
    First up - let me get the nostalgia portion off my chest.
    When this song was telecast in OLiyum Oliyum - it raised curiosity of everyone to insane levels.
    Key reasons where shot placements - photography and offcourse music department.
    The use of multiple reflections/shadows on window panes and juxtaposing them with real images
    was a stamp of an auteur and it literally announced to the whole world that Mani is here and
    he means real business. The intrigue of chandramohan-divya relationship was beautifully captured and the
    lead up sequence was rewound and played by movie crazy idiots like me all over TN so many times.
    The hero - heroine looking at each other from a distance was age old in thamizh cinema (usually so with
    mohan movies where someone is singing and mohan is following or mohan is singing and heroine is following)
    The same theme was strangely captured and recreated indoors by Mani - but telling a strong story inside the song.
    wonderful and apt lyrics supported by the poignant melody and very sincere singing by Baalu saar - made this song an awesome gem. I like this better as a "narrative and mood communicator" than "mandram vandha" simply because of the visual play that was attempted by Mani and PC saar. All in all it is an "announcement call" inviting folks to the avant garde film making world of Mani ratnam and for that alone this is a song of lifetime for a film historian.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jai,
    Excellently narrated by you Every word is perfect. Where were you, we were missing your posts so much.
    "The use of multiple reflections/shadows on window panes and juxtaposing them with real images
    was a stamp of an auteur and it literally announced to the whole world that Mani is here and
    he means real business."

Plum was also looking for you in other threads for your contribution.

Senior Member Senior Hubber rajeshkrv's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mouna raagam- MR-IR-Vaali best album

Mandram vandha - ever popular song and how subtly vaali had brought out the frustration of a husband who is living a bachelorhood even after marriage

hats off

Post Thanks / Like
    Jai - oru vazhiyaa vandhu serndhingalaa? Koot

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    what other thread needs my olarals? tell me - angeyum oru "present saar" pottudalaam.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    #218 நிலாவே வா
    (மௌன ராகம், 1986 )

Yet another SPB sweetie from the same movie that has a similar Ah-Ah start in the prelude like manRam vandha. However, this melodious number takes a different trip into traditional rAsA system that has tablA, flute & strings unlike the jazzy drums / sax route that manRam takes. ...
    I think this "rAsA system" as you refer to is the main reason for MR breaking away from IR. This is the only song that has this 'system' in this movie. Probably MR believes even melodies however rAgam based can be done with modern rhythms. Just my guess.. I could be wrong.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    poignancy mood, Kiru.

I don't understand... ManiR went to Rahman, but some of Rahman's pathos are also elongated melodies with singular flute with humming(UYIRE UYIRE....BOMBAY) or minnaley.....strings orchestration

Balachander, ManiR, Bharathiraja etc.. appadinnu all fellows ponaanga... enna ippo!

K.Balachander, MSV vittu Raja kittey vandharu, adhey maadhiri, Rahman kittey ponaaru...

idhellam sagajam.

Raja continues to serve new fellows like Cheran, Myshkin, Suseeindran etc..
    Life goes on...
    vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 7th December 2011 at 04:08 AM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    In another 5 years(91-92), we'll reach lesser volumes and a trickle down the 90s. Already feeling a sadness this is going to end...
    +1, I'd be lost after 92/93.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.