Page 242 of 400 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252292342 ... LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Punnaimaran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent song app and a very enjoyable post.. All our friends would like to try that rhythm on whatever wooden surface was available.
    இந்தக் காட்டில் எந்த மூங்கில் இசைக்க வல்லது என்று மயங்கிய பொழுது
    இறைவன் தேர்ந்தெடுத்தப் புல்லாங்குழல் தான் நம் இசைஞானி !!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed, App_eng.
    Nice post.

Sensuous composition, dulcet singing by Bala & Janu.

What a prelude! flute and the folkish beat set the mood.
    guitar followed by that spectacular violin is very gratifying.
    lovely second interlude - flute followed by chorus counterpoint

MR is Raja's fine work.
    Let us enjoy.....
    app_eng.

vinatha.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    mikka nanRi V_S-ji, Punnaimaran & baroque!

As had been the case with most weekends, I couldn't post on both Sat & Sun...will try to catch up tomorrow...(Obviously two more numbers from MR and the Monday song will be from another sensational movie...)

Post Thanks / Like
    #217 மன்றம் வந்த தென்றலுக்கு மஞ்சம் வர நெஞ்சம் இல்லையோ?
    (மௌன ராகம், 1986 )

Tremendous number by SPB! Right from the Ah-Ah stuff that starts in the prelude, this song belongs to him and he thoroughly enjoys singing the lines that are very appropriately written to support the movie's theme! rAsA ofcourse gives his beautiful support by way of the motown drum sounds (I think, quite different anyways) and the exotic sax work! The sweet way the interludes end, give a pause before saraNam can start is another interesting feature of this number.

Mohan got one of his few worthy on-screen performances in MR. Though he had many "silver-jubilee-hits" in a successful career, he had very few remarkable roles. The others that come to mind are nenjaththaikkiLLAthE (was it his first TF?), nooRAvathu nAL & payaNangaL mudivathillai. PM because it was the first of his mike movies. A cheerful face that can easily get gloomy (and earn sympathy) was his USP and he possibly made the best use of it in his career that was supported in a tremendous way by IR's music & S N Surendar's voice.

Revathy got the best of both worlds - bubbly young girl who did kuRumbu things and a serious woman who acts as a kalluLi mangini. Both in the same character, and made the best use of it. I didn't like the 'pOdA dEy' thingy much but it was one of the most talked about items from the movie and also one that was enjoyed by many others. So, MR got a pass mark for comedy in this movie (but he gets negative marks for the crass comedy in AN, a movie we won't discuss in this thread because no SPB in AN).

I don't have fond memories associated with this song - the usual stuff (bus travels, teakkadai listens). Interestingly, this song is really timeless in my case. I had listened to this involuntarily right from its arrival until the time I was last in India - wherever I went. A remarkable feat! Possibly that is the reason Balki wanted this melody to be showcased to Bollywood and he did a fine job cheeni kum, in Shreya G's voice plus freshened up orchestration, is a fine manifestation of this timeless melody to those speking Hindi!

Post Thanks / Like
    #218 நிலாவே வா
    (மௌன ராகம், 1986 )

Yet another SPB sweetie from the same movie that has a similar Ah-Ah start in the prelude like manRam vandha. However, this melodious number takes a different trip into traditional rAsA system that has tablA, flute & strings unlike the jazzy drums / sax route that manRam takes. Two great solos, both terrific but with different treatments and timeless classics! No wonder some consider SPB's singing was at its best in 1986. (To me there's no single year or time period when SPB's voice was / is best, I love his 'aiaiyO what can I do, tell me what to do' & 'puthiya manithA' as much as 'nilAvE vA' He is boyish, for ever, IMSO!)

Though I know now how big a success was MR then, at that time period me paid no attention to the movie as such. (As mentioned earlier, watched it only recently on web). Also, I didn't associate the nilAvE song with MR either whenever I heard on buses or elsewhere. Like I mentioned before, there was a definite discussion with a friend on 'pani vizhum iravu' but never had a chance to talk to anyone about the other songs of this movie prior to tfmpage visits.

The theme of the movie could easily be associated with manRam vandha (married but not sharing bed) but the lines of nilAvE are quite confusing. (Well, I now don't remember where this song comes in the movie...is it in the climax?). It sounds more like depicting a broken-up Kovalan-Madhavi kind of situation in mind (sollAl pirintha uRavu), but there's none of such in the movie, I think. In any case, like rAsA certified, MR was one who filmed scenes as described during composing sessions and it must be appropriate to the movie Someone who remembers the movie very well please highlight the background of this song as my memory fails here.

The movie also boasts of BGM of extraordinary standards! The theme is quite enchanting and one can catch one version of it or other on youtube and enjoy! So are the two female solos. The chinnachchinna vaNNakkuyil had SJ in kushi mood but some mature singing while the rain song had thuLLal mood and girlish exuberance! (rAsA had very similar number reserved for KSC in another biggie that'll eventually come up on this thread. He had a similar number for KSC in another MR movie as well).

It would be inappropriate not to mention chandamAmA when talking about this song. A traditional favourite for romantic poems / songs around the world and especially TFM, this is another nice addition to the name of en iniya iyanthirA's lead lady character.
    Last edited by app_engine; 5th December 2011 at 10:26 PM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    அதிக எண்ணிக்கையில் பள்ளி / கல்லூரி மேடைகளில் அரங்கேறிய , அரங்கேறிவரும் ராஜாவின் இசைப்பாடல்கள் என்றால் இரண்டே இரண்டு . 1) இளையநிலா 2) மன்றம் வந்த

இரண்டுமே பாடும் நிலா பாடியவை , மைக் மோகன் இடம் பெற்றவை என்பது வரலாற்று முக்கியத்துவம் . ரஜினி , கமல் என்ற உச்ச நட்சத்திரங்கள் ராஜாவின் இசையில் கோலோச்சி வந்தாலும் , இந்த நிதர்சனம் புருவத்தை உயர்த்தும்.

இன்னொரு விஷயம் : இரு பாடல்களும் தெம்மாங்கு வகையில் அல்லாத ட்ரம்ஸ், காங்கோ, சக்ஸஃபோன், கிடார் போன்ற மேற்கத்திய இசைக்கருவிகளைக் கொண்டு முழுக்க முழுக்க நகர வாழ்க்கை சாயலை ஒட்டி வந்தவை.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Post Thanks / Like
    App - 1986 so the other biggie is punnagai mannan. And w.r.t, I Thirudadhe, you must discuss it here - we can extrapolate to Geethanjali. Should not miss it just because Mano...oh well, let me not annoy grouch. In another 5 years(91-92), we'll reach lesser volumes and a trickle down the 90s. Already feeling a sadness this is going to end...

Post Thanks / Like
    பாடல் வரிகள் informs the sadness of the situation, app _eng

காவேரியா கானல் நீரா பெண்மை என்ன உண்மை
    முள்வேலியா முல்லைப்பூவா சொல்லு கொஞ்சம் நில்லு
    அம்மாடியோ நீதான் இன்னும் சிறு பிள்ளை
    தாங்காதம்மா நெஞ்சம் நீயும் சொன்ன சொல்லை
    பூந்தேனே நீதானே சொல்லில் வைத்தாய் முள்ளை!

Mohan took Revathi for an evening of outing for the first time after they reached Delhi.

He wanted to get her a gift .
    அவன் - 'கல்யாணத்துக்கு அப்புறம் முதல் முறையா வெளியில் வந்து இருக்கோம், எது வேணும்ன்னாலும் கேளு..'
    அவள் - 'நான் எது கேட்டாலும் வாங்கி தருவீங்காளா?'
    அவன் - 'என்னால முடிஞ்சா வாங்கி தருவேன்!'
    அவள் - 'எனக்கு விவாகரத்து வேணும், அது இந்த கடையில் கிடைக்குமா? வாங்கி தருவீங்களா?'
    followed by நிலாவே வா.... பாலா's pathos.

amazingly romantic and longing prelude humming by Bala!
    typical Raja's soga flute and strings!
    lingering calmness in the sogam is superb!

Vinatha
    Last edited by baroque; 6th December 2011 at 08:47 AM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As venkki rightly pointed out, 'Mandram Vantha' and 'ILaya Nila' were (are) most popular in colleges. When I was doing my first year (1986), every college, CIT, PSG, REC, CEG, et al every one participated in music competition at our college culturals. I think at the pre-final stage PSG, REC, CEG were tied. So they gave a final song to decide the winner. That was 'Mandram Vantha Thendral' song. We were stunned to hear that we (as audience) could not decide the winner as every one performed to perfection (a very tight competition). We could see an aspiring SPB in every singer and aspiring musicians in every team who played those drums, guitars and sax. What a talent! Especially everyone were looking how the singers would echo the ending 'sol sol sol…'. Truly phenomenal. Moments of ultimate joy and experience. I think REC won that one, IIRC.

Your posts kindled me to watch this movie again and now just finished watching it. I still could not come out of it. Thanks a lot App. Every time I feel like am watching it for the first time. Tears just pours. As vinatha beautifully explained, that scene is really poetic will really melt our hearts that will be reflected in our eyes through tears. Yes it gives a sense of calmness after watching this movie. This film is a life time achievement for MR and IR.

A film like this can never happen again, even with Mani Ratnam. His best ever. It is like a beautiful poem in whatever way we look at it. No vethu aarbattam. It is more special as it is pure and original and not an adaptation which MR does often. Be it the songs, every second of BGM, screenplay, direction, cinematography, editing or dialogues, ஒரு தரம் ஒரே தரம்.
    Last edited by V_S; 6th December 2011 at 08:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Plum;779083h. In another 5 years(91-92), we'll reach lesser volumes and a trickle down the 90s. Already feeling a sadness this is going to end... [/QUOTE]

mmm..

Exclude the non tamil albums like Sri Rama Rajyam,Nannavanu etc.. of recent years.

last tamil album, Bala has sung for IR( withMSV) is viswathulasi-2004 or 2005.

நிழலின் கதை இது கேளடியோ நிஜமே ஒரு நிமிடம் நில்லடியோ.....

http://www.oosai.com/oosai_plyr/playerWin.cfm?list=3021

S.P.Bala, THE GREATEST!
    Last edited by baroque; 6th December 2011 at 09:12 AM.