Page 212 of 400 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214222262312 ... LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi baroque for your nice words!

With # 188, police uniform is finished...

I'll probably finish up all biggies of this year first - that way, let me do a Rajinikanth movie next, that had 3 SPB numbers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you, App_eng.
    Enjoyed roaming around with your friends with a pocket full of money!

Vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 27th October 2011 at 03:30 AM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    app, I love Kamal's dance in Singgari Sarakku. Graceful dappangguttu, I'd say. Also, the lines got censored here and there. Too lazy to highlight.One of the films fault lies here. At one time, Kamal is merrily singing and dancing (and drinking of course), and then suddenly the man gets violent tossing unlit molotov cocktails overturning autorickshaw, Hulk range-la poyiduvaru . Antha timelayE we were "What the...".

Thanks for bringing us back to that time, app. We brothers then used to call it Katkitkot (sound the cartoon Transformers make, apparently to our young ears), and Kamal fanaticism was at feverish high.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The Mr Prayer & Miss Serious combo made it extremely funny sounding" .

While listening to these songs by SPB and SJ and admire the grace with which they sing and take them to newer unknown heights, it is hard not to compare with other singers and their performances. Even if we accept Mano and Chitra for these kind of situations, imagining 'Poo potta dhavani' or 'Singaari sarakku' is sung by the great singers of today. Many have sweet voices, classically trained and everything, but no one can bring out that sensation what SPB and SJ had brought out. It's all done for us and we are absolutely gifted to listen to these gems 'suda chuda' when the songs got released.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    V_S, yes....we were fortunate indeed. Okay, time to visit the other thread, see you there.

*waiting for Params to come and grab the Mano part, and beat the dead snake so hard that it becomes alive again*
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    V_S, yes....we were fortunate indeed. Okay, time to visit the other thread, see you there.

*waiting for Params to come and grab the Mano part, and beat the dead snake so hard that it becomes alive again*

(app in dharumi mode as for as "sivan" is concerned : avan vara mAttAn, nAn dhAn indha maNdapaththula ukkAndhu saththam pOttukkittu irukkaNum)

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post

(app in dharumi mode as for as "sivan" is concerned : avan vara mAttAn, nAn dhAn indha maNdapaththula ukkAndhu saththam pOttukkittu irukkaNum)
    பரம் சமீபத்துல வந்த அவன் இவன் படத்தை பார்த்திருப்பார்... "என்னடா இது, இந்த அம்பிகா (சேச்சி) அம்மாவோட ரசிகர்கள் கூடவா சகவாசம் வச்சிருக்கிறோம்" அப்பிடீன்னு பயந்து போய் ஓடி போய்ட்டார். (அப்பு, இது வரைக்கும் பார்க்கலன்னா, நீங்க தயவு செஞ்சு "அவன் இவன்" பார்க்க வேண்டாம். ஒரு மோசமா படத்தை தவிர்த்த மாதிரியும் இருக்கும், நீங்க அம்பிகா சேச்சி மேல வச்சிருக்கிற அபிமானமும் குறையாது)

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    "The Mr Prayer & Miss Serious combo made it extremely funny sounding" .

While listening to these songs by SPB and SJ and admire the grace with which they sing and take them to newer unknown heights, it is hard not to compare with other singers and their performances. Even if we accept Mano and Chitra for these kind of situations, imagining 'Poo potta dhavani' or 'Singaari sarakku' is sung by the great singers of today. Many have sweet voices, classically trained and everything, but no one can bring out that sensation what SPB and SJ had brought out. It's all done for us and we are absolutely gifted to listen to these gems 'suda chuda' when the songs got released.
    Eventhough I like "Poo Potta Dhavani" song for it energy and style, I am totally against mukkal, munagal songs - IMO, they are disgusting and insult of femal sexuality. I can not forgive IR/SJ for producing such songs - especially SKV Nila Kayudhu song. I am relly not sure who started this trend. Good relief, it died in late 80s. There are lot of other ways to convey the similar feelings in a song w/o mukkal and mungals. I have 2 examples by the same IR/SPB/SJ/KH combo from the same year.

1) Vanithamani Vanamohini (very much like Poo Potta Dhavani)
    2) Meendum Meendum Vaa (Comparable to wonderful "Theendai Enai Theendai" by SPB/Chitra/ARR)

Chitra by choice did not do mukkal munagal songs. IMHO, Chitra is no less compared to SPB/PS/SJ in bringing emotions in songs.
    Last edited by genesis; 27th October 2011 at 10:36 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    Eventhough I like "Poo Potta Dhavani" song for it energy and style, I am totally against mukkal, munagal songs - IMO, they are disgusting and insult of femal sexuality. I can not forgive IR/SJ for producing such songs - especially SKV Nila Kayudhu song. I am relly not sure who started this trend. Good relief, it died in late 80s. There are lot of other ways to convey the similar feelings in a song w/o mukkal and mungals. I have 2 examples by the same IR/SPB/SJ/KH combo from the same year.

1) Vanithamani Vanamohini (very much like Poo Potta Dhavani)
    2) Meendum Meendum Vaa (Comparable to wonderful "Theendai Enai Theendai" by SPB/Chitra/ARR)

Chitra by choice did not do mukkal munagal songs. IMHO, Chitra is no less compared to SPB/PS/SJ in bringing emotions in songs.
    small clarification.. the sanga kaala mukkal of "theendaai " was not by chitra - only the carnatic style singing was by chitra and spb.
    for your held opinion against, "mukkal" songs, kindly visit the "erotica" thread and get janma saabalyam and theLivu (enga aalu Burger King kitta irukku ungalukku.. )
    The trend started, I believe with all the Cabaret songs of 70s and ever since the "boldness" quotient increased, like any superior concept that came before, the erotica of TFM also got polluted. At the same time I dont want it to be forecefully sanitized and dripped out of its core emotion by cultural phenyling. Film playback singing is film playback singing - it lives with the context and dies with the same context - romba deeppaa idhai eduthukkappadaadhunnen. Meesik and lyrics are takeaways but not in an extreme generic case.. Eppdi veedu varai uravu paattai contextoda eduthukkaromo - adhe maadhiri thaan "nela kaayudhu" vum..
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    #189 காந்தி தேசமே, காவல் இல்லையா?
    (நான் சிகப்பு மனிதன், 1985 )

I remember posting about this song in the 'last heard' thread sometime back after watching a Visu program on Jaya TV. In that program, its saraNam got so powerfully used to pizhinjify people's emotions on day-to-day troubles. While that was done to get political mileau (which they did get, going by the huge victory during the subsequent elections) and I personally felt this one worked great as a propaganda song at current conditions, I wasn't impressed at all when it originally arrived. Ofcourse, even now I won't compare this with any of MSV/KVM-MGR numbers that had the majestic voice of TMS. SPB had been and will be a "boy" in my mind forever

Actually, rAsA himself didn't do many majestic propaganda / political numbers anyways (an occasional manithA manithA / gAndhi dEsamE notwithstanding). His era had been mostly soft / romantic / sweet-on-ears / human relationships kinds with relatively less focus on political troubles, vaRumaikkodumai and such stuff. Look at even nizhalkaL, supposedly taken to highlight unemployment, ended up having all romantic / sweet stuff

Those odd successful ones that came during this era, like sattam oru iruttaRai , sivappu malli, thaNNeer^2, VNS - all went to other MDs. That MGR wasn't in the field and IR's not-so-great-working-relationship with TMS didn't help either. The net result is a severe lack of 'adhO andhappaRavai' kinds in his kitty, despite the kitty having a huge overall size.

This movie with the "robinhood" "vigilante" etc genre too got mostly romantic, soft & sweet numbers with just this exception. Even this one was a disappointment to me at the time of arrival. It definitely didn't meet the expectations of one whose childhood included running around in the school campus singing 'nenjam uNdu nErmai uNdu' with extra "horse sound" from the tongue BTW, nenjam uNdu was the first one in my voice ever to get recorded on a media (One day the school HM brought this new wonder to the school , the tape recorder, to the bewilderment of all of us. He demonstrated it to us by recording samples and I was among those to get the chance to sing).

Comparisons apart, this song with its trumpets + shenoy combo mixes excellently the muzhakkam with softer inner emotions. Obviously an IR speciality territory. His talent is unparallelled in making "heart-juice" with instrumental portions, an example of which is in the shenoy portion of interlude. SPB sings with a lot of feel as well which is not unusual. Meets iluppaippoo standards as far as political numbers are concerned