Page 209 of 400 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App, some bosses are more difficult than sakhadharmini. Currently I am going through one so I vehemently disagree

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bosses, in most cases, especially women, are a perennial pain in the wrong places: sAgA-adharminIs.

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, Divine22!

Plum & KV

(BTW, bosses change, like the change I had last month for the better...well, even we can decide to change the boss, in many situations...OTOH, pathni is for life and I better comply with the requirements )

Post Thanks / Like
    #184 பட்டுக்கன்னம் தொட்டுக்கொள்ள ஒட்டிக்கொள்ளும்
    (காக்கிச்சட்டை, 1985 , சுசீலாவுடன்)

groucho recently responded to request of hubbers (Plum, me) to post his Kamal analysis which is quite interesting. Especially the MGR-vArisu part and this portion is directly relevant to our songs 184-188 :

Quote Originally Posted by groucho
    Kakkichattai was a cop movie produced by MGR’s company, and there was no shortage of MGR posters in the film, and Kamal even prays to a still of a cop character played by MGR.
    My personal take on Kamal's journey :

He started off as Gemini's kid (Kalathur KaNNamma / pArthAl pasi theerum) and pretty much shaping as his 'vArisu' (kAdhal mannan v/s kadhal iLavarasan) until early seventies - doing either lover boy-isms or manmadha leelai's in crowded movies (not counting Malayalam ones). Or neechchal theriyAtha paridhAbam case in moonRu mudichchu, generally seeking romance or anudhAbam.

Though 16 V too started off in that 'anudhAbam' mode, thanks to his heavily drawing inspiration from NT (who too had a few in a similar 'handicap-anudhAbam' mode in the past) and the radically different setting from his prior ventures, he got a huge patti-thotti reach as a kadhAnayakan at last! So, 16V of Kamal proved him to be the NT-vArisu Well, he went on to do some terrific, image-breaking, varied roles in the next few years to be a actor / star on his own (sigappu rOjAkkaL, avaL appadiththAn, marO charitra, for e.g. - I don't think there was any vArisu business in those biggies).

Alas, there came this SKV and he was in the MGR-mode for a few years in TF, that was, till nAyakan. (Ofcourse the great sAgarasangamam / swAthi muthyam happened in TeF during that time period. It was reported that KH didn't want swAthimuthyam to be dubbed in TF and disturb his effort to build a macho image there...per gossips, he was even upset with SPB for 'dubbing').

Well, this "uniform" movie was from that period in which KH was magnanimous to give a good deal of space to Satyaraj (even imitating him of the adukkuththodar, 'police-police'). Rajasekar possibly made this movie per RMV specs (Sathya movies) and together they made a MGR-JJ movie with KH-ambi chEchi This song strongly reminds me of paruvam enathu pAdal (Ayirathil oruvan) and both have been playing in my mind during the weekend - though there're no similarities in tune or orchestration - just the "overall feel" & PS factor.

That way, 'pattukkannam' is an IR song for MGR-JJ While JJ excels in dance, chEchi is the opposite. Ofcourse, KH is a great dancer and as Venkkiram mentions in the KH thread in the TF section, he fits into any "foreign" costume as good as or better than MGR.

While this song totally belongs to PS (what a singing, the way she streches the last syllable of kannam, koLLa, koLLum - sweeeet), SPB has his inimitable laughter at the end of the first saraNam which sweetly syncs with the thALam! IR was in a roller-coaster mode with terrific orchestration / rhythm arrangement for this song that had a killer of a tune! One can never get tired of listening to this number!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grouch, Wonderful recap of all Kamal films with your master touch, with all details. App, your summarization was very cute.
    Felt like I was going to back to that period and coming all the way to present. Thank you!

I vaguely remember not getting tickets in Devi/Sathyam and rushed all the way to Albert in Egmore, I think, and finally managed to get tickets. We weren't so impressed overall with the movie when we came out, except for the songs, Kamal, Ambika, Madhavi and Sathyaraj.

Post Thanks / Like
    #185 வானிலே தேனிலா ஆடுதே பாடுதே
    வானம்பாடி ஆகலாமா?
    (காக்கிச்சட்டை, 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்)

My most fav song from this album at the time of arrival Though still a strong favourite, pattukkannam has overtaken this over the years. What a terrific shift from pallavi to saraNam in this song! And the rhythm arrangement for the pallavi! And the variations in the strings thru out the song! And the sweet humming in the second interlude with the drummer having a field day with his "dishes" (a big fav for me in such rAsA songs)! And the thuLLal tune and equally jumpy singing by my fav pair!

This song is another example of what comes out of IR's mind when he was probably on a very jolly, happy, carefree mood! Actually the whole album is such a sweet treat and I have a strong suspicion that either thangamagan or kAkkichchattai got some numbers that rAsA composed for MGR's 'unnai vida mAttEn' (There was front page news report in dinathanthi, some pictures of IR-MGR together, MV reportedly singing a song etc but the project never took off as MGR continued as CM till the end of his life, but these two Sathya movies' songs had strong MGR-flavour IMO).

There is no doubt, however, that MGR couldn't have given any inputs to these Sathya movies projects, definitely not kAkkichchattai as he was very sick by then. (I remember very clearly the tragedy striking both MGR & Indira in the same month of Oct 1984. I had an "inplant-training" in the BHEL's EDP at that time. I don't remember how I managed to get in there but it was quite an interesting experience with those "refrigerator-like" mainframe computer centers with tons of perforated papers getting printed by line printers. We wrote some COBOL programs though it wasn't in our regular syllabus and had some really nice time. It was the last day of our IPT that we had to walk back to hostel from BHEL because Indira got killed and there were no buses. The same night I had to go to Palayankottai for a personal function and a hostelmate dropped me off in cycle to Tiruverumbur Rly station. Took a local train to TPJ from there, waited the whole night for the Nellai express that finally came and reached me by almost 24 hours late to the destination getting into some stone-throwing on the way etc...unforgettable moments).

The whole album was a big hit and it was always a big treat to listen to these numbers on buses...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh..KAKKI SATTAI.
    Thanks MS & app_eng.

adadaa....

You boss means it App_eng.

Your girl just wants you to want to be there with her, not really want you to be with herஎல்லாத்தையும் விட்டு விட்டு , weekend பூரா

She is a big girl. She is fine.

Understand, it's the thought , App-eng. மனசால close ஆ இருக்கறது.

weekend பூரா வீட்டுல, மனைவி பின்னாலே hang around பண்ணி Don 't annoy the girl, app_eng.

She is fine.

Your boss means it. This economy, you don't want to risk it.
    then your girl will be a big problem for you

What the hell! you and your Ir kahanies cost my comforts and peace of mind!

புரிஞ்சுதோ

I will return to your song soon...

vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 24th October 2011 at 09:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    V_S & baroque,

Now that I've taken care of the backlog, can breathe a little bit before posting the song for today

Post Thanks / Like
    #186 கண்மணியே பேசு, மௌனம் என்ன கூறு
    (காக்கிச்சட்டை, 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்)

The song starts with a terrific, mangaLa shenoy sound and ventures into flute / strings and veeNai before SPB pours honey into our ears. Combined with the sweet tabla accompaniment and SJ humming, the prelude + pallavi alone is a main course meal. Everything that comes after are surplus goodies that keep making one fat. What a richee rich song! This one is a quintessential example of how to make a commercially successful song that is rich is musical quality but without any necessity for extraordinary innovation Trade mark IR song. For some reason, whenever I hear the recent 'swapnangaL kaNNezhudhiya' for a Sathyan Anthikkad movie, I get reminded of kaNmaNiyE pEsu, enna connectionO theriyalai.

Possibly the most tolerable song on screen as per my memory (no dance business I think and chEchi was not ugly). The most broadcast song as radio stations seemed to love this. Likewise, very popular on buses / teakkadais and audio recorders as well. With the typical tablA-bass-chords combo that could be called signature IR, this song is such a delight for night time listening (headphone & bed).

I remember watching this movie in a big theater in Trichy (Maris?) and it was a big success. Ofcourse I got bored and was feeling bad for Kamal after watching this movie (most other hostelmates who watched with me were more vocal in scolding him). But then, I had no reason to complain because IR had such a sweet array of laddoos for this - that could be enjoyed for years All in the sweet voice of SPB

Any time I hear this song, the instant reminder is the NSB road of 80's - from the main guard gate to thEradi bazaar - the crowded TeppakkuLam area / Saradhas / burma bazaar shops / the phenomenally economical stuff one can shop for / the Chinthamani super market / the Jothis tailoring where my chithappA (chithi's hubby whom I talked about earlier, a music system aficionado) got his safari's done (Virudhu patti-la irundhu inga vandhu thaippAru) / the entrance to malaikkOttai / the upstairs Vasantha Bhavan...all keep coming to mind so brightly! Things kept changing over the years, by 2003 a major portion of the road got annexed by Saradhas and Mangal...there was still some charm in the area but nothing like the 80's IMO...

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful writeup App for Udhayageetham and Kaakki Chattai. One can never get tired of listening to the songs from these albums. Nice perspective on Kamal's early career graph.