Page 204 of 400 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254304 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    dhevan thandha veenai is a rehash from shankar nag movie "Geetha" the original song being "Nanna jeeva neenu" - listen to it to see the "Actor" SPB in full glory(overacting...)
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #177 தேவன் தந்த வீணை
    (உன்னை நான் சந்தித்தேன், 1984 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Possibly the last number for the year in the compilation, fittingly a duet with SJ! Very melodious song with glorious tabla accompaniment. As mentioned briefly in a post in the last page, IIRC, Mohan did a "gaurava" role to the production house that gave him the mike-anic status, possibly acting for just this song (with mike on the stage) and may be a couple other scenes. Sujatha acted young and old in this movie that also had Sivakumar, Revathy, Suresh. The director possibly wanted to impress his ADMK MLA producer and tried a 'rAjAvin pArvai rANiyin pakkam' styled song with Revathy-Suresh doing the Sarojadevi-MGR act

Feel-good movie with some great songs (possibly a remake from neighboring language movies). Had the other standard support of GM to ensure a decent run. (Is Y Vijaya the jodi to GM in this?)

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ஆஹா... ராஜ சங்கீதம்!

பாலா's aalaap, bass கிடார், வயோலின், flute , ஜில்லென்ற ஜானுவும்...What a stress buster !
    வாழ்க்கையில் எல்லாமே அனுபவிச்சாச்சு 80sலேயே. ...

Hip Hip Hurray, App_eng & tfmpage!

thanks , Raja's photo in the video!
    love
    vinatha
    Last edited by baroque; 18th October 2011 at 12:03 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a song to finish the glorious 1984. Thanks a lot App! Only one hiccup to this great composition being வீணை always sounds like விணை to me. Normally Maestro does not make such mistakes in sandham, still could not fully enjoy due to this.

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi baroque & yw V_Sji

வீணை always sounds like விணை

BTW, that number #177 was for Saturday and I have to post 3 more to catch up.

First of all, I'll do the 1984 hyperlinks post and start 1985 with another Motherland pictures movie (that had a ton of SPB hits), without worrying about alpha order

Post Thanks / Like
    So, 1983 beats 1984 by one song (38 v/s 37).

I'm not sure whether there'll be another year with so many hits as observed by me. (There may be more in the coming years but I was out of TN starting from Jan'86 and wasn't exposed to all of them...IIRC, 1985 wasn't that big a year for SPB-IR combo...mudhal mariyAdhai had all MV, sindhu bhairavi had all KJY...let us see how it goes!

There's another interesting stat for 1984, possibly the max number of hits by the glorious combo SPB-SJ-IR : 24 out of the 37

Post Thanks / Like
    #178 சங்கீத மேகம் தேன் சிந்தும் நேரம்
    ஆகாயம் பூக்கள் தூவும் காலம்
    நாளை என் கீதமே எங்கும் உலாவுமே
    என்றும் விழாவே என் வாழ்விலே
    (உதய கீதம், 1985 )

I'll have to finish up all the "college related recollects" within this year Despite the 6 month's detour in the first sem to create this 1 year gap for our seniors, the journey got over by Dec 85 when last ejjAms / project vivA all got over, making me start the first job in Jan'06, even before final results came in.

It was a year of hectic activities - project, campus / otherwise interviews, usual ejjAms, in addition to the main course of "final yeardom" that had its extra privileges

For e.g. we had the headship of most committees in Festember. Though I wasn't a worthwhile talent in any art form, thanks to politics, I had the privilege of heading "prizes" committee - that essentially meant arranging clean up of all the shields, organizing "brasso / silvo" work for them, oversee production of momento's / certificates, run a booth that exchanged the actual prizes for the vouchers given at events and finally stand in the stage during valedictory to carry the shields to the chief-guest for handing over to winning colleges.

One may wonder why should I be talking about that here. Well, vishayam irukku.

Either the year I joined (81) or the prior year, rAsA was supposedly the invitee for festember and he donated a huge shield (when I wasn't present and it seems most light music contestants sang 'vAsamillA malaridhu' to his dismay). So, though rAsA wasn't there for my on-stage occasion (i.e. on-stage as edu-pidi), the huge shield with rAsA's name as donor (which was awarded to the overall top winner college at that point of time) was there and made the task a little memorable

hA, there I made a little connection to this forum

Well, this was the year of udhaya geetham! A phenomenal SPB-dominated album for Motherland pictures (with Mohan and his favourite companion on hand). I don't remember the exact time of arrival of this movie but definitely viewed it a few times in Trichy and thoroughly enjoyed the songs! The shocking, unexpected scene just prior to the interval was a stunner! Ofcourse big idi for logic, as Revathy is shown as having 'kanavu scene' in this sweet sangeetha mEgham. (There's even a girl's humming in the interlude).

Still, what a song! Terrific orchestration and sweet singing by Balu! The drumwork is one of my all-time favourites!

Post Thanks / Like
    #179 பாடு நிலாவே தேன் கவிதை பூ மலர
    (உதய கீதம், 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்)

One of the most popular blogs on SPB has its name as பாடும் நிலா பாலு that obviously refers to this sweet hit song from udhaya geetham. When I watched the movie for the first time, extremely impressed with the sichchuvEshan for this song - girl standing outside the prison and conveying her feelings to a prisoner. Though in modern setting, it reminded one of historicals - there may be similar songs in movies as well but definitely reminded me of some classical sariththira novels, specifically ponniyin selvan, where VanthiyaththEvan finds himself often in prison with the princess having feelings for him. Well, as the movie progressed, it didn't prove to be worthy of such imaginations even though the songs were of very high order.

It did contain Motherland pictures' regular stuff - GM comedy, nice songs, some interesting story (possibly borrowed from one of neighboring languages again) - and a special "300th film of rAsA" tag, all ensuring a successful run. Revathy switched to modern dress and was still tolerable and earned the 'versatility' pass mark.

Question - though I know this is a Mu.Mehta song, not sure if this was his first cine song - can someone throw light?

Don't have much college memories associated with udhayageetham movie - though I would like to pump some in each post Well, this year was one of memorable cricket events - specifically the terrific semi final adichchu-noRukkal by Kapil in the WCC!

We were in the common room watching the match in the terrific Australian channel (first time in life seeing such brilliant coverage, Richie Benaud's expert commentary etc) when there was a brief power failure Ran to the room for a battery operated radio to continue with some tense moments when power came back. The TV room was packed, hot / sweating, with everyone holding their breath as asking run rate was climbing up. Richard Hadlee had a tight spell and was threatening to stop the glorious run of India. With what style Kapil settled the matter! (Yes, this was the match in which the veggie killed a seagull and was requesting veLLam and the competitive Hadlee objected, not giving any inch of comfort to the enemy). Well, the whole WCC ended letting Indians claim "down under, we are thunder" (pinnE, L Sivaramakrishnan ellAm shine paNNi, Ravi Shastri Audi car'la Mohindar thaNNi bottle Oda valam vandhadhu enna oru scene)!

The year had another deadly cricket match in Sharjah, called Rothman's cup where Pak dismissed India for 125. India won the match, however, dismissing Pak for 87 (Sunny taking four sweet catches). We really had a high during college days in Cricket!
    Last edited by app_engine; 19th October 2011 at 02:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    #180 தேனே தென்பாண்டி மீனே
    இசைத் தேனே இசைத்தேனே
    மானே இளமானே
    நீ தான் செந்தாமரை, ஆரிராரோ
    நெற்றியில் மூன்றாம் பிறை, தாலேலேலோ
    (உதயகீதம், 1985 )

rAsA and thAlAttu are made for each other. This most practical form of TFM had always found golden touch from this composer and we have innumerable beauties.

With all kinds of 'mAnE-thEnE-ellAm-pOttukkanga' stuff, this is one among them from the hit movie in the sweet voice of SPB. Mohan sings inside the prison at the request of a fellow prisoner I think. This song also connects him with his mom which is one of the 'not-so-difficult-to-guess' thingies in the movie (with Lakshmi looking awful in the cop costume). Almost adding to the masAlA nature of the movie, valindhu thiNikkappatta feeling...

There's also a SJ version of the song in the disk. It is another case like kAdhalin deepam onRu - never enjoyed the female version that much. Possibly because she deliberately sounded old. OTOH, the melodious SPB version was often played as a lullaby to myself and was part of my first "recorded cassette" (along with mEgham kottattum that we've talked about earlier). Guaranteed to make kids sleep if you play the SPB version (opposite effect if I sing myself, kids may get hyper )

Song was a patti-thotti hit in TN and was often heard on buses. Overall, however, this album had a relatively less reach than NPP in my opinion. Still, by now the rAsA brand, echo disks getting converted into TDK cassettes at recording centers, teakkadai music, bus music all have become part of the cultural identity of TN and became inseparable from the daily lives of TN-ers. My chithappA (i.e. husband of the last chithi who lived with our grand parents in karmaveerar's ooru) had a recording center as "side business" -possibly around this time I think, for a couple of years, apart from his gov job. It was always a pleasurable trip those days to go visit them and treat myself with a lot of music in terrific music systems...