Page 171 of 400 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221271 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    You have not answered a single point I made. Instead, your responses are more and more generic and circumventing my points. Why?
    For starters, I didn't ever point the lack of lip-sync as a problem so why justify lack of lip-sync

Do you pretend not to understand or just another muddying tactic?
    It is very simple. You prefer Telugu lyrics over Tamil based on your understanding of Kamal's character. Since I am not exposed to Telugu Brahmin culture, I am missing the whole point. It is probably same with VM also. End of story.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, KV...hope my food analogies weren't irritating.

Before someone jumps into the conclusion that I'm a glutton / food maniac, big disclaimer - I still continue to be more or less a lean fellow and not a great connoisseur of foods.

Last evening my amerikkan boss was asking me to choose a restaurant for project launch celebration (we just finished a launch that I worked for almost a year) but my memory on restaurants / food stuff is so bad that I was in mode, finally blurting out "olive garden, my fav".

Post Thanks / Like
    The funny thing about that "olive garden" is the fact that on 99% of my visits there, it was the same "soup & salad" and same minestrone soup each time and filling up the stomach with the great breadsticks

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,
    Was missing the fun. Excellent posts with some wonderful memories. I really enjoyed your post on keeping track of salangai oli as well as 1983 world cup match against zimbabwe. Yes you cannot miss either of them.

But my favorite of salangai oli is 'Vedham Anuvilum our Nadham'. As I said in my mudhal mariyaadhai post, my top most favorite film and this would be my top most composition. Added to that, this is one song I can hear/watch million times without getting tired. Especially when Shailaja remembers kicking him intentionally while learning dance from him and feeling guilty during this song is the true highlight where KV beats IR here (may be first time ). KV takes this song to a level even IR would have never thought of. A True classic!

Another reason I could not think of any song which has just the notes (swaras) giving so much bhaavam. I normally hear many judges in TV shows saying notes has nothing, but beyond the notes, there is bhaavam, feel, soul, which the singers should bring out. But here again Raja is unique in bringing out the emotion with swaras only, no lyrics. Way beyond anybody's imagination. I am totally bowled out by the starting swaras SPB sings and the swaras which follows the first line of charanam 'sangeetha naatiyame oru yaaagam' .

Ultimate lines in 'Uyir pirinthaalum nadamiduvene, en uyirai thedukireen maane', 'Natarajan padhathil thalai saayuma, naan sindum kanneerum karai meeruma' and 'saavin osai ketkum pOdhum paadham aadaadho'.

What an energy in this composition and how many twists and turns. Nothing like this!

Plum and Genesis, very interesting discussion. Thanks Plum for providing very good insights of telugu lyrics. Original is always the best, no comparison can be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, V_S, for the fine write-up on vEdham!

I've reserved my most fav to post in the end With SPB-SJ-IR-great melody-sweet picturization - it screams aloud (despite promoting otherwise in the pallavi) for the gold medal Unfortunately, there'll be some food reference (not a wholesale takeover) in that post as well...

Post Thanks / Like
    சலங்கை ஒலிக்கும் சாப்பாட்டுக்கும் சம்பந்தம் செய்வது மொட்டத்தலை+முழங்கால் / அமாவாசை+அப்துல் காதர் போல என்றாலும், இரும்படிக்கும் இடத்தில் வரும் ஈ போன்ற எனக்கு வேறு என்ன எழுதத்தெரியும்?

(பி.கு. நான் இசை விமரிசகன் அல்லவே)

Post Thanks / Like
    #140 மௌனமான நேரம், இளமனதில் என்ன பாரம்?
    (சலங்கை ஒலி, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்)

If anything wants to be called "sukhAnubhavam", then that has to feel like listening to this song!

Period!

No exceptions!

Like the smile of a child, feel of a furry pet, smell of a certain bakery when you walk on the lane parallel to Virudhunagar bazAr...or the fantastic meal cooked by my friend's mom...on the day he played this very song in his house's motta mAdi at uRaiyoor. She is among the top cooks who have ever fed me ( a very select few in that "lifetime list")!

We've met this friend before in this thread as the one who had a taste for old HFM LP's and a lover of RDB. Also as the one who was among the early ones to get "that" National Panasonic stereo and played his demo cassette featuring Paul Mauriat's arrangement of Mozart Symphony. Well, this was the occasion when he played that cassette, followed by playing the salangai oli songs! The music listening session after a top-taste-meal on banana leaf!

(Such a nice guy who sweetly reminded me, like, "hey, there's soap near the wash basin", and thus introduced me that nice habit of washing with soap! Even after all those flu messages getting posted in the bath rooms, I often see fellows here in the corporate office of a top multinational in America walk straight back to seat from urinal without handwash, yuck).

As mentioned before, he is now my co-bro (bachelor at the time when we both slAgiththufied music in his mottamAdi on a warm evening, enjoying the breeze along with PM & IR...didn't know it was PM then, also he wasn't a rAsA fanatic like me but enjoyed all kinds of music). Attending his wedding 2 years later resulted in me finding my mate, proving this theory : "marriages are made in wedding ceremonies"

This song must be one of the best picturized songs ever in IFM history, IMSO. Especially the scene where JP switches on the music system, sits on the floor -enjoying, immersed in thoughts while drying her hair! Wow! SPB & SJ both in their very special elements, right from the humming in the prelude till the end. rAsA had enough kalakkals, with his tempo changes / stop-starts and what not! simbly pugundhu veLayAdal! The melody, interludes, background orchestration - all top class stuff!

Despite enjoying all the songs and being overwhelmed by them, I wasn't expecting that they'll give NA to IR. After all, there had been phenomenal scores like nizhalgaL that went unnoticed before and we had zero expectation. There was this notion that only "serious" stuff gets NA. It was a surprise that a janaranjaka album like sAgara sangamam got NA, despite comprising of lighties like vAn pOlE, thakida thadhimi & mounamAna nEram - the kinds with no parallels in the prior NA winning music of KV/KVM combo

The appAviththanam, vekuLiththanam, lajjai etc shown by Kamal after developing feelings for the rich woman - AhA, enna azhagu, enna azhagu!

I'm a little confused to see that SPB won NA too for sAgara sangamam. Confusion because the article says year 1984 as I very clearly remember this to be a 1983 movie. Someone please clear this confusion...
    Last edited by app_engine; 9th September 2011 at 03:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, 1983 is done! I'll post the compilation of url's tomorrow.
    (This time I'll avoid the "arabian nights story" style linking and provide all 140 together in one post if possible)

Post Thanks / Like
    Kv, firstly there was no discussion between Genesis and me.
    Sorry to pick on you but that is precisely the superficial reading that annoys me.
    Even now, gen hasn't understood my posts. Obviously, an opposite view point is to be welcomed.
    But here, there is no opp view point. He makes 3 posts seeming as if he is contradicting me and finally comes to the same conclusion as me.

I see this in two lines
    1) Lack of understanding of what I posted but an urge to defend his idol. That urge is acceptable but I also expect logic along with it
    2) An attempt to muddle the water by saying unrelated or muddling things and devaluing the discussion

To call this a discussion - I take that as an insult. Again, I don't mean to pick on you and I respect you and your contribution here but just wanted to express my annoyance at the way a genuine discussion is being prevented by either lack of understanding or cunning or both

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry the post is addressed to v_s not kv