Page 165 of 400 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    App anna

unga listla eppO "Salangai Oli " Varuthu, I cant wait for that, what a movie what a songs
    Like I indicated before, this will be the last movie that'll get posted for the year 1983, even though alphabetically and chronologically ahead of many (came in the summer)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Before I jump into the next song, another observation on the 'thoongAthE' song, that supports the theory of deliberate MGR-ism, even from IR's part - that portions of the song draw heavy inspiration from MSV songs. One is 'nAn pAththA paiththiyakkArEn, Om pAttanukkum vaiththiyam pAppEn' of neethikkuththalai vaNangu for the pallavi (the song DMDK chief recently quoted when mu-kA ridiculed VK as paiththiyam).

The other one is a Sivaji song - 'jinjinukkAm chinnakkiLi sirikkum pachchaikkiLi' of rAjapArt rangadurai. 'pAththAkkA ALu romba muRukku' of the saraNam sounds very similar to 'thOlirukka soLa muzhungum ALu' in TTT saraNam...

Post Thanks / Like
    #132 சோலைப்பூவில் மாலைத்தென்றல் ஆடும் நேரம்
    (வெள்ளை ரோஜா, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Lovely song with a special rhythm arrangement. Song that instantly brings that evening feel - even the 70's evening feel despite being an 80's number. Possibly because I yearned to hear this number on SLBC a lot but alas that was not going to be in the coming years ok, let me not get into the whole sOgam part when discussing this happy number...

veLLai rOjA, featuring Sivaji in dual role + Prabhu / Ambika + Suresh / Radha was another hit movie from 1983 deepAvaLi with rAsA music. That meant, a hit movie for rAsA with each of the three biggie stars (NT-KH-RK) released on the same day - which was quite a rare thing for any MD

This one was supposedly a remake from Malayalam and I managed to see at "bhelec", after it ran out of steam in the main city theaters. Late seeing means having to listen to lot of hype prior. So, after all that hype about "murder-mystery" etc, got totally irritated while watching the movie. (Sivaji enjoyed playing multiple roles - 'dEvanin kOyililE' "vellai rOjA" priest, police inspector, 'nAgooru pEttaiyilE' disguise as muslim - but the director, same Jagannathan who did thangamagan, messed it up big time). Probably a much better original in Malayalam but I never cared to find out what it was.

Suresh-Radha song in excellent hilly / foresty setting with an exclusive "loop" created by rAsA. So sweet - seems he himself was proud of it as he included a brief postlude featuring that. The melodic prelude is one of his very best as well. A relatively long pallavi adds to the sweetness. Top star pair SPB-SJ delivering it with a lot of enthu - the "nana nana nana nana na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na" humming in the end of the saraNam is exquisite - making this song stay in mind forever. There's such a perfect sync between that humming, the rhythm, the overall background score -AhA- mesmerizing!

Sure they don't make songs like'em anymore!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Sure they don't make songs like'em anymore!
    Edjactly ..What a song ..Thanks App for the song and the nice write up ..

Post Thanks / Like
    #133 ஒ மானே மானே மானே உன்னைத்தானே
    (வெள்ளை ரோஜா, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Though this song got my 2nd rank only (i.e. after 'sOlaippoovil'), among the public it was the top hit . There was even a movie made with the first line as its title (Mohan-Oorvashi starrer where Kamal sang a song as pinnaNippAdakar for Mohan ). Nice song, with the celebrated SPB-SJ pair singing in the 'made-for-each-other' mode, reverberated all around TN via radio / buses / tea-stalls / recording centers etc. Its rise to top spot at that time could be due to the Prabhu factor or better picturization (I don't remember how it looked like on screen). Whatever, it was more popular and I'm not complaining. ellAmE rAsAvOda puLLainga thAnE

I remember posting about my next door hostelmate who was a big ambi chEchchi admirer (ok, on one side was the KBR fan who became a biggie in wireless telecom field - this mech engieer was on the other side). He was crazy during this time period -even having her pic in the room Though we used to watch a lot of movies, discuss about them all the time etc, it was unusual among my wingmates to host an actress poster in the room. Mainly because most of us were "studious" category and also "bayandhAnguLees for unexpected appA-ammA visit". adhaiyum meeRi if he had a poster, one can understand how much crazy he was! (Well, what I may never understand is how one can go crazy over ANY actress). IIRC, it was a Bombay Dyeing poster which was something like 50% of actual size. They released similar posters on most top actresses those days, in saree (another one I can remember is of Sridevi's), and such posters were quite popular in hostels.

There was also this craze for cricket star's posters - Sportstar was quite a rage then - and the clothing companies had such cricketer posters as well. I remember going to Trichy NSB road / TheppakkuLam area with a number of classmates and watched them beg the storewAlA for such posters. (More on the 1983 summer later). While on this, I should not forget mentioning the beloved ice cream shop in singArathOpe - Sea Kings (I think they had a branch in BHEL township also, like Chella stores). What a lovely place to go in that hot town when malaikkOttai radiates heat in the evening!

Much like rAsA song, another love those days 'O mAnE mAnE mAnE' reminds me of Seakings' delights - though I don't think I ever heard that song in that shop.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    That was Jamuna, app. Yesteryear heroine of jaisankar etc. Remember anbulla maanvizhiye?

TTT - where's grouch?
    UllEn ayyA.

The film that made me a fan of Kamal.

The cassetes had the scenes before the particular songs. Like "Janagaraj: Oosipottukittu pengalOdu vilayadalAm. PengalOdu vilayAdittu OosipOttukalAm", Kamal, "Neengga Oosipodungga please", then straight to the phsychedellic opening of VAnam Keezhe song.

Tea kada bench fight, I fell in love. Of course, later I found out it was inspired by Jackie Chan's Drunken Master.

Mom dismissed it as KalyanarAman remake, not even the drug addict angle make her change her mind

As mentioned before, IR's version of nAnAga nAn illai felt better.

Songs were played in a mall back in hometown (deepavali time), Varuthu Varuthu stood out.

App, kalakkurEngga. The MGR connection makes sense, as we were MGR fans then, and it was easy to fall for Kamal here.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    App, oh mane mane being a bigger hit = ambi chechi factor. Ask grouse.
    Thangai never reached akka's levels of popularity maong adolescent youth, although, much as I am frightened by her boxer shoulders, I too think better of thangai rather than Chechi

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    App, oh mane mane being a bigger hit = ambi chechi factor. Ask grouse.
    Oru vagaiyila, yes. But that was the time when Sivaji-Oda payyan (local paper Q&A on him said, "pulikku piranthathu...") fascination was growing. I was already a fan from Kozhi Koovuthu. Imagine the anti-circle. Prabhu->Kamal->Rajini->Sivaji.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,
    Nice recollection of college times. I too remember having some posters of Madonna, Whitney and even Samantha fox ('touch me' song was so famous that time) in our room. But we used to remove those posters in a hurry when my parents or relatives arrive. We used to purchase the weekly 'Sun' magazine that time where it will feature top (US/UK) 10 songs and albums and we immediately go the shop and record those songs.

I remember seeing this film thrice in theatre especially for that Radha/Sivaji murder suspense, during the interval Another freezing moment. May be that was the first time I saw such a thrilling movie. App, My favorite too is 'Solai Poovil' then only comes 'Maane Maane'.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    வெள்ளை ரோஜா.. அசத்தலான கதை. பாதிரியார்...கொலை..திருப்பங்கள்..புலனாய்வு..காதல். . இப்படிப் பட்ட கதைக்களம் அப்போ புதியது. "ஓ மானே மானே"... இன்ஸ்டன்ட் ஹிட். எனக்கு உலகமெலாம் பருவமழை, நாகூர் பக்கத்துல பாடல்கள் ரொம்ப பிடிக்கும். அதுக்கு அப்புறம் ஓ மானே மற்றும் சோலைப்பூவில்... வெள்ளை ரோஜா என்றவுடனே ஞாபகத்திற்கு வருவது சாட்சிகளை வரிசையாக நிற்கவைத்து திருடனை கண்டுபிடிக்கும் காட்சியில் காவலர் சிவாஜியின் முகப் பாவனைகள். சிறந்த நகைச்சுவைக்கு இதையும் பரிந்துரைக்கலாம்.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...