Page 144 of 400 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #109 பேசக்கூடாது, வெறும் பேச்சில் சுகம் ஏதுமில்லை
    (அடுத்த வாரிசு, 1983 , சுசீலாவுடன்)

The Rajinikanth-Silukku song on screen

Let me put a disclaimer - I have nothing personal against Silukku - actually pity her, such a talented person who got totally misguided and killed herself in the end Also, if one resigns to the fact that movies had / have / will have such a character in them anyways, then there's no question that she has no parallel - including most heroines who too tried to do the same thing on screen. So, my irritation was not against a person but the irrelevance of the kind of character she represented to such a great song.

ஆசை கூடாது, மணமாலை கண்டு, சொந்தம் கொண்டு... thus goes the lines with ammA (i.e. akkA of SPB) singing in a very homely way and one expected it to have a kind of scene that fits that. And not a swimming pool number with a call girl - yuck

Well, if one didn't love the song too much prior to going to the theater when released, they may not have such a strong irritation. It was one of those too-much-loved-songs for me when we got the cassette. The very new style of background (possibly the new keyboard that rAsA got at that point of time) including the terrific ending sound were so loved by me and was never tired of listening to this number. (Even now, I hear this song often on drives).

Going by the lyric and the choice of PS, I'm sure IR/SPB/Lyricist/PS didn't build the song for what finally got presented on screen. Perhaps the director too didn't plan it that way but ended up later that way - which can be blamed on disti's.

In any case, fantastic singing by SPB (Ekkam appadiyE izhaiyOdum) with a sharp contrast from PS (mature, disciplined)...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I completley agree about the pEsa koodathu song, I was irritated by such scene as well. I heard the song before seeing the film, and I was totally annoyed by the presentation! The song sounds like sweet innconect romantic duet!

and Like you said PS does sound so much like an "akka" to SPB
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    #108 காவிரியே கவிக்குயிலே கண்மணியே வா வா
    (அடுத்த வாரிசு, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்)

First time, I am hearing this, infact "pEsa koodathu" was the only song I remember from AV, as it was a mokka film, I have not remembered much of the song!
    Apparently I overestimated you as Rajini and SPB fan. This thread is indeed useful. More app, more!!!

Kaviriye Kavikuyile, to me, is like sequel to O Vasantha Raja...there's something similar.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    #108 காவிரியே கவிக்குயிலே கண்மணியே வா வா
    (அடுத்த வாரிசு, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்)

A rocking hit number featuring one of the top on-screen pairs, Rajinikanth-Sridevi and sung by the top duet singer pair! A song whose traces can be seen in songs in other languages, including the 'kaisE kahEn' of new millennium. A song that thrilled all of us with its fantastic percussion arrangements when arrived - one in which Raja showcased some sounds made by his new toys!

One tends to think that SPB got so thrilled to sing this number, going by his enthu It appeared that the producer spent quite some money (by standards of those days) to get portions of this movie shot in a Rajastan palace / lake. This song, as indicated by the motor boat sound in the prelude, was on the lake and was a typical

While the album can easily get a top rating (MV's Asai nooRu vagai too occured in this), the movie was so-so and the most disappointing thing for me on screen will be in the next post...
    This is a rather special song for me. Particular favorite of my daughter who loves the "Sweet heart" portion of the song too much.
    The picturisation was also classy (for an AVM kadai movie).
    SPB simply eases into the song and Raaja sets up a wonderful arrangement of instrumental portions synth as well as real in perfect balance.
    I was doubtful if this song would make it in app's list and was ready mentally to make a plea to include it... So delighted to see App already adding it..
    I particularly like the hindi portions in the song "Saiyya more saiyya, Ae dheko Ae dheko... Saiyya more saiyya.. Kaali ghata chaye dekho na, aaa jaaa saiyya ,are mo re saiyya"
    How to pack in which akshar in which note without spoiling it - one should learn from Baalugaaru!!! sooper..
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes View Post
    The picturisation was also classy (for an AVM kadai movie).
    jai,
    IIRC, the production was done by one "துவாரகீஷ் சித்ரா"...is it an other-lang version of AVM?

Post Thanks / Like
    The name Dwarkish Chitra, which also apparently produced nAn adimai illai, reeks of a Kannada smell. Must be a Kannada Production house. Dont think it was AVM's clone

Post Thanks / Like
    In the spirit of catching more eye-balls, spamming this thread with a post made in another thread:
    (smart strategy, piggy back on app's dedicated fan-base that visits this thread.)
    -------
    Last song to catch my fancy:
    vurukulayi godavari from Abhilasha.
    Abhilasha, I have always neglected as a poor cousin of Challenge, what with Yendamuri, Chiranjeevi and the director(whose name I forget) combining yet again.

It doesn't help that the primary memory I took away on first watch were, well, Radhika in tights, Silk-Smitha-ish thigh-cut skirts pop-dancing away with the unruly mop-ped Chirugaaru, with his trademark (weird for non-fans, genius for fans) dancing moves.

Radhika - for all her general acting talent - isn't really my idea of a glamorous pop-star, a role she simulated again for Kannan vandhu paadugindran, thereby spoiling the song for me.

Therefore, I suppose I can be excused for mentally mapping Abhilasha as that album with Chiru-with-his-gymnastic-tricks "banti chamanti" and Radhika-prancing-for "vela paala ledhu"(in tamil SPS crooned this tune as "aadai kondu aadum" for some other movie - not, I think, a remake of this one).

When you assume like that, it is only natural that you end up as what they say happens to you and me when we assume.

So, then, this song shoots like a meteor into my life recently. I have heard it before - just not paid enough attention.
    It is a grand number, with wind instruments ruling the roost raising images of wind-surfing on a placid river. One true test of Raja songs for eternal life is what we in this parts have put together as "escalating melody". I am not sure who coined it(I fancy it might have been myself) but it describes the song perfectly.
    The grand wind-instrument opening leads to SPB, joyfully, as he only can, crooning the opening lines with mirth and excitement. As Janaki joins with a fitting riposte, SPB moves into heart-warming territory with "...shruti telupe murali", Janaki returns that with interest in "chigurakku...siri muvva ravali".
    So far so good. Like a Fed-Nadal point, robust exchanges. Then SPB delivers the knock-out punch with an intoxicating, dreamy "rasa mayam jagathi".

But the real matter lies in the saranams. As I mentioned, it is here that the escalating melody shows up. It is one of those SPB-only-possible moments, as the tune, like a Anil Kumble floater, takes very minor twists and turns, and each turn holding a very subtle emotion. It is far tougher, as countless batsmen from the 90s will agree, to face up to such minor variations than with the big-turning, clearly demarcated emotional roller-coasters.

Thus goes SPB
    naa pEdha hridayam // Robust declaration, but a typical lover-ish self-pitying reference to "my poor heart"
    nee prema nilayam // "is your playground for Love". Moon-struck offer. The tune is same as previous line but you have to show a shift in the emotion
    nAdhaina brathukE E nAdO nIdhainadhi // The subtle breaks SPB uses to punctuate this sentence are breathtaking - nA...dhainA brathukE..pause..E nAdO... is sheer genius at work. ("My life became yours ere long")
    neevanna manushE I nAdu nAdhainadhi // Wonder, and joy at the culmination of the love and togetherness.

And here again, SPB has a knock-out punch to finish the stanza:
    oka gundE AbhilAshA
    padhi mandhikki brathukainadhi.

I just cannot get enough of the last two lines as SPB packs so much into them - I am infact, so broken down in emotion and sheer amazement at the art, that I would need the help of those reading this to listen to the song and help me list down what all SPB covered in those two lines. (suresh, raagas - pls help with links)

Intriguing lines, too. Until now, it is a personal ballad speaking of their love. These lines really raise my curiosity?
    oka gundE AbhilAshA
    padhi mandhikki brathukainadhi.
    - "One heart's desire gave life to 10 people"

Why would it, I mean? Is he referring to the living made by sundal-wallahs, bribe-taking policemen, cinema halls selling tickets etc as among the 10 people who make a living from a heart's desire, as they do benefit from lovers' desire to be together?

Nah! More likely a reference to the film's theme, I guess. Raagas/suresh can throw more light.
    Abhilasha is about a young lawyer, trying to highlight a loophole in the law, in a bid to legislate it out of the law-book. He arranges a fake murder, planning, reasonably enough, that he'll go through the legal rigmarole, and eventually, reveal all in the film's climax, thereby exposing the loopholes in the law. Only, the fake murder turns out to be anything but fake and he is forced to be on the run.

Would those lines, then, refer to the hero's desire to abolish this loop-hole in the law, which presumably, would benefit atleast 10 people?
    Not really sure, and not really sure why such a sentiment makes its way to a love-duet.

Such, then, are the pleasures of Raja-triggered nostalgia, thought-coordination, and musings.

I'll leave you without a link(which will surely materialise soon if I know my suresh/raagas well enough as I presume I do) but with SPB, bringing his full hand of magic tricks, lapping my ears with wave after wave of the addictive, escalating melody

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    wat about Telugu SPB and Raja combo nu app kitae kaeka nenachen..u start Plum.lovely song.. lovely write up....

wat abt alli billi kalala raave....
    Usha Sankar

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    rasa mayam ja ga dhi - ipadi sapce vidanam Plum...
    Beautiful and Best Chorus............. so swweeeeeeet........
    Usha Sankar

Post Thanks / Like
    ja..ga...thi - yes, Usha, you put it right. The pause between the syllables makes the song.

One reason why I cannot make this a series like app is
    a) my inconsistency as a writer - I am more often in writer's block mode than actual writing mode.
    b) Unlike app, who encountered the IR-SPB songs linearly in Life, and are punctuated by vivid college memories(not sure whether the music punctuated his college life, or his college life punctuated the IR-SPB magic in his life), my experience of these Telugu songs are primarily aural, in random order through my Life. It is very difficult to put together a coherent narrative.

I'll be sporadic - as usual. But promise when I do post, I will try to cover as much facets of the song as possible including trivia and empty opinions.