Page 116 of 400 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    //#79 ஏய் ஆத்தா
    (பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 )

The lowest ranked song of PM, possibly introduced to get something "mass" Offensive first line that was criticized by one and all but the song was a big hit nevertheless. //

App - IMHO, this is the second best song in PM. I do not think even IR has made so many nice "sophasticated" (in your words) kuththu songs. Adiye Manam Nillunna from Neengal Kettavai is another Kuththu favorite of mine.

//#81 மணியோசை கேட்டு எழுந்து
    (பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்)
    In the screen too they show the female singer in a totally sOgham way (apart from the struggling Mohan). Supposedly Kalyani Menon (who sang 'nee varuvAi ena nAn irundhEn' in the movie Sujatha under MSV & 'sevvAnamE pon mEghamE' in nallathoru kudumbam under IR's baton; mom of Rajiv Menon who did minsArakkanavu / kaNdu koNdEn*2 )...someone please confirm//

Are you sure? I thought it was some supporting actress - she does some facial expressions in the song. On ther side, Mike Mohan coughs in synch with SPB real well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    Are you sure? I thought it was some supporting actress
    Not sure, that's why I wanted the opinions of other hubbers...I think someone said in tfmpage it was K Menon...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    Oh I do have "Short" term memory, will take a look , thanks
    One such post by knowledgable DF-er, Vijay, here...

BTW, read Manisekaran's writing on 'mAdha un kOvilil' in the first post of that thread for an interesting titbit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    Oh I do have "Short" term memory, will take a look , thanks
    Another one by saradha madam where the "original" is not even credited to IR

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

80sஇளையராஜா, வைரமுத்து, பாலா கூட்டணி.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maniyosai Kettu has very strong resemblance to Matha Un Koyilil. That song is one of IR's favourite song w/o any doubt. It was his concert opening song before it was replaced by "Janani Janani". There is no wonder he wanted it to be sung by his favorite Shreya Ghosal. (My Hypothesis: IR wanted to use this song as "Pichchai" song in Naan Kadavul, but director Bala wanted to use some other song)
    Last edited by genesis; 12th July 2011 at 05:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    genesis,
    I don't think IR favors "official" recycles of his songs, especially for a reasonably "original" movie maker of Bala's calibre.

It was more of Bala's idea to grab 'pichchaippAthiram' (a thanippAdal by IR) for the beggar scenes and 'mAdhA un kOvilil' (of achchANi) to connect the conversion of a blind beggar girl to Christianity... I think there was this mild push of the writer's "anti-conversion" agenda as well, which got chopped off by editor or censor.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    One such post by knowledgable DF-er, Vijay, here...

BTW, read Manisekaran's writing on 'mAdha un kOvilil' in the first post of that thread for an interesting titbit...
    Thanks anna, I have read his post in the first page !
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    #82 வைகறையில் வைகை கரையில் வந்தால் வருவேன் உன்னருகில்
    (பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 )

The last song of the movie, another 'bhaktippAdal-like' number with pathos emotions. The clear Atta nAyakan of this song is SPB who sings with a lot of feeling and nails the last 'Ah Ah' in the saraNam so beautifully. IR, on his part, uses shenoy very effectively to bring the peculiar feel of pathos + temple-like tone. A very unique song in cinema format, this one. (If someone plays this in a riverside village temple in the morning or evening, people'll mistake this for a typical bhaktippAdal but it's equally effective on-screen to suit the strong emotions of the singer).

A definite evergreen number which was popular at the time of arrival too. Actually all the songs of PM enjoyed considerable airtime, bustime, teashop time, function time, festival time etc! They were everywhere in TN for months and the movie too ran for months (silver jubilee in more than one place IIRC). Popularized this 'mike Mohan' thingy with which adaimozhi he is known till today SN Surendar needs special mention too (who started to dub for Mohan almost regularly from this point).

Some used to tell that this movie had a "tragic" ending (which is partly true as what can be more tragic than untimely death? Even old-age-death is tragic ). Still, I won't call it 'sOgamAna' ending as in the case of moonRAm piRai. As long as lovers are not separated, I'm fine
    Last edited by app_engine; 12th July 2011 at 04:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think as per director of PM too, it was not sOgamAna ending. As the title says, it wasn't end of journey(s). Only the director knows how they're to continue

At the minimum, the journey of the songs of PM - iLaiya nilA, thOgai iLamayil for e.g. - will NEVER END IMHO