Page 104 of 400 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #72 பேசு, என் அன்பே! உன் அன்பை என்னென்பேன் !
    (விடியும் வரை காத்திரு, 1981 , சசிரேகா & ஷைலஜாவுடன்)

It's quite an interesting song with two female singers for two women shown on screen & SPB for K Backiaraj. Sasireka sings for the girl on phone while SPS croons for the mentally ill wife (and that's why all those 'yEi, ooi, bayanthuttiyA' kind of sounds). A not-so-succesful thriller movie made by Backiaraj (probably to prove that he was the mastermind behind Sigappu RojAkkaL). In any case, the first IR-SPB song for Backiaraj which had decent air time and was among the "collector's items" for those who went to recording shops with he burma bazar TDK cassettes. Occasionally also heard on buses. Not a big hit neither a totally neglected / forgotten one. Has youtube & otherwise presence today on the web.

I remember watching this movie in one of those parithAba theaters on Trichy-Tanjore road between Senthanneerpuram tolgate and Thuvakkudi. so-so movie with KB as the hero / villain and Black belt as police. The most talked about scene of jumping out of the train to kill wife was quite interesting & decent but otherwise nothing much to write about the movie.

Then & now I prefer 'neengAtha eNNam onRu nenjOdu uNdu' (MV-SJ) to this song

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    With the V V kAthiru song, the 1981 collection ends - a total of 17 mixed numbers (some phenomenal, some great, some just ok).

I'll get the shortcuts organized shortly and post in all three threads (this one, the SPB thread on current section of TFM & the last song heard thread in the TF section)
    Last edited by app_engine; 3rd July 2011 at 12:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    While 1981 was spent partly at home (+2) and partly at hostel (college life started on 9-9-81), 1982-85 was totally independent / carefree period (except ofcourse ejjAms). Once into the college, my sabbatical for movie-watching got discontinued with 'anbE vA' at the college audi and that opened the floodgates of movie watching.

And 1982, what a year for SPB-IR combo!

Starting this year, it's quite floodgates for this combo!

Post Thanks / Like
    #73 தீம் திரனன..திரன தீம் தனனா
    (ஆகாய கங்கை, 1982 , ஜானகியுடன் )

'thEnaruviyil nanaindhidum' - sounds like someone pouring honey into one's ears! With a great bharatha-nAtyam-music start, the song is a great treat to anyone who loves such semi-classical numbers in TFM. This was part of my Thanjavur-based collegemate's collection. He was an IR-fanatic and used to record all songs in every new disk that gets released (including the stray instrumental pieces that IR allowed to be the fillers in some vinyls). This guy now took my cousin's position in being the "window" to me to the world of TFM (Same guy who got archanai from us for taking us to movies like eera vizhikkAviyangaL and the AVM Rajan + his daughter movie etc using the IR tag).

AgAya gangai was the first directorial venture of one of BR's assistants, the lean Manobala who still stays in the film field as an actor (nice role as Asin's boss in ghajini). I haven't seen him on TV interviews but read in IR titbits every now and then as someone who shares some rare IR-thingies on such shows. nallA irukkattum Unfortunately for him, AG didn't make any impression despite having the young sensation Murali (original name of s/o Muthuraman, one wonders why BR changed it to Karthik? Was there any IR influence as producer of AO? avarukkum ippadiyellAm pEr vaippathil thrill irundhadhu thAnE?).

By now, in my world, SPB-SJ have become the defacto standard for duets and nothing else was accepatble. This movie (or album) came toward the end of 1982 - much after payaNangal mudivathillai etc I think). Also, with multiple avenues to listen to music (even Trichy vividh bhArathi was a new option, apart from walkman / cassette players of various hostel mates & other traditional channels like buses), life was getting a lot more musical than academic

Post Thanks / Like
    That avm rajan sri@mahalakshmi movie is devi sridevi. Dasarathanini thirumaganai is a decent song, too.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App Sir
    Excellent pattu; this song is an wonderful number; SJ sings so well in this song...

Plum

I think app is referring to the "Rani Theni' movie which had some nice songs like "enna solli Naan ezhudha, en mannavanin manam Kulira''.. a great PS number..

Devi/Sridevi came much later, I think directed by GA.. (Telugu original was a hit .. Retta Jadda Seeathalu or something like that .. I think...)

Post Thanks / Like
    balaji,

Plum is right, it was the movie with 'Dasarathanin...' and the girl got back her name as Mahalakshmi.

rANiththEni was with the name "Shree" and, yes, 'enna solli nAn ezhudha' is one of the sweetest numbers from IR-PS combo!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App, interesting write-ups and snippets.
    A side note on the legendary Andhimazhai - the Telugu version that I've got with me has an additional chorus (all-ladies, ordinary singing as usual) that precedes the 'wa-wa-wa'+mrudangam prelude. (lyrics goes something like sa ri ga ma pa dha ni saptaswaralu neeku...). I haven't heard this one in any of the Thamizh versions that I have. And I haven't seen the movie either. It could probably be a part of the BGM before the start of the song in the movie.
    Sidenote 2 - Azhagae azhagu, the divine, ghazal-like beauty crooned oh-so-awesomely by KJY, in its gulty version has SPB doing the vocals. Doesn't work anywhere as well as the Thamizh/Dasettan's version for me. SPB diehards who haven't heard this one yet, might want to try. (Amavasya chandrudu)

About TVG, I've already posted this question here but didn't get an answer last time around, here's it again - What are the songs that TVG has sung for IR?
    The one's that I'm aware of are Andhimazhai, Ada macham ulla, Margazhi maadham and Idhu oru nila kaalam. Any more?

Post Thanks / Like
    KV, that's part of the BGM probably. The tamil counterpart goes something like
    "pani vizhum iravinil iru vizhi nanaindhadhu nERRu
    something something something something kARRu"
    I think Madhavi visits the blind school and it is their prayer or something. That leads up to the song sequence.