Page 307 of 400 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I too remember he said how he did, on DD/some other channel that time, but now I forgot. But unless there is some youtube/video reference, we cannot prove it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber wizzy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    V_S if you are interested to know how they canned Appu shots check out this Singeetham's interview...apparently they even have even shot a docu and as usual it is yet to see the light.

Gaana Kalaadhara Gandharva Gaana Lola Kaliyuga Gaana Thilaga
    Nadha Brahma Kochchappa Brother Seshappa

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two more songs are due today - obviously one will be from A-S.

The other will also be from a KH movie

Let's complete the Appu song first...

Post Thanks / Like
    #288 ஒன்ன நெனச்சேன் பாட்டுப்படிச்சேன்
    தங்கமே ஞானத்தங்கமே
    (அபூர்வ சகோதரர்கள், 1989 )

onna nenachchEn pAttuppadichchEn...

The scenes leading to this song are perhaps the best in the movie. The registrar office debacle / mom's indiscreet remark about kuLLam etc and the terrific theme music plus beautiful histrionics by Kamal are a big treat to watch! OTOH, the song is a melodrama IMHO Though the melody is extremely good and rAsA / SPB manage to pizhinjify the hearts with their respective capabilities, somehow it wasn't that big a favourite with me. No doubt I liked the fact that it was a big hit and would have heard it umpteen times but the lyricist possibly bring downs the song from gOpurakkalasam to vAsal padikkattu.

May be the repeating 'gnAnaththangam' thingy was the major irritant. Or the comical memory of the "uppu-kazhudhai-panju" story that comes to my mind when the 'uppu vikkappOnEn' line comes It totally takes my mind away from the serious nature of the song

Ofcourse, the scene where the clown laments in the circus (when a handsome man takes away his girl in the trapeze game) is goosebump stuff but the later scenes (where the clown cries in front of the mirror etc) is kind of not-so-palatable to me. Ofcourse, that leads to a turning point in the movie, helps to move the masAlA etc but somehow the song's overall stature had been reduced IMO. (Kamal & Valee may be very proud of this song but the repeated 'thangamE-gnAnaththangamE' phrase throws it back to daNAl Thangavelu era and helps bring yawn).

That being said, the line 'andha vAnam azhudhAl thAn indha bhoomiyE sirikkum' is a terrific, brilliant one and one has to give to Valee! Overall, it's a mixed bag unlike the extremely brilliant numbers pudhu mAppiLLaikku / rAjA kaiya vachchA / aNNAththa AduRAr IMO (both on & off screen)...well, better than vAzha vaikkum kAdhal...again, this comparison is strictly within the album and only my personal order of preference in listening. No question about the total album being one of the finest ever in TFM!

Back to the girl's story of not giving invitation - it was just a question of typical delays involved in the case of a financially weak Kerala girl getting a good varan (with pAvam parents / no strong brother etc). Absolutely nothing to do with the pArvaipparimARRa business In course of time, things turned positive and I was happy to attend her wedding with other colleagues and had the 'nEnthram chips and ada prathaman' on the banana leaf! (I heard her instructing her dad to take special care of us).

Then there were very normal things in life (she had a baby, her sick mom died and I visited her home for condolence, she came to our house warming...). We happily left the past as some "old memories" and could smile at each other without any iRukkam when the paths crossed occasionally within the campus. (Some may say 'ennayyA ivvaLavu chappunnu Akkitta'; however, this is not an imaginative story but a real-life itihAs of a few years, can't be altered) Just a minute, that is not the end...

I decided to leave the town, sold the house - moved to rented place for a few months - got another consultant position and quit the job. There was a send-off by workers (stage'la speech ellAm koduththAnga) and it looked like she wanted to talk to me but there were always people around. Then there was the engineers booze-send-off and another friends' dinner etc for a few days. Finally, the "going-around-to-say-bye" day.

As usual, there were other girls with her but she briskly walked to meet me separately. There was a definite sadness in her eyes. With a voice that only I can hear (Keralite women can speak to a person without being audible to others even 5 ft away, as observed by my old room-mate), she asked :

'ngangaLayokke vittuttu pOkAn thannE theermAnichchO?' (Decided to leave us all? Really?)

There was a brief thoNdai adaikkal for me but exercising great control, I replied :

'ellavarum oru thivasam pOkEndadhallE?' (Don't we all have to go one day?)

(kadhai muRRum)
    Last edited by app_engine; 14th February 2012 at 02:20 AM.

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Plum,
    I don't know the annakkiLi story (or the sichchuvEshan for that song)...let's see after my next post
    App, I thought I was the biggest Arai-kurai follower of tamil cinema(only songs, clueless about story). You have beaten me hands down Sir.

I guess there should be some thread where posters give the main plot of movies for the benefit of those who didnt watch them.

Post Thanks / Like
    #289 மாறுகோ மாறுகோ
    (வெற்றி விழா, 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்)

Is this 'mARugO' thingy from Goa? Interestingly, Kamal reused this line in another movie too (Kovai Sarala as his wife, sathi leelAvathi by Balu Mahendra). Like surAngani of Ilangai or hatyakkuchukkOvA of Malaysia perhaps. In any case, very catchy first line with adi-dhadi drums makes one feel like dancing! A big hit song tailor-made for SPB's thuLLal style! Interestingly, KSC too does SPB-like-rendering in this song and IMO it's a rare song for her with the 'jingu-chakkA' done in thoroughly enjoyable manner!

The hero character was supposedly inspired from Robert Ludlum's Bourne character, Pratap Pothen made this hit movie (perhaps his biggest hit as a director) that was produced by NT's family production house I think. It had Prabhu & Kushbu as the third pair with Kamal-Amala & Kamal-Sasikala as the two other pairs. I remember liking the first half of the movie and then getting thoroughly irritated (even felt sleepy) in the later part. Obviously one-time-watch on theater. As like other albums from the Maestro-Pothen combo, terrific album, guitar delight, ultra-modern for the time-period etc...

This song is a marriage-dance-song I think (KH marries the 'pAda vandhadhO gAnam' girl and dances with her). I'll locate the youtube and try to watch tonight again (don't have a +ve or -ve opinion about the song's on-screen stuff...)

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unna nenachen paatu padichen can truly be called the Beta version of Kolaveri. Pretty much every older guy(late teens/college goer) I ran into would be singing it in the summer of 89 and was a frequently heard number in Paatu competitions.

Here's a snapshot of IR-SPB movies during this phase...hopefully we havent missed out any gems from this list.
    IR-spb.jpg

That being said, the line 'andha vAnam azhudhAl thAn indha bhoomiyE sirikkum' is a terrific, brilliant one
    Briefly, what does the line imply?
    Last edited by al_gates; 14th February 2012 at 02:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by al_gates View Post
    Briefly, what does the line imply?
    Literally, it means 'only if the sky cries (i.e.rains) the earth can laugh'...per the movie story, Appu has to cry (make a sacrifice) so the girl Roobini can laugh...or, in general, one's happiness comes at the expense of another

(P_R to hubbers : This is what I've always been telling in the context of comedy )

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App - Thoroughly captivating and touching narration (especially the ending ) of your personal experience. AS is one heck of an album and a movie that I can revisit any number of times. VV has some very nice songs too, my favorite being Thathom Thalangu Thathom.

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi rajkumarc!

We have a few more songs from veRRi vizha that will lead us into the 290's

Like I mentioned before, mAnguyilE is going to be the #300 (Not negotiable)