Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Threaded View

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #299 உன் மனசுல பாட்டுத்தான் இருக்குது
    (பாண்டி நாட்டுத்தங்கம், 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்)

un manasula pAttuththAn irukkudhu (serious version, not the jolly KSC solo)

My most favourite part of this song is the end of the saraNam and how sweetly it connects back to the pallavi! The KSC solo was much more popular I think , the no. of times I heard that version is easily at 4:1 ratio compared to the relatively serious duet with SPB. SPB gets the whole first saraNam (great violin accompaniment thru out, enhancing the listening experience) and hums in the second interlude. From the song construct of "seperation of singers to portions of the song", it's possible both the lovers are in a situation they cannot meet. Not a new technique, though effective always in TF songs - that jell well with the story.

This is perhaps the only song that I assumed to be part of some grAmarAjan movie those days. IR cuts down the flute in many places in the duet version and it kind of demonstrates his preference to use flute for happier occasions (especially the call-response kind which he might have mostly reserved for happy-only-sichchuvEshans and switched off / replaced with strings for seriousness). This does not mean he totally avoided flute for sad situations, just the order of preference / technique to contrast the feels etc as per a pAmara observer. That is, in songs. On his BGM however, there're no defintions, rules possible - not even a "mostly" thingy. ethu vENA eppO vENA varum but correct feel-ukku mattum uththaravAtham

I mentioned in an earlier post that I didn't have these songs on personal collections. However, my brother had this song and whenever I visited home (typically once a month), this got played aloud in the stereo system with "detachable speakers" (a big thing those days) and the song was so immensely enjoyable!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement