Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Threaded View

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #197 என்ன வேணும் தின்னுங்கடா டோய்
    (உயர்ந்த உள்ளம், 1985 )

While I absolutely dislike this song, I'll have to admit that this too had its air time when arrived

Must be because of Kamal & the high voltage marketing campaign by AVM. Raja had done his job, with some terrific wind-instrument work in the first interlude and a reasonably decent prelude but otherwise the song is a murder of taste and sensitivity. SPB freaks out with his tiger sound and relative "free-hand" (vetRRtu, dOi dOi dOi etc) but overall the song leaves one in a 'soththakkadalai menRa' feeling. Perhaps that scene was intended by the story situation / movie setting but why make a song for that?

Despite this assault on taste, the album survived thanks to that phenomenally sweet 'engE en jeevanE' by KJY (there is also an IR version) and the terrific 'kAlaiththenRal' breezie by PS. With those two fantastic numbers, rAsA survived. SPB and KH? Unfortunately did not, at least not in my eyes as they went down a bit.

That didn't help in a year when most of my favourite movies came without SPB. (mudhal mariyAdhai - MV, sindhu bhairavi - KJY, poovE poochchooda vA -KJY). He was not there in the garam masAlA oru kaidhiyin diary as well. Other than the three big hits we already talked about (UG-KC-NSM), there wasn't much SPB domination in IR albums during most part of my last college year.
    Last edited by app_engine; 6th November 2011 at 06:56 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement