Page 146 of 400 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no such danger, genesis. It might well be another year before I find enough urge to write the next post in this series. Don't worry, this thread is safe.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    (switch on Anupam Kher of kuch kuch hOta hai) What do you mean "safe" (switch off Kher) Plum? We want variety here and not safety

Please make it colorful!

Like I said before, I'm a zero when it comes to IR-north-of-poovirundha-valli. You, Sureshji, raagas, balaji are the hope in that geographical domain.

Also, I'm absolutely un-creative when it comes to writing. 'தினமும் சாப்பிடணும், அதுக்கு எதாச்சும் வேணும்'ங்கற மாதிரி தினமும் எதாச்சும் படிக்கவென்று எழுதப்படும் போஸ்ட்கள் .

We need feast too!

One year is not acceptable, solliyAchchu, ambuttuththEn!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,
    You made my day with your awesome post on 'Urakalai Godavari'. As I was reading your post, I was in your mode rewinding the song and your post to get enough of it, as I can't listen to the song now. Oh man! what a song and as you rightly pointed out those subtle twists gave us heart full of melody. Every note in that song has full of 'jeevan'. Just humming this song will want to leave all your current commitments (very hectic these days) and dissolve in this one. So many excellent places in pallavi and charanam. Those minute pauses in charanams (everything you mentioned) and the finishing of pallavi with 'rasa mayam ja ga thi' Heavenly heavenly!

Please continue posting your favorites!

Post Thanks / Like
    App,
    Picking up some enormously beautiful numbers in Kaaviriye Kavikkuyile and Pesakkoodaathu. Yes rocking numbers. Again excellent analysis on SPB vs PS singing in Pesakkoodaathu. Never thought about it this way until I read your post. Will listen to laugh again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    analysis on SPB vs PS singing in Pesakkoodaathu
    அப்படி சாத்வீகமா அவங்க பாடினதுக்கு சிலுக்கு போட்டா எப்படி இருக்கும்?

தாங்க முடியல...

BTW, is there any analysis on the list of singers who gave pinnaNikkural for Vijayalakshmi (aka "eppO" Smitha)?

Is there any other PS number for her?

Post Thanks / Like
    #110 உருகினேன் உருகினேன்
    (அண்ணே அண்ணே, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Yet another sweet duet by the celebrated SPB-SJ pair, for a relatively unknown movie. This song was a 'radio-only-hit' along with some DHIRF's recording on their TDKs. Perhaps a mild inspiration for a later-day-IR number for Indiran Chandiran ...the second interlude makes me think so. Here IR uses his favourite "qwakkakukku" sound while kAdhal rAgamum kanniththamizhum had fantastic drums.

IR's use of this "qwakkakukku" sound is quite interesting as he employed it for a variety of songs / situations - fast senO ritA prelude / slow idhu oru nilAkkAlam 2nd interlude / folk andha nilAvaththAn's first interlude etc apart from this soft duet, among many others.

TF traditionally had artists coming from the drama groups. And stories too. If one lists all jAmbavAns of TF until 80's, some connection or other with stage can easily be traced for most names (including the famous Rajini). There was also a steady supply of directors like KB from stage. Late 70's / 80's had a ton of great drama groups and some of them did hilarious comedy stuff. Crazy Mohan, Mouli, SV Sekar, kAthAdi Ramamoorthy - to name a few. There were also serious groups like Poornam, Komal, Visu, YGM. Most of these dramas were also made into movies which helped all these artists to have an innings at TF.

Mouli didn't have any spectacular success in the field but was kind of commercially viable during the 80's, doing low budget movies every now and then, most of them based on his stage plays. His 'vA indhappakkam' had two phenomenal numbers by Shyam ('Anandha dhAgam' by DC/SJ and 'ivaL dEvathai' by SPB/VJ - both my all-time-favs). Somehow, he too landed in the IR bandwagon for this movie - that got named after the huge hit song from kOzhi koovuthu.

Other than vA indhappakkam songs, my fond memory of Mouli (nice -uncle/chithappA looking- guy) is as the apoorva sahOdhararkaL circus owner...he sure got into TF history by being present in one of the most memorable scenes ever - in which Appu gets hurt by his mom's careless remark & the viewers get a severe jolt by IR playing his theme - mmmm...the very remembrance of it brings goosebumps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Is there any other PS number for her?
    I remember just one song now, Mella Mella Ennai thottu from Vaazhkai. On screen with Raveender. But there should be more songs from other music directors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    I remember just one song now, Mella Mella Ennai thottu from Vaazhkai. On screen with Raveender. But there should be more songs from other music directors.
    Good catch!

Once again, it's highly likely that this was recorded for the "hero-heroine" (may be for the 2nd hero - 2nd heroine as it was a Sivaji-Ambika movie) but disti's forced the kavarchchikkanni Attam later on...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    First charanam was fantastic, the second one was ruined by the so-called disco sound. The wah pedal, though I loved its effect, was not useful here. Could have maintained the same tune as the first.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    app, chattila irukkaRachE dhAn agappaila varum. chatti gets filled about once in a year, what to do?
    V_S - yes, that's the thing with vurakalai godavari. You get humming the song, and you cannot get enough. This is, infact, a stick that IR gets beat with - that, for instance, you'd never get a nandhaa en nilaa from him(meaning, hummability, addictive phrasaes that you just want to keep singing again and again once you start). To a large extent, it is because of his strittu WCM theories, and the impulse to fit his tunes in a chord progression - something that got pronounced more and more in his latter days. Even within that, you will find countless songs like this which are as addictive as the MSV-Dhakshinamoorty-KVM-GR addictive tunes.