Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    kavidhai pAdu kuyilE youtube:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    groucho,

You're blessed to be part of such a "nalla isaikkudumbam"!

Post Thanks / Like
    #200 அதிகாலை நேரமே
    (மீண்டும் ஒரு காதல் கதை, 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Perfect song for the morning of this mildly cold fall weather.

>75% of the leaves gone and trees looking "kuchchi-kuchchiyA", mild deposit of dew on the vehicles parked in the street and a smooth ride to work. Since a call got cancelled at 7 AM, spent a few minutes standing by the large glass windows by the lakeside at the workplace to thoroughly enjoy the scene.

Being in 0'th floor, which is in the same level as the beautiful lake gives such a panoramic view of the woods & a lone building on the other side of the lake. Preparing for the winter (possibly for the long flights ahead), there are 100's of geese / swans on the surface of the lake, practically non-moving like sculptures and making the whole view look like an oil painting. With daylight yet to arrive in full, this partly-dark scene is an artwork of class - better than what any master artist had ever painted!

The Malayalee girl in the next aisle crossed me smiling and making an appreciative remark on the view and I got reminded of the Pratap Pothen stuff that needs to be posted today...and here I'm listening to the song and typing What a sweet number that goes so smoothly along the wonderful morning. The song of the dawn for sure, composed with great care and perfectly executed by the sweet SPB-SJ pair! Possibly a new toy that rAsA got at that time got deployed in the prelude (some sound from a Korg?). The second interlude is definitely an artwork of class and difficult to express the appreciation in words!

IIRC, this was the directorial debut of PP about whose combo with IR I've frequently posted on the hub. Both as an actor & director. moodupani, panneer pushpangaL, nenjaththaikkiLLAthE, eeravizhikkAviyangaL, veRRi vizhA, MDM...All sophisticated scores. While MOKK is nowhere near any of those biggie albums, this song has the same level of class! I'm not sure whether the PP-R marriage was prior to this movie or after. Either way, both have acted in this movie as those lacking mana vaLarchchi and he got an award from Zail Singh (NA?) as per the picture at Wikipedia. Though I've totally forgotten the on-screen stuff of EVK, one of our hubbers recently posted a youtube of a song from that and was amused to see that it had the PP-R pair. Well, they made a good combo, IMO. Both appear to be extremely intelligent people.

I don't remember whether we paid a lot of attention to this song at the time of arrival - despite the decent air time it got. I've actually heard it more often in later years, mostly during Palakkad - Coimbatore early days. That way, not so much of nostalgia attached to the song and readers are saved
    Last edited by app_engine; 16th November 2011 at 06:24 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very picturesque and poetic post!. One of your best post App for one of the deserving melody.
    Feeling early morning mist gently touching the water while passing by.

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi V_Sji!

Now that the #200 is taken care of, we'll probably visit (rather revisit) the Selvi song tomorrow

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh No not again! Just the name 'Selvi' gives me nightmares

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Forever fresh 80s Ilayaraja treasure feature pannina APP_ENG VAZHGA VALAMUDAN!

mmm.... view side office space , good for you!

Second interlude is a masterpiece, everybody's favorite.

Bala and Janu match made in heaven.

So... ilamandadhu ..bass guitar marvel coming next, is it?
    FANTASTIC!

Vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 17th November 2011 at 02:25 AM.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App, love the way you bring up different and contrasting scenarios and memories to tag along with different songs. Lovely.

I had a similar experience in Chennai recently in a local bus travel. Here, in Bangalore, its normal for a conductor to walk up to you in a bus, however empty of full it is and issue the ticket. Grown up with this habit, when I was in Chennai some months back, I boarded a bus and took the seat right next to the driver's (my favorite seat always, but never get to travel in this seat in Karnataka because the first half of the bus is reserved for ladies, unlike in TN where, strange enough and beyond my comprehension, the rear half of the bus, where the ride generally tends to get bumpy, is reserved for them). I saw the conductor sitting towards the rear of the bus and there were only a handful of passengers. 'Stops' started going by and there was no sign of him coming to the front. I kept glancing towards him every now and then and he would just wear a plain look on his face. Almost 7 stops later, he walked up to the front, and surprise surprise, angrily questioned me if I was trying to travel 'without' (I even had the 'change' ready in my hand all the time). Then the driver (who had been silently going about his business till then) joined the party and they happily started verbally abusing and accusing me being a cheat. 'You gotta come and get your ticket, geddit?' he said finally and only then did I understand. I chose to remain silent after buying the ticket and sat in the same seat before alighting the bus at the destination. My hand involuntarily moved up and pointed a middle finger at the bus as it moved past me. Culture shock'mbaangale, idhu dhaano?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    And as unexpected as this confrontation, was the rhythm in Kavidhai Paadu, when I heard it the first time. Never heard anything like this before (where he suddenly introduces a loud,for IR's rhythm standards, kerala chendai like beat in the pallavi). Neither can I think of any other song after this where he has tried somthing similar. I still don't know if it goes along with the flow of the song, but it surely gives the song an identity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another song with similar rhythm, KV, would be "hello guru premakosameloi jeevitham" from Nirnayam. There is a tamil dubbed version in thiraipaadal as well.