Page 80 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: ~~ Gadgets - Performance, Looks, Apps, Hottest Models ~~

Senior Member Senior Hubber vithagan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar View Post
    Laptop maintenance tips, again!

I have 2 laptops One is AMD based HP Pavilion(2008) (DV6605US) and another is Celeron based Acer(2007)

There is not much problems with Acer, its survivng on Ubuntu, still now no great problems. Now I am typing this frm that laptop only. The HP one already got into a problem, 1 year before and I spent 12K changing the mother board. Now the same problem. Heard that its becos of the NVidia chip and generally these AMd laptops are getting this issue. Thing is, due to heat, the Nvidia GPU is spoilt and thus no display! Now I have to replace that chip.

I asked, is this heat due to using laptop in a Non A/C area. The service man said that this heat is due to the battery which has lost its backup and always running on AC Mains power. I was shocked! Most laptop users put the mains charger for almost all the time and thus the battery loses its backup by a years time. Then the backup will come only for few mins. He said, that's true but in reality, NO laptop is meant for continuous use. I said I have to run git servers and need to keep laptop ON. He said "Then use desktop. Laptop is NOT designed for 24 hrs use. Laptops shud run only on battery power and when the charge is gone, only charge it and DON'T use it while charging. give break! like mobile phone"

He said some remedies to prevent it. Simple things. Sit in an A/C room. if not possible, put a extra cooling pad at bottom. Give break for the laptop every 3/4 hours. Aleast 20 minits break. If shut down not possible, the hibernate. He said that the recent intel CPUs are far far better in this and we get lots of AMD laptops with this problem. And the corporate grade laptops too don't have this problem.

Ok, now that my laptop is gone, i asked for remedy. Replace the GPU for 3.5K, or replace the whole motherboard itself(yes!) to an equivalent dual-core intel motherboard, for 8.5K and laptop will live for atleast 5 years. Don't forget to replace original HP battery for 3.5K. The duplicate ebay ones for 1.8K will actually do further damage.

So this is for all laptop users, especially AMD users. If till now, you didn't sit in A/C, use ur laptop for all the day, and don't use any cooling pad, and almost 4/5 years you didn't get any problem, you are a lucky lot. But still don't forget to

1. Replace original batt
    2. Add a cooling pad
    3. Give break every 3/4 hours.
    Thanks for the tips, I'm using my laptop 24*7 not for any useful purpose but for browsing and making it as TV ( connect thru HDMI to my TV). Its making noise like a big machine and its getting overheated. I'm planning to change the laptop(bought in November 2008) this Thanksgiving. I'm looking for a laptop as a desktop replacement. Most of the time it will be connected to TV, if i need to use then I'll connect to my monitor and use as desktop. DO you have any suggestions for my usage on laptops.

Off the topic, If I need to run multiple OS ( Windows / Mac OS / Linux ) if at all possible, whats my best bet, High end laptop or Desktop??
    வாழு! வாழ விடு!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vithagan, ( Windows / Mac OS / Linux ) Anything MAC, only Macbookpro! For best prices refer -> http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/ If you can get an apple employee he will buy a Mac for you with good discount.

For regular laptops, if you are going for corporate kind, then IBM is the best bet, but may cost close to a lakh! Normal ones, i strongly reccomend Acer TimelineX. It has 7 hrs batery.
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raghavendran View Post
    guys i am planning of buying PS3....but have no idea on its models,space or anything...looking out for it in the net is gettin me confused..anyone who knows abt it can give me suggestions..
    Venkiraja bought a PS3 recently. Check with him.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    thnx LM..will chk wid him
    Say My Name

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PS3 is 19K la ?? PSP 3004 eppadi ok va? i think Sony had stopped / slowed down its production in favor of PS Vita and the PSP E1004, but PSP 3004 @ 8K is a good buy nu naan feel panraen, pleas suggest?

and PSP 3004 ah mod panna mudiyuma? or i wud have to spend a fortune for buying good games ?
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

My Blog site - http://rsubras.blogspot.com

Senior Member Senior Hubber vithagan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar View Post
    Vithagan, ( Windows / Mac OS / Linux ) Anything MAC, only Macbookpro! For best prices refer -> http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/ If you can get an apple employee he will buy a Mac for you with good discount.

For regular laptops, if you are going for corporate kind, then IBM is the best bet, but may cost close to a lakh! Normal ones, i strongly reccomend Acer TimelineX. It has 7 hrs batery.
    Thank you sir..

Btw when you referred IBM, you mean Lenovo? As i said I have time till November, will keep looking till that.
    வாழு! வாழ விடு!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Converting video raw MTS format into MPG/AVI format.

Which tool is available free in net which can perform this task?

Which format we can choose among MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-3, MPEG-4, AVI (there are lot! crazy!!) for a better quality and resolution?

Have numerous video's from few Birthday parties onto my Canon VIXIA HF M41. Before I convert , your valuable suggestions (based on personal experience) please.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't worked on MTS files, but based on what I've did, MP4 (encoded with H264/X264) looks good. Check this thread, will give you some idea about what software to use.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks LM. will do.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Generally for video and even audio format conversions, this software is popular -> http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html But finding the download link in that website itself is a daunting task!
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Page 80 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast