Page 7 of 215 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Which non-indian film u saw recently has made u post here???

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    -deleted-
    ...an artist without an art.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Le Sang Des Betes (1949, Georges Franju, France)
    Short film on Parisian slaughterhouse, available in Googlevideos..

This is another one of disturbing-in-allegorical-way exercise. The Black and White Imagery gives it less of a sheen, the blood and internals of "quarries" of a civilized society. But it's their placement, differentiation as per taxonomy, adults & cubs, and the way the whole thing is filmed, at one point you could hear a sound mix of fighter plane and how the whole ordeal revokes of Auschwitz. Inter-cut with church (nuns are customers here) and serene civil life of the outside society. There's no stylization of the gore. Something few filmmakers could learn from. But as a film, I wasn't fascinated as the post sounds than just experiencing a distinct mood (of the slaughterhouse counterpointed by calm atmosphere outside), time and place that couldn't be experienced in real life (not that I yearn to!)..

Post Thanks / Like
    And lastly the point on its workers isn't really beyond its surface. There's an ex-boxing champion who is reduced to this job and then there's the pride of being the most effective slaughter in the house, etc. Perhaps the allegory is lost on me, coz the film keeps 'em on the periphery while only observing the activity within the butchery..

The Allegory isn't deep or profound than merely suggestive. The gaze is of observatory nature, with sparse voice-over narration. There are images of children, old men walking and romancing couples outside the slaughterhouse that perhaps only exists as a 'counterpoint'.

Senior Member Senior Hubber anbu_kathir's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The ghost writer" .. I got a rather strange comic-suspense feel after seeing it, maybe because of the score, theriyala. Loved the last few scenes.

Saw the movies adapted from " The girl..." series by Stieg Larsson. Overall, a neat trilogy. The lead actress was too good!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rangan_08's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    Quote Originally Posted by rangan_08
    SLEUTH in Sonly Pix. There were just 2 characters in the film, played by Michael Caine and Jude Law, but still the film was very compelling and absolutely engrossing that I was just glued in front of my TV.

The plot had enormous scope for performance and these two guys were terrific. The talented and experienced Caine was excellent in bringing out all the minute expressions effortlessly. Jude Law was also equally fantastic and proved to be a perfect co-star. And, as for me, if you want to hear nice and sweet English, it has to be British . Actually, after Frankenstein, this is Branagh’s second film I’m watching.

I’d love to watch the original starring Lawrence Olivier and Michael Caine, again (he actually reversed his role in the remake – Wiki ).
    Interesting. This was my reaction..

hmmm...
    Perhaps life is just that. A Dream and a Fear. -- Joseph Conrad

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rangan_08's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    Schindler's List is, at the most basic level, a remake of Jurassic Park (and, if anything, worse than the original), with the Nazis as the dinosaur monsters, Schindler as (at the film's beginning) the cynical-profiteering and opportunistic parental figure, and the ghetto Jews as threatened children (their infantilization in the film is eye-striking) - the story the film tells is about Schindler's gradual rediscovery of his paternal duty towards the Jews, and his transformation into a caring and responsible father.[/i]
    endha endha yangle-la ellam yosikkirangappa...
    Perhaps life is just that. A Dream and a Fear. -- Joseph Conrad

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    INSOMNIA

Not the best attempt of Nolan. But still watchable for Pacino.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Prabo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A fish called wanda - Absurd, but

Senior Member Regular Hubber Mukzi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    500 Days of Summer !!!
    DOuble Super....
    If she is not the one,Being Single is Aweosme!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Requiem for a Dream

Good. Thank You Venki for the recommendation.

It was not at all what I thought it would be. Quite interesting and was continuously engaging, visually appealing and impressive acting. But after a point it got kinda boring and the ending did not hit a high note (what was I expecting anyway!).

A little on the showy side sometimes. For instance the splitscreen seemed interesting first but after that it was being used just for effect. There is one movie with Aaron Eckhart and Helena Bonham Carter, which is just two people talking. Split screen is used extremely well as a technique there and there it felt there was a natural 'demand' for it.

Like that, everything seemed overused. The pupil dilation, bloodstream , high shots was 'wow' when they show it the first time, then it is reused and reused it became dull. Perhaps that was the point...the spiral from wow to being trapped, or something like that

The parallel drawn between dieting and withdrawal was quite interesting. So was the depictions between the mother and her friends, Jared Leto and Jeniffer Connelly's relationship's ups-and-downs etc. But after a point there was nothing 'new' happening.

I liked 'The Wrestler' better. The movie is 'similar' in many ways. Perhaps the focus on one character was able to elicit poignance better. Not sure.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Page 7 of 215 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast