Page 5 of 215 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Which non-indian film u saw recently has made u post here???

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched "Bitter Moon" again - There isn't a better film to pass a serious comment on sex games & kinky macabre without turning campy! Polanski's direction is as usual faultless, the way he keeps the dialogues flowing is often overlooked. He's very effective in using the narrative v-o here. The story within a story is delicately transitioned. The way he keeps his formal powers in check (The camera's movement is as gentle and elegant as it could be!) and tries to keep sight of the emotional sinking at center of each character, and relationship..

Young looking Hugh Grant is less annoying here (Thankfully). But it's the astonishing performance of Peter Coyote that we're haunted by!
    ...an artist without an art.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarna
    Josie and the pussycats - cool entertainer
    yesterday on TV?
    aaniyae pudunga venaam!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sarna's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh84
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarna
    Josie and the pussycats - cool entertainer
    yesterday on TV?
    yes
    ஊரு வம்ப பேசும்
    அட உண்மை சொல்ல கூசும்
    போடும் நூறு வேஷம்
    தினம்
    பொய்ய சொல்லி ஏசும்
    ஏ தில்லா டாங்கு டாங்கு
    அட என்னா உங்க போங்கு

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN
    Has anyone seen the 'Karate kid' or the 'The A Team' ?? any good
    Karate Kid: Average and quite predictable. Since the movie is about the kid, it had only one Jackie Chan fight sequence. Loved the Chinese girl's dance though.

The A Team: Above average. Action-packed, fun film without a dull moment. Worth watching once.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Major Spoilers on "The Ghost Writer" ending, An exchange in twitter kept me thinking. I mused a bit on why it actually worked here.

Listening to Berlin press conference with writer Robert Harris and reading another one of his interview, made it clear that the original novel is narrated by the dead. So with this knowledge, I watched the film and didn't feel manipulated by the ending. But I'm arguing why even otherwise it should work in harmony with the film's theme and characterization. Firstly, McGregor's character (presciently unnamed as 'Ghost') is filling-in for two dead men here (one already in mysterious circumstances, and other about to be) On one hand, the Ghost is replacement for Mike, the preceding writer and suggested to be secretive lover(!) of the fatalistic femme, Ruth, and on the other, he's also the Ghost writer of the fall guy, Lang himself, who is maneuvered in both political and personal life by Ruth! Writer Robert Harris revealed how they thought of conceiving a narrative on lines of Sunset Blvd. But they unitedly chucked the voice-over pedagogy as the film would be better served by its inscrutable mood, and the filmmaker is one of the best in setting up suspenseful scene after another. But also in this sense of mystery, keeping the audience in conjunction with the ghost thro First person point of view. Polanski's technique is in making the lens as Agoraphobic and voyeuristic, but also going along with the character that gives a suspensive allure. The mutual feeling (b/w audience and the protagonist) is of being constantly unsettled. In every little disclosure, The Ghost isn't fully sure, and his allegiance is all over the place. He has no hang of it yet terrains in his self-importance. As Ruth teases him as at one point, in spite of aspirations, he's hardly a 'proper writer'. When it comes to the delusion of putting the piece together with the published book (shortly after Lang's death). And in the book release, it's Amelia's tip that turns the table on its head. The Ghost had it in his hands, but he couldn't scrutinize it on his own. He doesn't know what to make of it. There's little or nothing he could do on his own. He's allegorically a Ghost, after all. There's no bodily form here. The character ghosts through the events on notes left over by his predecessor Mike, the GPS of the car, the phone number, Amelia's pointer, and what have you. He's less aware and less intelligent than we'd like to assume. Yes, he escapes out of the Ferry, but isn't it again informed by the knowledge of his predeccesor's fate?! He doesn't attempt to guess the password (after going over all the memoirs, one would assume there'll be something in there to pick on), and when the security drill intervenes, he naively flees the room fearing it's his action that caused it. This is one of the most inert protagonists, a lot less interactive than private eye Jake in Chinatown, the commoner husband in Frantic or the book detective in Ninth Gate. A passive being (who mostly functions as a narrative viewpoint!) calls itself to be vaporized after cracking the puzzle, perplexity and confusion down the road would lead to its 'doom' (as he talks about one of his ex-, the woman is more than just a girlfriend and yet less than being a wife - perhaps foreboding his relationship with Ruth?!) And in making it off-camera, The Ghost leaves without trace. And Polanski isn't alluding to predestined 'fate', but equally towards the absurdity of 'accidental' turns that makes it 'seem' preordained than it actually is. Perhaps such is the nature of the world we live in. While it offers a strong polemical on America, it's also censor of information. We're left with ciphered memoirs. It's strewn and scattered around with void of nature itself. That's the lasting imagery the film leaves one with. And to this particular viewer, seems palpable, and meaningful closure.

Spoilers End.
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ghost Writer - oru thadavai paarkalaam
    sift delete
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sarna's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stealth - dubbed tamil version --- cool entertainer
    ஊரு வம்ப பேசும்
    அட உண்மை சொல்ல கூசும்
    போடும் நூறு வேஷம்
    தினம்
    பொய்ய சொல்லி ஏசும்
    ஏ தில்லா டாங்கு டாங்கு
    அட என்னா உங்க போங்கு

Post Thanks / Like
    The Last Tycoon:Picked this one cos' of the names involved-De Niro,Elia Kazan directing and Jack Nicholson.

De Niro plays Monroe Stahr,a highly successful studio executive whose decisions has given them huge receipts at the box office and a pile of profits.He is ruthless,sacks directors and writers,changes scenes,cuts out stock-basically one with a knack of making films audience friendly.

He catches a glimpse of a girl called Kathleen Moore who looks like his late wife,woos her aggressively and after an initial hesitation she gives in.

She has a back story about being in love with a guy who goes off track,she runs away only to be rescued by another guy whom she is about to marry.

Monroe loses focus,tries his best to wean her off only to be heartbroken.

He messes up a crucial meeting with a writer who is trying to unionise(jack nicholson in a couple of scenes)and his detractors in the studio use this to pack him off.

Film ends with De Niro walking into the dark interiors of a floor.

For me the film was a big dud on all fronts-unconvincing romance,strictly mechanical acting by everybody,no emotion in the script,could not connect to any of the characters.

In fact,even a couple of nude shots of the beautiful Ingrid Boulting playing Kathleen moore was anything but sizzling.

A disappointment considering how much I liked the two other Kazan movies I have watched-Street car named desire and On the waterfront.
    Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Gift (2000)

Watched this movie because of the star cast (Cate Blanchett, Keanu Reeves, Katie Holmes, Greg Kinnear, Hilary Swank, Giovanni Ribisi).

A thriller which deals with psychic powers and ESP. Not exactly Final Destination, but this one is more of a disturbing and hard-hitting variety. Even though I could guess the killer, they tried their best to keep it as much a suspense as possible.

Would certainly recommend for people who like to watch good thriller movies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Elaborating on The Ghost Writer

Post is full of Spoilers

My problem was TGW wasn't thrilling at all. It is suggested quite strongly early that Ruth is Adam Lang's Ghost. You never relate to her closely enough, her judgement of how he ought to be etc. None of this comes as a surprise. Perhps the problem is, the realization that his whole career was orchestrated by the CIA itself, does not hit me as a hair raiser.

The mood, solitude etc. all very well. But they hardly ever make a movie for me. And most importantly even an excellent build up can be delfated by weak characterizations/dialogues. People opening up in first conversations, dialogues designed to support to prop up certain types of charecterizations etc.

I realize I gloss these things over easily when the movie is sufficiently absorbing, which was not the case for me here.

Brosnan's role was written well, perfect dialogues, well acted too. But pretty much everything else was weak.The foreign minister is a character written most superficially.

First of all the premise that the predecessor and/or Foreign Sec. only suddenly "came to know" about the war crimes etc. is very kaadhula poo. The whole conversation with the manuscript in the diner, was so so naive. And the fact that the predecessor had his number, kinda made 'what possibly happened' kinda predictable.
    So the 'twists' did not have their intended effect on me.

The beginnings puzzle solution had me smiling rather than thrilled.

Overall quite underwhelming.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Page 5 of 215 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast