Page 41 of 215 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Which non-indian film u saw recently has made u post here???

Post Thanks / Like
    Watched "The Bridge On The River Kwai"(1957)
    Good movie and recommended to watch.
    How you doin'?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so 127 hours paakalam ; Dangled rejetted; Thanks wibha-ji /
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibha
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    Has anybody seen 127 hours? Its been released close to where I live. I have not read any reviews. I heard its (the amputation scene) difficult to watch, especially for ladees, is that true?
    Its just horrible.

don't EVER EVER watch it.

Tangled is really cute

Post Thanks / Like
    All About Eve

Beautiful

Must say, the last 15 mins or so was a let down. Significant drop in style. But overall, quite impressive
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    IS there any decidedly 'talky' film (and considered a classic) that you actively disliked?
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    IS there any decidedly 'talky' film (and considered a classic) that you actively disliked?
    Yeah this one was a bit talky, but I didn't quite mind because I liked the dialogues

I don't think I have seen many classics, let alone talky classics, to be able to answer your question.

But regarding 'too much dialogue' as a charge against a film.. well, yeah I grumble a bit , but get over it. Particularly, if the characters and situations well written and believably enacted. And I don't think too much was spoken here either. All playwrights, actors, writers and directors : eloquent people, quite 'believable' they could be as eloquent as they were shown to be and capable of the nuanced conversation, repartee etc.

btw only today I found out this is another Mankewicz

I go to sleep tonight with the satisfaction of knowing that this film trounced Sunset Boulevard at the Oscars :P

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks man. To my mind, Sunset B. is far better. :sake-hands: again?
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R
    I go to sleep tonight with the satisfaction of knowing that this film trounced Sunset Boulevard at the Oscars :P
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right from the title there is a clear indication of depth, something to bite into, which I liked. I am not sure if it is becoming of a movie and all that, but then that's what I like.

funny business, a woman's career. The things you drop on your way up the ladder, so you can move faster. You forget you'll need them again when you go back to being a woman. That's one career all females have in common - whether we like it or not - being a woman.
    Now, how do you not put that in so many words and still make it as clear and interesting.

First of all I find that theme conceptually far more interesting because it makes 'becoming outdated' as one its several insecurities in it.

When Margo says that line to Karen - it is a 'she is a girl, after all' feeling that comes over. i.e. not in any condescending sense (or perhaps in some ways). But in a true 'fact of life' observation.
    Karen things she has made her peace with these tussles in her marriage to Lloyd (little boy - she calls him in the fight about Eve). But at a later point in time she realizes the only talent she has is 'loving her man'. And this observation is not without the suggestion that this is a compulsion that comes from a premieval survival instinct. But also, love and marriage do invariably come to that for a woman - who, it is underlined and again, ages faster than her man.

It is after that line that Karen kind of understands her sabotage and the damage it may have caused.

The impossibility of love and for being loved is what Addison correctly deduces as Eve's failing (if at all). i.e. what makes her so not a woman. But that's why she'll be a killer.

And she may not find herself 'a little boy' and get back to 'being a woman'. I guess you need to be a little regressive to see that to be a horror and a pity.

The post-audition scene with fiery exchanges about the dialogues about the writer vs. 'mere' enactor, Margo's bed ('woman's place' inside joke?) being on stage in front of an empty auditorium.
    Bill clutching her and getting on top of her and screaming about her paranoia and his love - everything worked for me.

Excellent film I say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R

The 'unlikely relationship' bit was quite boring to me. The nightly writing jaunts, romance was what was interesting but that seemed underdeveloped.

After a point there was no 'story' in SB. I mean, you know where it is headed.The Cecil B DeMille steedio visit, koot. Butler-husband writing fanmail, sari. I guess your 'heart is supposed to go out for the woman' who is taking the beauty treatments etc. Mine didn't. And my heartstrings are quite tuggable, mind you.

By the time we got to the end: thee famous 'descent down the stairs to photographers' scene was like, "idhu dhaan oru maNi nEram munnAdiyE theriyumE, ippo edhukku ivvaLO fanfare".

Anyway, adhaan screenflay-ku kuduthurrukkAingaLLa, sandhOsappattukkunga

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hitch

A feel good movie Will Smith, Eva Mendes