Page 21 of 215 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Which non-indian film u saw recently has made u post here???

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "It's Complicated"

Surprisingly funny and quirky mature comedy
    Loved Meryl Streep (always have) and loved to hate Alec Baldwin.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Public Enemies" and "Brooklyn's Finest"

Two movies from opposite sides of the criminal world

Public Enemies...doomed yet epic in its treatment, Depp is well measured in his portrayal as a gangster with a glorified status to live up to.

"Brooklyn's Finest"
    one of the few Gere movies I've watched..."Pretty Woman" just didn't do it for me...

Gere, Cheadle, Snipes all played their part but was especially taken with Ethan Hawke's vignette the most. Had the "CRASH-esque" feeling of intertwined stories that all join and twist.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What Price Glory (1952)

Could this be Cagney's best? I think so. Fantastic (anti)war film.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Men (1950)

Brando's first feature film. How good was he? Think NT in Parasakthi.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Memories of Murder

Stunning.... Koreakaaranukku ivlo maaolaiya?
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sherlock Holmes: Well made film.Having read a lot of Holmes,had formed an image of his charcter.Forgot what it was but for about 45 min into the movie,knew it did not match the image formed.

Kept feeling that Watson(Jude Law)would have made a better Holmes.

This despite the fact that RD junior was playing it very well. Then the characterization seeped in and the film became complete.

Good production values,the era was created well and a well written script made it a good watch.RDJ and Jude Law shared a good chemistry.

But felt the BGM was out of sync with the scene in some places,sounded weird.

Once upon a time in the west: Good film if you can bear the first 50 minutes of 'nothing happening in slow motion'.

Gorgeously shot with all round good acting.

This film is a very good example of how BGM can elevate a scene,could feel the tension towards the climax and the BGM played a big hand in that.
    Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excuss me, first 50 minutes of OUATIW and 'nothing happening in slow motion' doesn't belong in the same sentence.

Agreed on BGM. It was composed first, and played on the sets for Leone to choreograph the visuals, to keep their union in proper sync and harmony.
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    Excuss me, first 50 minutes of OUATIW and 'nothing happening in slow motion' doesn't belong in the same sentence.

Agreed on BGM. It was composed first, and played on the sets for Leone to choreograph the visuals, to keep their union in proper sync and harmony.
    k-g,we differ,I found it very very slow,was almost fidgeting,maybe trained by the fast pace of everything these days . Esp slow was the first 11 min where the three guys wait for Charles Bronson to arrive in the train.
    Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinefan

k-g,we differ,I found it very very slow,was almost fidgeting,maybe trained by the fast pace of everything these days . Esp slow was the first 11 min where the three guys wait for Charles Bronson to arrive in the train.
    But that elegiac tone IS consistently maintained throughout. Stylistic consistency, from start to finish, in conjunction with desert setup & amoral tone of its thematic premise, should pass for aesthetic consideration. The slow buildup to Harmonica's Intro is one of the best. Leone manipulates the natural sounds to fit the desolate mood of the place (which will be book-ended in the end with Buzzing Workers, Free Society, and Birth of a City). The creaking door to the windmill to the buzzing fly as the sweat drips down wrinkled face (typically Leone actors in their rusticity) - the indifference/bleakness of time and space - that breaks into explosive gun-play. Quick arms! And with harmonica in his mouth, the tacit, tactful avenger is introduced. And efficiently the narrative is driven forward from Harmonica to McBain family to Frank to Jill to Cheyenne. All the while it's maintained resourcefully "somber". So as to signify the death of "Old Wild West" as it were, and how the urbanization would change the mythic West and render these characters 'faceless' in passage of time. Both the White men are left dead by the end. Cheyenne's character passing away is as solemn as it could be. And Frank is much a product of time and place. Unlike Ford who sides with, and glorifies the White American in "Searchers", Leone doesn't take sides with Frank. He observes how Harmonica ('Native' American) gets back at Frank. The Harmonica(s), Frank(s), Jill(s) and Cheyenne(s) are nothing more than pawns who grazed these barren lands in sands of time.
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber VENKIRAJA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I cannot think of such a brilliant opening sequence in any movie at all. Closest ones that come to my mind are Being John Malkovich, TDK and maybe 2001 (if 20 minutes can still be called opening sequence)