Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: andRu oru naaL

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

aruLarasan (@ psip*) on: Fri Apr 16 15:51:15

sUriyan,

The fact that incest, homosexuality etc exist in the society is not really a justification for *fiction* based on it.

nothing justifies anything at the deepest level. if reality cannot be a justification for fiction what else can be? we
    can all happily live forever in the land of stooges (they are my greatest heros, that's besides the point )

now for everybody,

one story of gOkul's was about gay marriage (mudivu), one was about incest (manaveLi oru sila mirugath thadangaL) and
    two were about adultery (oru payaNa kuRippu and akkA). please don't say we don't have to write about adultery. his other
    stories in the hub are maraNam, peyarillAdha kadhai (i like to call it agrahAram), nirangaL, azhivu are quite off-beat.
    i have read his other stories (sorry gOkul to say this here) which he has chosen not to publish here which are very good.
    maraNam, peyarillAdha kadhai, nirangaL were posted on jan 1st and azhivu on Apr 1.

one story by kAnchanA (kanA kaNdEn thOzhi nAn- Mar17) was about gays. other stories by her were totally different and dealt
    with finer aspects of our mundane life. oru kELvi and kAdhalin maRupakkam were posted in mid-feb and the others were in
    march and now there is an X. she had posted her stories at regular intervals.

rAmki posted few stories way ahead of others and his serila mAthA pithA guru vadham was the only one that dealt with
    adultery, even though two of his other stories dealt with sex and love.

pae stories, except for muttai parOttA, were nothing close to sex or love or other "unspeakables" of our hypocritical
    life.

probably, none of us could appreciate PJK's stories. (it is stupid of me to write such a statement but it's way
    for me to vent my anger. sorry) his thamizh was very different from the chocolate quoted fake thamizh of sujAthA's and
    his clones we are all used to. he has probably altogether left this hub for lack of any appreciation of his
    stories. this is a sorry state of affairs.

rAdhA sanjay wrote three stories very early in this forum and one of them was about adultery (vElaikkAri). the other two
    were fabulously sweet "homely" stories.

bAbu wrote kolai, nilA kAdhal and nERRu varai nAn. except for nilA kAdhal, his stories weren't about taboo issues.

sUriyan wrote two: varasidhdhi vinAyagar and erichchal vandhadhu EnO? which one of them is unlikable?

i am stopping the listing here with the oldies. the recent wonders shivA, bull, aruLarasan, rEkhA, what can we say about them.

i have tried to list here the stories that did not deal with the taboo issues and you could see many of them were published
    here before "recent phase of rekindled interest" in this hub. if only stories which deal with adultery and incest and
    gays affect us more, then it means that (1) those stories were written in a powerful manner; (2) we are not able to
    digest what's written there; (3) maybe we are afraid of something. is it xenophobia?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Udhaya (@ 205.*) on: Fri Apr 16 21:54:13

Shilpa/Reka/Aishwarya/Michelle Pfeiffer,
    whomever you are, "Andru Oru Naal" is a classic in narration. By listing the young girl's everyday routine and slowly weaving in the danger that's possible amidst our mundane everyday life, you've handled domestic horror in the best possible way--subtlety. Understatement makes the issue rage.

Handling inflammatory material doesn't make a writer gratuitous. Only those getting off on the taboo nature of the written material in a wink-wink-nudge-nudge manner is the truly troublesome thing about such fiction. A keen look at every so called "troubling" story in the forum shows the absolute class and care given by all writers in this forum.

I've already mentioned my sentiments about writers catering to readers' tastes in the last part of Ramki's "Maadhaa Pidha Guru Vaadham". A writer is not a Jukebox. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Reka (@ atl-*) on: Sat Apr 17 01:02:51

Ravi Sundaram Sun Sororiyan- thank you!

Udhaya, it is a real pleasure to read your comments. I owe it all to you for the support and encouragement you have given me always.
    Thanks a million!!!!!

AruL, thanks for including me (and yourself) in the recent wonders))))

Post Thanks / Like

sun/sooriyan/ravi sundaram/ravilyn sanders (@ 192.*) on: Fri

aruL: My point was that fiction does not need
    justitication. I illustrated with an example
    too. One does not have to say " I wrote about
    the because it happens in
    the society". It is always the authors
    peroregative to choose the subject.

The theme mix is refreshingly varied and wide in
    this site. It is hard to believe some of them are
    first time writers from the style/ sensitivity/
    naLinam with which they have handled even the
    tough subjects.

Post Thanks / Like

rama (@ 202.*) on: Tue Oct 26 15:45:58

whatz this nothing is decodable?

Post Thanks / Like

Venky (@ ineh*) on: Tue Oct 26 16:45:11

rama: download murasu anjal from http://www.murasu.com/download.html

Post Thanks / Like

Sugrutha (@ 1cus*) on: Sat Apr 29 18:36:28

Shilpa,

As someone said your story's potency was multiplied by weaving that dangerous moment into a deceptively normal day. These things have probably always happened in our society but swept under the carpets for the sake of not disrupting harmony in the family. Buit imagine what these little girls and boys go through for a very long time after these incidents. Some of us have had first hand experience, so we are careful with our children. But some of us never exposed to these incidents, and for such of us these stories are enlightening and educative and helps us to take care with our own children.

Post Thanks / Like

kumar (@ ) on: Mon Aug 13 11:26:40

pls send me some stories

Post Thanks / Like

chitra (@ 61.1*) on: Mon Sep 10 11:36:48

send me much stories

Post Thanks / Like

sri (@ 203.*) on: Tue Oct 30 01:19:10

Dear all