16. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 18.75%
  • no

10 62.50%
  • not sure

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriages within relations.. Your views on this please.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Marriages within relations.. Your views on this please.

Marriages within relations.. Your views on this please.

Is it right or wrong to marry your cousins amongst your relation? I guess in the ‘olden’ days they did this to keep all family members together. Personally I don’t like this idea at all.

Scientifically babies born to adults (who married their cousins) has ‘higher’ chances of genetic disorders, premature births and various other health risks

Pls share your views
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sathya_1979's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    my view (along with TM) - marriage enbadhe waste, sondhathula senjaa enna, veLeela senjaa enna? btw, dnt ask me why u got married, senja appuramdhaane theriyudhu :sigh:
    Damager - 30 roovaa da, 30 roovaa kuduththa 3 naaL kaNNu muzhichchu vElai senju 30 pakkam OttuvaNdaa!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sathya_1979
    my view (along with TM) - marriage enbadhe waste, sondhathula senjaa enna, veLeela senjaa enna? btw, dnt ask me why u got married, senja appuramdhaane theriyudhu :sigh:
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my dad's village, at least till my gen, the marriages to aththai-makan / mAman makaL kinds and also the girl-thAi mAman kinds were very common.

The children never had any disabilities or such peculiar genetic disorders / defects etc. All were like any one of us, nothing abnormal. In addition, due to stronger family bondings / controls, the marriages were a lot more stabler (whether grudgingly the couple held on to it or lovingly, we'll never know, but stability was a fact).

That way, all this 'relative-marriage-brings-more-genetic-disorders' thingy, if one goes by what I've seen in real life, is questionable (even though docs / science crazy people keep harping on it).

That a genetic defect within a family group can easily get passed to the offspring is a simple fact, it will be the same case even if some individual from out of the family group marries such an individual with a serious defect

IMO, while there's this 0.5 probability thingy difference if one or both spouses have a serious genetic defect to affect the child, that probability really does not matter to the one who's born with a defect

With current advances in medical science, it would be good if each individual tests himself / herself to screen off any huge medical issues, prior to marriage (whether or not the partner is gonna be a relative).

Or at least prior to having a baby. Couple living without ever having a baby is so common here in the west and I wonder if it will be too long before it catches up to Indian couples.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Myself a product- a standing healthy example- of such an alliance. A very common, harmless practice with many facets of advantage is dwindling now.
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Immediate cousinsna a big NO... scientific reasons thaan kaaranam... 2nd circle of cousinsna I feel it is okay...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    scientific reasons thaan kaaranam
    Can you list out what exactly are they? (Including the 'genetic disorder' thingy that I briefly mentioned about)

Post Thanks / Like
    My mum and dad were cousins too. My mum's mum (my grandmum) is the sister of my dad's dad (my grand father).

But my question is does it improve family bondings to a 'greater extent' ?

Thiru where are you

Post Thanks / Like
    The rh+ / rh- mismatch, for example, has nothing to do with aththai makaL business.

I know of a couple -NOT athai makaL kind but found out later to have rh diff.

They had such a healthy first baby but both their 2nd / 3rd children were unfortunately born deformed and didn't live to complete 1st / 2nd years

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO !
    Anbe Sivam

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast