View Poll Results: Is this healthier for the Indian Economy?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 33.33%
  • No

2 33.33%
  • Not Sure

2 33.33%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Students Studying Overseas ... why ?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indian medical council head was recently arrested for bribe and authorities recovered about 1800 crores cash and 1.5 tonne (1500 kg) of gold!

I can't belive that Indian medical education can be cheap (i.e. for those who pay everything and do not come from the regular merit stream).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sathya_1979's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    Indian medical council head was recently arrested for bribe and authorities recovered about 1800 crores cash and 1.5 tonne (1500 kg) of gold!

I can't belive that Indian medical education can be cheap (i.e. for those who pay everything and do not come from the regular merit stream).
    Idhai pathi ellaam pesinaa indha naattula kalavaram vedikkum
    Damager - 30 roovaa da, 30 roovaa kuduththa 3 naaL kaNNu muzhichchu vElai senju 30 pakkam OttuvaNdaa!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you need to look at how much you owe (bcos of the loan) when you get loan and complete your MD and residency!

You will be in a big debt, of course ready to make big money!

There are some schools who have MD/PhD program for TOP students where the tuition is free! However there will be some other "commitments" But you need to be really BRIGHT to get into such program!
    This is a very big world!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sathya_1979
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine

Idhai pathi ellaam pesinaa indha naattula kalavaram vedikkum
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    thamiz,
    either way, it ain't cheaper or safer (in anyway) to study in India.

There are some schools who have MD/PhD program for TOP students where the tuition is free! However there will be some other "commitments" But you need to be really BRIGHT to get into such program!
    Yes and most students don't qualify for such courses. These programs are only for the truly gifted. Most students in America just take any scholarships they can. Sports et all.
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    How much is the tuition for a medical student for the first year in India?

Here is the list in US!

And show me it is expensive there!

http://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/..._of_study=2010

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    thamiz,
    There're tons of ways to get aid / scholarships that could cover most of these expenses (i.e. for locals like citizens / GC holders).

So, if one gets such, the final cost won't be this much. Such assistance is never possible for a NRI student in India.

In addition, most students in US also can support themselves with some kind of work that pays reasonably well (again I'm talking about locals and not F1 visa kinds). That too helps reduce the cost burden on parents, if they are spending for the child's edu. Such thing is hardly heard of in India (may be possible nowadays with more employment opportunities but I doubt).

Some factors to consider...

Post Thanks / Like
    This is from a discussion forum where one wants to send his kid to India for medical school. Here is the answer by someone!

Two types of medical colleges graduate students: one is run by the different state governments; and there are a few private medical schools.

To get into the former you need to take their entrance exams and students are accepted based on the test results alone or in some cases entrance test results+(physics, chemistry, and biology marks from the 12th standard final exams). Indian citizenship is also a requirement as far as I know. Tuition is extremely cheap because it is heavily subsidized by the government.

Private schools are run for profit. Most, not all, private schools take students based on how much they are willing to pay. (Some do take students based on marks, but the fee structure is not pocket friendly.) Most of them are filled up with kids that did not make it to the state schools. Or they are filled up with NRI (Non Resident Indian) students who choose to come to India to get their medical degree for a variety of reasons.

Hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    How much is the tuition for a medical student for the first year in India?
    It's not Yearly....It's usually supposed to be paid in One DD.

Check it urself... I don't care enough to go looking for "Proof" abt MBBS Fees in India, with the pathetic net speed I have here. Check srmc.edu to get a general idea. And $125K is what they show publicly...

Not to mention the expense of Living for the Student Studying here, and the expense for the courses necessary to get certified.
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    Or they are filled up with NRI (Non Resident Indian) students who choose to come to India to get their medical degree for a variety of reasons.

Hope it helps.
    Yup! And with the whole Merit/Reservation Fiasco that this country has got going on....It's not just how well a student has performed which determines if he gets into a state school or not. That must be noted...
    Back after a while...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast