View Poll Results: Is this healthier for the Indian Economy?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 33.33%
  • No

2 33.33%
  • Not Sure

2 33.33%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Students Studying Overseas ... why ?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surya,
    That reason could possibly be attributed to kids whose parents too stay abroad. I don't think that's true in the case of kids whose parents are in India (I think the thread talks primarily about them) who play a big role in the choice of where their children will have edu.

One of the main reasons is the kind of facilities that an average school abroad offers v/s what an average school in India can provide (I don't know about present but till 2003, they were horrible).

When we think of Indian schools, we shouldn't consider IIT/NIT kind of colleges which are too few considering the millions of students who try to study. They do have great facilities / faculty etc but they are available only to the brightest students or who can get the seats allocated.

What will an average student do, with parents who can spend money for edu abroad but cannot get a seat in IIT/NIT? They decide to go abroad to get the BEST FACILITIES / FACULTY!

(My son is "graduating" in a month's time and he had done home design / car design / 3D modelling / ROV design etc in his 12th grade with complete access to the latest autocad and many other grafix tools, full-fledged facilities - all in a very ordinary, humble school district in the metro Detroit area. I've been to his school many times and each time wonder how even REC Trichy didn't have this kind of facilities in 80's, and I've been to a number of private engg colleges in TN as late as 2003 and found the facilities nothing compared to a middle school here!)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know Indian students wouldn't usually come to a school in the US or something just to get away from home. I've seen many Indian Students studying in the US, and I've also seen how attached they are to their family, and how much they miss them.

There are a few who do the other too. But that's just a few.

I just said that becuse I thought it was interesting, and vaguely relevant. :P

(My son is "graduating" in a month's time and he had done home design / car design / 3D modelling / ROV design etc in his 12th grade with complete access to the latest autocad and many other grafix tools, full-fledged facilities - all in a very ordinary, humble school district in the metro Detroit area. I've been to his school many times and each time wonder how even REC Trichy didn't have this kind of facilities in 80's, and I've been to a number of private engg colleges in TN as late as 2003 and found the facilities nothing compared to a middle school here!)
    Yeah, that's very true... Ramachandra is supposed to be a well funded Institution, but it's still not in comparison with the Facilities in the Med Unis in the USA.

BTW: That's awesome that ur son's graduating. It's the end of an ERA! High School days are days which no one will ever forget, especially if they went to High School in America!

I'm surpriced though, I thought the Detroit School System was bad, judging from the "Detroit - Murder Capital" Image. Are you in Detroit City, or in a Suburb?
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    Surya,
    The metro Detroit area is an interesting mix of everything - from variety of people / cultures / languages / colors etc.

I live within a 10 minute reach of GM's HQ (i.e. Detroit downtown) but the city is different- Allen Park, hosting the Detroit Lions football team If I cross a road from my home, it's another city - Melvindale and cross a few blocks in another direction, it's Dearborn (Ford world HQ is 5 min from home). There are 6 different cities from my home within the distance of 2 miles, including the City of Detroit.

Actually, out of the 4 mn or so in the metro Area, only 800K live in the city of Detroit (which is the current #1 in crime in USA, poor, battered etc). The rest live in 100's of cities around, within a 20-25 mile distance.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The funny thing is some people those who settled in US and in a situation of sending their kids to "college education" thinking of sending out their children to a private medical college or engg college in India as they find that is "affordable" and "safe"!
    This is a very big world!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surya
    Do you see a problem with me laughing now???

And I probably know more about this topic than most of you posting here.

Post Thanks / Like
    And indha facilities are great matter ellaam

The average salary of a Master's degree holder who graduated from a US university >>>> ...... an Indian university.

I am not talking about the IITins etc. who come here to purse a career in Research and Development etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nerd,
    I thought the original intent of the thread was about bachelor's (and that's why mentioned about the facilities thingy).

About Master's, no question about it, easy route to get a job abroad.

Post Thanks / Like
    App,

Your facilities thingy is valid for someone whose parents live here. For someone who comes to the USA for higher education (be it bachelors or masters) all that matters is money and settling down.

Btw, I don't know about UK, but I think its the same there too - as far as USA is concerned the no. of people who come here for their bachelors is almost negligible when you compare it with the no. of people who come here to get their masters degree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thamiz
    The funny thing is some people those who settled in US and in a situation of sending their kids to "college education" thinking of sending out their children to a private medical college or engg college in India as they find that is "affordable" and "safe"!
    Ayoo Semma Comedy!!

As a person who attends a private medical college in India....Most NRI Students come to India to study because it's a lot faster to get a Degree in the Medical Field in India since there are no requirements for Premed courses! Not because its "Safe" If anything, it's more dangerous to be here if u don't know what ur doing. And not because it's cheap, it turns out to be the same either way, that's how much these "Private" colleges here charge.

Intha matter ellam theriyaama yaaro vaaye vittutangalo....it's wokay tamiz, neenge eppavuma panra vishayam thaane idhu!
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Surya
    Do you see a problem with me laughing now???

And I probably know more about this topic than most of you posting here.
    No I don't!
    Back after a while...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast