Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Jikki remembered through her song lyrics..

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

venkat (@ 24.1*) on: Thu Aug 19 21:53:46 EDT 2004

My tribute to Jikki and link to one of my all time favourites, Janavule(Telugu) Movie:Aditya 369, Music: Illayaraja, Singers: SP Balasubramaniam, Jikki, SP Shailaja

http://www.tamillinux.org/venkat/myb...es/000378.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Kum (@ 69.7*) on: Thu Aug 19 22:52:17 EDT 2004

venkat,

very nice man!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeru pootti povaaye(Kaalam maari pochu)

Yeru pootti povaaye

kaLLam kapadam illaadhavane ulagam povadhu puriyaadhavane (kaLLam...
    yeru pootti povaaye aNNe chinnaNNe un thunbam ellaam theerume aNNe chinnaNNe (yeru
    navadhaanyathai thalaiyil sumandhukinu pazhaiya kanjiyai thalaiyil thookkikinu
    thaaru kuchchiyai kaiyil eduthukinu penjaadhiyai kooda ittukinu (yeru
    mela thisaiyil vaanavil paaraai idiyum minnalum mazhaiyum paaraai
    odaiyum kaalgalum paaivadhu paaraai ulaga kothalgal(?) aruginil paaraai (yeru
    meniya nilathil(?) thaazha uzhudhukko edathula valathula erudhai poottikko
    kaalu vidaamal vidhaiyai pudichukko vidhaiyai ellaam visiri vidhaichukko
    kaaNiyai vittuttu poravanga 'town'le bangaLa katturavanga
    bankula paNathai padukkuravanga undhan thanmaiyai uNaraadhavanga (yeru
    uLLoor thanile sellaadhavanga katchi kattiye udal vaLarthavanga
    desa sevai endru koovuravanga udambai vaLaichu uzhaikka maattaanga (yeru
    padhavigaL sathamena kuthikkira perum ottu vaangi unnai vaLaikkira perum
    neeye gathi ena varuvaar vaaraai neeye...
    kaalam maariyadhu kaalam maariyadhu kaalam kaalam kaalam maariyadhu (yeru

I think this is from Kaalam Maari Pochu ! c 1950.

Post Thanks / Like

Raj (@ 208.*) on: Fri Aug 20 02:43:55 EDT 2004

Saravanan: I posted Yeru pootti povaaye from memory and listening to an old recording. Some words may be wrong. It is not Tanjore Tamil. Otherwise, I would have figured it out! Your help with the detail is greatly appreciated. I have not sung or listened to this song in four plus decades!
    The song applies to the conditions prevalent in Tamilnadu even today!

Post Thanks / Like

B.P. Thiagarjan (@ 61.1*) on: Fri Aug 20 04:25:22 EDT 2004

It is interesting to note that Yeru putti povaye is for Wahheda Rehman (Hindi fame). Jikki sang another song in Alibaba for Waheeda Rehman- Salam Babu Salam babu ennai parungo.

As compared to PS, Jikki can sing any song in few hours due to her capacity to pick up the language. During those periond most of MDs concenrated teaching more on music notes than the langauge teachings. For PS MDs have to spend more time for language than Jikki. So most of them preferred Jikki. Also she was not at all a complicated personality and Jikki was an amicable person always.

Post Thanks / Like

G. Padmanaban (@ 128.*) on: Fri Aug 20 11:51:53 EDT 2004

It is indeed a sad news.. my heart feels heavy.. even though every person born in the world has to die one day (?!??) there are some people whose death will do something to your heart. Jikki was such a lovely singer, who, unlike some contemporaries of hers didnt get as many chances in the last 15 years or so, which she richly deserved. I dont know what her last song is.. but the last song I heard and it is famous is "Vanna Vanna Solleduthu" from Sentamizh Paattu.. What a lovely song!!! That one, sung about 12 years ago, was pure melody, with Jikki's voice sounding like a very young lady's. It is appropriate, as she sings the slow part of the song,

Naanum Indha Boomiyil
    Neela nadhi pOlavE
    Nadandhiduvenn engeyum......

sure.. she might not be alive now.. but she will be there in our hearts..

Post Thanks / Like

Saravanan (@ 213.*) on: Fri Aug 20 12:27:39 EDT 2004

Raj, Great! Most of the lyrics are right.

I too have only a poor recording of the song. But on repeated listening, I made a few corrections:

kaLLam kapadam theriyadhavane ulagam povadhu puriyaadhavane (kaLLam...
    yeru pootti povaaye aNNe chinnaNNe un thunbam ellaam theerume aNNe chinnaNNe (yeru
    navadhaanyathai thalaiyil sumandhukinu pazhaiya kanjiyai thalaiyil thookkikinu
    thaaru kuchchiyai kaiyil eduthukinu penjaadhiayum kooda ittukinu (yeru
    mela thisaiyil vaanavil paaraai idiyum minnalum mazhaiyum paaraai
    odaiyum kaalgalum paaivadhu paaraai ulaga pottalil aruginil paaraai (yeru
    meniya nilathil(?) thaazha uzhudhukko edathula valathula erudhai poottikko
    kaalu vidaamale vidhaiyai pudichukko vidhaiyai ellaam visiri vidhaichukko
    kaaNiyai vittuttu poravanga 'town'le bangaLa katturavanga
    bankula paNathai padhukkuravanga un vallamaithanai uNaraadhavanga (yeru
    uLLoor thanile sellaadhavanga katchi kattiye udal vaLarthavanga
    desa sevai ena koovuravanga udambai vaLaichu uzhaikka maattaanga (yeru
    padhavigaL sathamena kuthikkira perum ottu vaangi unnai vaLaikkira perum
    neeye gathi ena varuvaar vaaraai neeye...
    kaalam maariyadhu kaalam maariyadhu kaalam kaalam kaalam maariyadhu (yeru

I still couldn't decipher 'meniya nilathil(?)'

Film: Kaalam Maaripochchu (1956/Sarathi Films)
    Lyrics: Mugavai Rajamanickam
    Music: Master Venu

Kaalam Maaripochu starred Gemini Ganesh, Anjali Devi, T.S.Baliah, S.V.Subbiah, Thangavelu & others. Waheeda Rehman appeared for this song.
    Dialogues were also by Mugavai Rajamanickam.
    The film was directed by Thaapi Chanakya.

The film was a remake of Thaapi Chankya's Telugu hit Rojulu Maaraayi (1955). The Telugu original starred Nageswara Rao & Sowcar Janaki. The Tamil songs were in the same tunes set for Rojulu Maaraayi.

The Telugu equivalent of 'yeru pooti povaaye' was 'yeruvaka saagaloi', also sung by Jikki. Waheeda Rehman had appeared in the Telugu song as well.

G.Ramanathan adapated the same tune for his 'summa irundhaal sOthukku nashtam’..uNmaiyOdu uzhaikkaNum thaanE thannanna (P.Leela & Jikki/Udumalai Narayana Kavi) for Madurai Veeran (also 1956/ Krishna Pictures)

S.D.Burman adapted the tune for his Bombay Ka Babu (1960/ Naya films/ Dev Anand & Suchitra Sen)- ‘dekhne mein bhola hai, dil ka salona, bombai se aaya hai, babu chinnanna’ (Asha Bhosle/ Majrooh)

Interestingly, some years back, when I was discussing these various adaptations of the same tune with a Telugu speaking friend, his father, who was sitting quietly till then, looked at me amusedly and said that the original was not even ‘yeruvaka saagaloi’, but a vintage HMV record of Telugu folk songs by a composer called Jaganath Rao, and he even sang the song, which, as far as I can recall went ‘cheedikki maadikki!’

The tune seemed to have caught the fancy of so many composers!

Post Thanks / Like

Sreenivas Paruchuri (@ 80.1*) on: Fri Aug 20 14:18:27 EDT 20

Dear Saravanan,

Almost a book can be written on the song "Eruvaaka saagaarOy" covering all kinds of discussions that had taken place on the same.

Your friend's father is correct, for the tune was 'based' on age old Telugu folk tune: #ayyO koyyODaa..#, recorded by Valloori Jagannaadham in late 1920s. He was a big name in singing folk songs. But, it may not be 'his' tune, but a 'traditional' one. The exact song refered by your friend's father is: #cheeTiki maaTiki chiTTemmanTaav, china naayuDunTaDu, peda naayuDunTadu chiTTemmaa ani pilavakarO ayyO koyyODaa! ...# These lyrics was sung by Jikki and the famous Comedian actror-cum-singer Kasturi Sivarao (who was in late 40s and early 50s as popular as NSK in TN!) in film: #Srii lakshamma katha# (1950, Music: CR Subburaaman).

Then came Master Venu with his tune in 1955. Apart from the tune, Waheeda's appearance and introducing the traditional instrument: #Dappu# (~drum) Kosaraju Raaghavayya's lyrics contributed enormously to the great popularity of this song.

Now, to the controversies ... When the same tune was used in #madurai veeran#, HMV filed a suit in a Madras court for plagiarizing the 'tune'. Though it had been a common practice until then, it was for the first time some one raised an objection.
    Then entered the well known (folk) singing stars: Sita and Anasuya (folk song in (middle class) Telugu circles is synonymous with their names!) who claimed it to be their 'tune' for they recorded #koyyO koyyODaa ...# years earlier. Anyway, the court's ruling went against HMV people, at that time.

Well, the discussion was re-rolled in 1990s ...

Post Thanks / Like

Raj (@ 208.*) on: Fri Aug 20 16:29:19 EDT 2004

Saravanan: Thanks for the corrections and the history. I didn't realize there was so much behind that song! After I posted the lyrics I tried all possibilities with mEn-i. I think it is mEzhi meaning plough. I did not expect that word in that song. It should be 'mezhiya nilathil thaazha ' meaning 'hold the plough down'! I remember this well. During my summer visits to my ancestral village, I used to get the honor of initiating the farming season by starting the ploughing first. The plough handle was as tall as me. Somebody used to hold my hand and the plough handle to make sure it did not slip and hit the bulls! Those were the days!
    Thanks again. I will think about the next song.

Post Thanks / Like

Saravanan (@ 195.*) on: Sat Aug 21 01:28:28 EDT 2004

Dear Sreenivas, thanks a lot for that enriching post. I wonder why HMV didn't make any objection to Master Venu using the tune! Or did he take their permission to do so?

Raj, you're welcome. Thank you for making me listen to it carefully, for I realize more than ever what a fantastic singer Jikki was!

Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast