View Poll Results: Which Era is the peak of Tamil Cinema (summ votea mattum podatheengha)?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50's

1 2.38%
  • 60's

8 19.05%
  • 70's

4 9.52%
  • 80's

18 42.86%
  • 90's

8 19.05%
  • 00s

3 7.14%
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Golden Period of Tamil Cinema

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Scale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Golden Period of Tamil Cinema

//60s is the Golden Period of Tamil Cinema//

Brother NOV,

Can you please list 10 good films of 60's with Artist Name, MD, Lyricsist & Director's name which I may not aware of. I absolutely adore these giants (+KVM/Vaali...) and have no doubt on what you say but I would like to judge by the quality of films.

app_

Though you didn't intend to draw a decade comparison it sounds that you are more likely devoted to Raaja' entry. Well that doesn't emphasize anything late 70's & early 80'snu solrathukku pathila 80's la Raaja/Mahendran's/BR pottu paarkalam.
    [/u]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Scale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If interested, we shall take it to a new thread 'Golden Period of Tamil Cinema '

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    NK
    Mahendran & IR வாழ்க

Makes one think whether some of kurumbus in post-marriage-MR movies had his wife's inputs...

Also re-emphasizes the fact that the best movies in TF happened in late 70's / early 80's
    yep!
    OM NAMASIVAYA

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can certainly see it if we talk about 60's being the golden age for music, lyrics etc. Although I, along with app, might consider 70's for that also, one can see why 60's can be held as the pinnacle for music as well. Lyrics - well, there cant be any doubt, Kannadasan strides like a colossus and his peak IS TFM's peak on lyrics

But what I cant see is the 60's being the pinnacle for movies. A colossal waste of Sivaji's talent is the theme of 60's tamil filmdom. If we didnt have NT, then we can justify the kind of standards we had in 60's, but the fact that with such a talent on board, TF only managed to churn out what it did is a shame.
    Dont get me wrong NOV, I will watch many of those movies with relish now but to call them the golden age is quite taking it too far. Mahendran is really the peak of Tamil Cinema. And he has never got enough credit for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    And what a waste that Mahendran didnt have a role for Sivaji Ganesan although NT was active and kicking in the late 70s and early 80's. I wonder if the people around NT pushing him into meaningless sandhippus and the like were the reason for this. Maybe MS can clarify.
    I cant believe that Mahendran didnt even think of doing a movie with NT.

(Btw, I do know about thangapadhakkam )

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    A colossal waste of Sivaji's talent is the theme of 60's tamil filmdom. If we didnt have NT, then we can justify the kind of standards we had in 60's, but the fact that with such a talent on board, TF only managed to churn out what it did is a shame.
    Dont get me wrong NOV, I will watch many of those movies with relish now but to call them the golden age is quite taking it too far. Mahendran is really the peak of Tamil Cinema. And he has never got enough credit for that.

agree on each and every word except i would add maniratnam/bahrathiraja/balu mahendra "creating" at the same time period along with mahendran as the peak of tamil cinema.....highest peak that cant be scaled again IMO
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Senior Member Veteran Hubber VENKIRAJA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    agree on each and every word except i would add maniratnam/bahrathiraja/balu mahendra "creating" at the same time period along with mahendran as the peak of tamil cinema.....highest peak that cant be scaled again IMO
    +1.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sarna's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    A colossal waste of Sivaji's talent is the theme of 60's tamil filmdom. If we didnt have NT, then we can justify the kind of standards we had in 60's, but the fact that with such a talent on board, TF only managed to churn out what it did is a shame.

KB illaama 70's and 80's'aa .... peak of tamil cinema'va ?
    ஊரு வம்ப பேசும்
    அட உண்மை சொல்ல கூசும்
    போடும் நூறு வேஷம்
    தினம்
    பொய்ய சொல்லி ஏசும்
    ஏ தில்லா டாங்கு டாங்கு
    அட என்னா உங்க போங்கு

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    guys, we can never come to a consensus on this one as each of us have our own standards.
    a person (much) older than me would probably consider MKT days as the best.

I posted that in response to a_e to actually pinpoint this.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scale
    app_
    Though you didn't intend to draw a decade comparison it sounds that you are more likely devoted to Raaja' entry. Well that doesn't emphasize anything late 70's & early 80'snu solrathukku pathila 80's la Raaja/Mahendran's/BR pottu paarkalam.
    Scale,
    I posted in another thread about my "movie-watching-sabbatical" from 76 to 81 save a lone dharam-veer That way, though I got immensely attached to Raja's music in those years, my interactions with on-screen stuff was nil

I've revisited some of those classics over the years - actually still visiting , seen uthirippookkaL & NK only in the last 10 days, yet to watch muLL-malar, haven't watched avaL app etc. OTOH, I have watched a good % of BR, BM, MR movies as well as the yesteryear classics like the 'pA' series movies of Bheemsingh and other acclaimed Shivaji movies of 60's. Those are great movies, phenomenal music no doubt but the offerings of Mahendran are a class altogether different, superior!

Watching three within a short span of time - UP, Johny & NK within a span of 10 days - has kind of changed my perception of TF history and I'm at awe with this colossal talent called Mahendran These are Padmarajan kind of stuff, for which there are equivalents only in MF, IMO.

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast