Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Respect the elders - What does it really mean?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So one must lose one's hair to gain wisdom? Since women never get completely bald does it mean they never become completely wise? Or should they also go to Pazani or Thiruppathi?

//Sudhamma must be searching for a cane to beat us! //
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pavalamani pragasam
    So one must lose one's hair to gain wisdom? Since women never get completely bald does it mean they never become completely wise? Or should they also go to Pazani or Thiruppathi?

//Sudhamma must be searching for a cane to beat us! //
    pp: Now, they are talking about one third reservation for women in parliament. I think women should ask for such a reservation in wisdom category !
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Post Thanks / Like
    One third is not my choice; one half is my logical, legitimate demand!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pavalamani pragasam
    One third is not my choice; one half is my logical, legitimate demand!
    Let us start with one third and increase it to half ! Male chauvinists won't go for half to start with !
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are going to end up ultimately in surrendering their whole share to a matriarchal society! History repeats itself!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Please NOTE the word.. Bald-headed..

...MAN.!..?

It means the LEADERSHIP of Bald-headed... MAN for ALL...

... the Young MEN... plus ALL WOMEN... YOUNG AND OLD... Too.!

Post Thanks / Like

no one can claim for respect. it would come as one deserves it and i feel that the respect we receive is the best scale to shape ourselves.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Punnaimaran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    Good questions, Rajan, reflecting the sad state of lack of consideration for others who are physically not in the shape they once were!

My comment about gratitude to elderly is not just limited to our parents / grand parents but to all as they have contributed to the things we enjoy today in one way or another (trees, roads, researches that accumulated knowledge etc are simple examples). So most of those who have positively contributed to the society deserve our gratitude.
    (Ofcourse criminals & such negative characters don't deserve such respect simply because they have grey hair).
    app_eng,
    Very true. But nowadays the word gratitude seems to be taken out of the dictionary.

Rajan.
    The comments, as 'பெருசு வீட்டுல சொல்லிட்டு வந்துட்டியா', can be heard only in Chennai in my experience and our Tamil films have played a big role in promoting such dialogues as a part of their "comedy". But I personally believe that the parents' attitude / behaviour towards fellow human being also plays a bigger role in the behaviour of their children.
    இந்தக் காட்டில் எந்த மூங்கில் இசைக்க வல்லது என்று மயங்கிய பொழுது
    இறைவன் தேர்ந்தெடுத்தப் புல்லாங்குழல் தான் நம் இசைஞானி !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Punnaimaran
    ...and our Tamil films have played a big role in promoting such dialogues as a part of their "comedy".
    Couldn't agree more with you on that. Films have always been a major influence on the society. Sad to see the way the mass medium getting mis-used grossly.

As for reservation for women, I am totally against it. Why reservation? Aren't we all born equal? Why can't women get out there and change the perspective? Why do they need reservations to be able to do anything?

I vividly remember my college days - a bus starts from Presidency college - then the only co-ed college in Chennai. All the girls used to occupy general seats forcing the boys to occupy seats reserved for women. By the time the bus crossed Queen Mary's and Ethiraj, all men were standing and all seats were occupied by girls.

Even though it was a teenage prank played by the girls, I believe that it does paint a picture of what happens in a reservation. We all experience firsthand what is happening in the government sectors where reservation is enforced.

Anyone who was looking for a job in the mid 70s to the mid 90s, would for sure have faced the obstacle of reservations - not only for getting a job, but for even getting a promotion.

Treat every one as equals. Women are as much capable of doing anything that a man can do. We have classic examples in Indira Gandhi, P.T. Usha, Kiran Bedi to name a few. They have all been pioneers in their chosen fields, and I am sure there were no reservations.

Rajan
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Punnaimaran
    Rajan.
    The comments, as 'பெருசு வீட்டுல சொல்லிட்டு வந்துட்டியா', can be heard only in Chennai in my experience .
    Such a comment irritates me as much as when an old man demands respect just for his age and not for what he really is!

Are we not having old people with a "spectrum of attitude" (good, bad and awkward) just like young people?
    This is a very big world!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast