View Poll Results: Opener #2 in the HUB ODI team (90's+)

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 'Entertainer' GillyChrist

6 26.09%
  • 'Ghatothkajan' Hayden

1 4.35%
  • Dada Sourav Ganguly

5 21.74%
  • Viru Virumandi Sehwag

2 8.70%
  • SuryA-dA, Jayasurya

8 34.78%
  • '194 vada pOchE' Saeed Anwar

0 0%
  • 'ivan epdi inga vandhAn' Nathan Astle

0 0%
  • 'Silk' Smitha..er.. Mark Waugh

0 0%
  • puyal Dilshan

0 0%
  • Cool Cat Chris Gayle

1 4.35%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Hub ODI team (From 1990) - Opening Partner for GOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    Candidate #8
    Saeed Anwar
    Memories of a single, spectacular innings obscure what is otherwise a mediocre career. But that 194 will be something this man treasures all his life, and will tell his grandchildren about, if he takes time off his preaching to breed a clan, that is.
    I dont know how I can recommend him over other candidates, especially as the 194 has been, deservedly, overtaken by GOD. Whatever.
    Allov he was one of the more fluent strokemakers of the 90s.
    Much has been written about Ganguly being 'god of the off-side' but I think Saeed Anwar was just as fluent if not more. Square drive ellAm kaN-la oththikkalaam.

Apart from 194, there are several other innings including his SarchA dream run in the early 90s that stand in my eye itself, that I register my protest against such summary dismissal of such a player.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    sari appO mandapathula kavidhai ezhudhi kodunga. naan inge post paNNi prize vaangidarEn.

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R
    Candidate #8
    Saeed Anwar
    Memories of a single, spectacular innings obscure what is otherwise a mediocre career. But that 194 will be something this man treasures all his life, and will tell his grandchildren about, if he takes time off his preaching to breed a clan, that is.
    I dont know how I can recommend him over other candidates, especially as the 194 has been, deservedly, overtaken by GOD. Whatever.
    Much has been written about Ganguly being 'god of the off-side' but I think Saeed Anwar was just as fluent if not more. Square drive ellAm kaN-la oththikkalaam.

Apart from 194, there are several other innings including his SarchA dream run in the early 90s that stand in my eye itself, that I register my protest against such summary dismissal of such a player.
    He is the only player to hit 3 consecutive 100s in ODIs. Innum yaarum break pannala. And he was leading the race to most centuries in ODI then. Sachin overtook him easily.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    But podhuvA face bowling, bounce-nA aNNan kathakaLi aaduvArnu keLvi pattirukkEn. I havent seen much of Anwar. Fans manam puNpattirundhAl mannikkavum. Revised write-up koduthIngannA edit paNNidarEn.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Kalyasi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemaster1982
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R
    Candidate #8
    Saeed Anwar

He is the only player to hit 3 consecutive 100s in ODIs. Innum yaarum break pannala. And he was leading the race to most centuries in ODI then. Sachin overtook him easily.
    Sachin overtook Desmond Haynes in Singer Cup Final against SRL...

After that it has been Sachin all the way!!
    em Chennai! yaam vaazhum pon Chennai!
    viral ayinthum theendamal vegamattom!
    thazhthalum sangathigal vizhthalum!
    thaai mannil sagamal sagamattom!! -- Saagum Varai CSK

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Kalyasi. When Sachin was stuck at 12 100's for almost an year(1997-98 season), it was widely expected that Anwar would broke Haynes' record. Anwar's tally was 15 hundreds then.

Sachin came back to form in 1998 and after he hit the 13th century against Aus in Kanpur, he just went on scoring 100s, leaving Saeed Anwar far behind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Kalyasi. When Sachin was stuck at 12 100's for almost an year(1997-98 season), it was widely expected that Anwar would broke Haynes' record. Anwar's tally was 15 hundreds then.

Sachin came back to form in 1998 and after he hit the 13th century against Aus in Kanpur, he just went on scoring 100s, leaving Saeed Anwar far behind.
    oh ok..

btw Zaheer Abbas was to first to score 3 consecutive ODI centuries and Gibbs was the latest to do it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyasi

oh ok..

btw Zaheer Abbas was to first to score 3 consecutive ODI centuries and Gibbs was the latest to do it...
    Are you sure about ZA? I distinctly remember this reading in Sportstar. Gibbs adichadhu theriyaadhu

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyasi

oh ok..

Are you sure about ZA? I distinctly remember this reading in Sportstar. Gibbs adichadhu theriyaadhu
    Yeah ZA got it against India(all the 3) in 1982.... and Gibbs did it in 2002 against Ken, Ind and Ban....
    Anwar payyapulla did it against SRL in 1993 nu nenaikaren... therila..

Post Thanks / Like
    Anwar did this against WI and India in Sharjah. for the info Kalyasi.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast