Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back, AF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sourav's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    WB Feddy!
    "Sehwag is the most destructive modern cricketer, There is no doubt abt it. He is just so destructive. He is totally fearless"-Viv Richards

Senior Member Diamond Hubber VinodKumar's's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back Stan. Viradhathuku kaaranam ennavo

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Three from Tendulkar

There's something about the passion Sachin inspires that makes cricket worth it

Tanya Aldred
    November 27, 2009

Genius, strength of character, compassion, and a way with the ball © AFP

Oh Sachin, shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou are more lovely and...

Oh dear, there is something about Tendulkar that draws out the sixth-form poet in me, an instinct that should have been locked firmly away back in 1991. There's something about his genius and his strength of character and his compassion and his (now shorn) curls. Something about the way he hits the ball with such deliberation and power but yet such precision and grace. Something about the passion he inspires that makes cricket worth watching and writing about. So I know it's a little late, but here are the three Tendulkar moments that sing to me.

On an English spring day in 1999, India and Kenya travelled to the West Country for their World Cup group game. Indian supporters, in their blue shirts and with painted faces, filled Bristol with a sound to quite new to me, I'd never been to a game where British Asians made up most of the supporters. Then the noise crescendoed, as if someone had removed a mighty muffler: Tendulkar walked in. As he strode out it was 92 for 2; 101 balls later he flicked the last of the innings for six over midwicket. He made 140, and as he hammered and cut and drove the ball with a sort of mastery, he seemed in a different world. He probably was. Two days earlier he had been at his father's funeral in Mumbai. At the end, amid the celebrations, and with great dignity, he quietly dedicated his innings to Ramesh Tendulkar. Oh, and Rahul Dravid scored a century too - not that anyone seemed to notice. He'd get used to that.

Two years later I was on my first tour of India. The heat was rising in Ahmedabad and by mid-morning had drained the energy even from the fingertips. It was December and the dust kicked up from the road on the long ride to the ground and the cattle seemed to groan as they passed by. This third morning of the second Test between England and India, the scooter park was much fuller than it had been - Tendulkar had been two not out overnight - and grew yet more crowded as he progressed, as if each stroke belched another 200 vehicles into the yard. Tendulkar was regal, disdainful. Nasser Hussain, intense thinker that he was, tried to contain him with a version of leg-theory, but he swatted balls away from outside off stump and deposited them through the leg side without lowering himself to a this-is-easy smirk. I can still hear the crack of one shot off Matthew Hoggard and remember looking for it on the grass to find it had already crossed the boundary. The facilities for the crowd were basic verging on grotty, but you'd never have guessed it from the enthusiasm and the noise. It grew like a rapidly approaching herd of buffalo: Sa-chin, SA-CHIN, SACHIN-SACHIN, and sticks were beaten against railings in unison, and feet were stamped and sari-ed grandmothers looked ready to swoon. I'd never heard a noise like it, and never have since. He made 102, practically perfect, runs. And when he was out the ground emptied. But it didn't matter.

In August 2007, India were practising for the one-day internationals against England and I dragged my one-year-old and three-year-old to Old Trafford to see Tendulkar for themselves (I had made the assumption that he might be about to retire and this might be their one chance to see him. Hah.) We were too late for the nets but hovered around outside in the car park, in the sun, with about 30 other families waiting for the Indian team to make the 20-metre walk to the coach. The players pottered out in dribs and drabs and the children were beginning to lose interest in the whole enterprise, when at last a short, sunglassed, cropped-haired fellow emerged. No, he didn't bend down and give them his autograph and a winning smile, but walked past briskly, shyly almost, and climbed aboard the coach as fathers pleaded desperately for his autograph. The children saw him for all of five seconds, but seemed pleased, and I felt I'd done my duty. Because unless he keeps going for another five years he will be nothing more to them than another old player in another old book. Which is a terrible thought. Although, Sachin, but thy eternal summer shall not fade. Oh damn...

Tanya Aldred lives in Manchester. She writes occasionally for the
    Guardian

http://www.cricinfo.com/page2/content/story/436773.html

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/user/starnews.../0/nMqEpsf7lmE

Sachin Tendulkar honoured as Group Captain in Indian Air Force
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajithfederer
    [ but you'd never have guessed it from the enthusiasm and the noise. It grew like a rapidly approaching herd of buffalo: Sa-chin, SA-CHIN, SACHIN-SACHIN, and sticks were beaten against railings in unison, and feet were stamped and sari-ed grandmothers looked ready to swoon. I'd never heard a noise like it, and never have since. He made 102, practically perfect, runs. And when he was out the ground emptied. But it didn't matter.

[/tscii]
    We are blessed..WE ARE BLESSED to have known and experienced that feel.

when he enters the ground, when he hits his fist boundary, when hits that six,when he hits a century...adhu oru thani feel!
    OM NAMASIVAYA

Post Thanks / Like
    Sachin becomes Group Captain in IAF

Sachin Tendulkar interacts with media after receiving an honourary rank of Indian Air Force Group Captain at a function in New Delhi on Friday.

Photo: Shanker Chakravarty

Sachin Tendulkar was on Friday conferred with the Indian Air Forces honorary rank of Group Captain to honour his cricketing achievements and contribution to the nation.

Tendulkar is the first sportsperson to be conferred a rank by IAF and the first personality with no aviation background to receive the honour.

In 2008, Kapil Dev had received the honorary rank of Lieutenant Colonel of the Territorial Army.

Tendulkar was inducted into the Air Force as its brand ambassador with IAF chief Air Chief Marshal P V Naik doing the honours in a glittering ceremony at the Air Force auditorium here.

It's a great pleasure and honour to be honoured by IAF. It was wishful thinking and it has come true today. Im extremely proud to be a part of IAF. I want to urge the youth to join Air Force and serve the nation. So dream, because dreams do come true, Tendulkar said after receiving the honour.

Earlier, President Pratibha Patil had conferred the honorary rank of the IAF on the iconic batsman on June 23 this year.

The rank was conferred on Tendulkar under the provision of granting honorary rank by Armed Forces to eminent personalities acknowledging their contribution towards the nation.

The IAF had, in January this year, mooted a proposal to confer the honorary rank of Group Captain on Tendulkar.

IAF feels that besides the recognition, his association with it would motivate the younger generation to join the Air Force to serve the country.

Mr. Naik said the batting legends association with IAF will help in making the youth aware about the Air Force.

Youth admires him (Tendulkar). I think the youth will get inclined towards the Air Force. What youth will do in future we cant say but the indications that we are getting from school students ... we are hopeful.

To take corrective measures in reforming the IAF is my duty and Sachins association will help in spreading awareness (about the Air Force), Mr. Naik said.

Before being felicitated with the honorary rank, Sachin had gone through a process of familiarisation with the IAF and training in basic military practices and drills.

Keywords: IAF, Sachin Tendulkar

http://www.thehindu.com/news/article...?homepage=true

LM, Please upload the pic in this link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Maddy for the video. Sir looks super smart in his Air force Uniform. .
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    http://www.youtube.com/user/starnews?feature=mhum&ref=nf#p/a/u/0/nMqEpsf7lmE

Sachin Tendulkar honoured as Group Captain in Indian Air Force

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.ndtv.com/news/photos/albu...chin+Tendulkar

LM/PR please enable all the images in this link to this thread.