Page 53 of 339 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Sir Sachin Tendulkar 4

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sathya_1979's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfee...hc/194725.html

When Tendulkar can attend camp why not all sportspersons: HC
    PTI
    New Delhi, Aug 2 (PTI) A woman wrestler not selected for Commonwealth Games as she was irregular in training was refused relief by the Delhi High Court, which said even Sachin Tendulkar goes through camps before any big cricket series. Sonika Kaliraman, daughter of late wrestling guru Chandagi Ram, along with three other wrestlers who had challenged the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) decision to drop them from the list of probable players for the CWG, scheduled from October 3 to October 14, 2010, here. Dismissing their plea, the court said that "every sportsperson should follow the procedure". "Even after hitting so many centuries, Tendulkar has to attend training camps before any cricket series. If he goes to camps for training then why cannot you," Justice S Muralidhar said adding that "every sportsperson should follow the procedure". The court said there is no "arbitrariness" on the part of the Federation in rejecting their participation in the game as they took the decision on the basis of current form of players. "Irrespective of past performances, the Federation is supposed to select players with good current performance," the court said while setting aside their contention that they should have been selected on the basis of their past performance. Sonika, a well known wrestler had alleged that the selection procedure adopted by the WFI was unfair. The wrestler, who has also participated in reality tv show 'Khatron Ke khiladi' with bollywood star Akshay Kumar, alleged she was not able to participate in the training camp as she was not well and was in the US. Earlier, the High Court had issued notices to the Central Government, the Indian Olympic Association and the Wrestling Federation of India on the wrestlers' petition.

Thalaivar a la Goundar: Kusthi case ellaam namma kitta varudhuba! Naan enna courtaa vakkeelaa?
    Damager - 30 roovaa da, 30 roovaa kuduththa 3 naaL kaNNu muzhichchu vElai senju 30 pakkam OttuvaNdaa!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tendulkar relishes the ache of endurance

It is a record Sachin Tendulkar was expected to break. Opening his innings at the tail-end of the last millennium, no one could spend two decades in the international game and not go past his other peers in terms of the number of Tests played.

In their time, the cricketers whose names will now follow Tendulkar's on this list of iron men were once indefatigable: Steve Waugh, it seemed, would never melt and Allan Border looked like he would never crumble.

Yet after them Tendulkar arrived. As he steps into the P Sara stadium on Tuesday morning, this blazing comet of a cricketer, who batted at a rhythm different from Border and Waugh, will become the last of their kind - the long-surviving Test titan.

Stretch the imagination 22 years ahead and see if you can pick any fresh Test stripling of today - Umar Akmal, Eoin Morgan, Steven Smith, Adrian Barath - to go past 170 Tests.

Other than Bradman's 99.94, Tendulkar now owns the marks that batsmen dream about: most runs and most centuries. If those were about skill, this one, 169 Tests, is about his hunger. More than anything else, it is what has taken him this far and what has given his career a mind-bender of a second wind after the gloom of 2006.

The day before his 169th Test appearance, he described his sport much like Glenn McGrath did, calling it 'simple'. In an interview he had once talked about its more complex layers. "There is not a single boring day," he said, "when you don't learn anything new."

Those could have been the words of a young man in his tenth Test but that was circa 2003. Tendulkar the cricketer has switched effortlessly between youth and maturity. When he turned 18 and was by then an 11-Test veteran, his city's signature tabloid Mid-Day put him on the cover of their Sunday magazine supplement, posing on Marine Drive, dressed in a shirt of riotous colour at the wheel of his first car, a Maruti 800.

A taciturn teenager, far from the confident sage of the 21st century, he had these words of wisdom to offer on his coming of age. "When you are 18," he said, "you're not young anymore." When he had gone two series without a hundred, it was said that far too many allowances were being made for his age. In his third series and his ninth Test, three months after turning 17, he batted at No. 6 just ahead of Manoj Prabhakar and produced the first of his 48 centuries in Manchester. It was expected and it happened. This was the prodigy who fit into his India cap with ease, without open tantrum, controversy or angst.

With 168 Tests, Tendulkar has grown up in public and so appears timeless but he is a different man from the cherub who couldn't hide under the helmet grille. Until the first crack of his bat made the annoucement of intent that is. The noise of the crowd lifted him but in the first half of his career, even when captain, Tendulkar lived with a peculiar strain of white line fever. The competitor on the field was a man of deep reserve when outside its boundaries.

Even though he grew up in a slightly more mellow age - one in which his telephone number could be found by looking for his father's name in the Mumbai telephone directory - he lived with public expectation and dependence like no other teammate peer or contemporary. Still, whatever his inner debates about a youth lived in the open, his batting remained reliably resplendent. As he would himself say, there wasn't a day he wasn't learning, be it how to season a long innings with strokes that had until then belonged to his one-day repertoire or experimenting with what it meant to be anchor over aggressor.

What defined him most sharply as the youngest of men in Indian cricket still remains as he becomes the game's oldest. Before the icon and the brand and the deification and the 37kg coffee table books comes the batsman.

It is as if his mind has always been deliberate, undistracted and his heart, when stepping on the field, full with youthful optimism.

He will prepare for his 169th Test just like he always has, in calculated, thoughtful steps.

During nets on Monday, he would have inspected the P Sara wicket and calibrated all the information into method and shot selection. He described it once: "I look at the wicket and the opposition and analyse their strengths and weaknesses and then pick my shots. These are the shots that will bring me closer to 100 per cent success. You try and minimise your risks. But in spite of that you make mistakes."

Then when back in his room, on his own, he will spend ten minutes on a visualisation, part of his pre-match preparation since he was a school boy. He will see the bowlers before him, the stationing of the field, the feel of the ground, the heat or the breeze, the noise of the crowd, "so when I actually go there in the middle it's the second time I'm going there, not the first".

He may pick up the bat he has carried back with him to his hotel like he does every time and maybe shadow practice a little. Just before his 169th match, he will do all of this, part-drill, part-prayer, equal respect given to practice and providence.

When he goes out on the field, with India creaking at their joints, Sachin Tendulkar will have with him a record that is a reminder not of champagne and glory but the ache of endurance. But he will walk lightly because, like always, he will be the young man of 16.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sathya_1979's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Old article, still worth a read again:
    http://www.cricinfo.com/sachinat20/c...ry/434423.html

'The best batsman I've bowled to' There's Steve Waugh and Brian Lara. And then, a notch above, there's Sachin Tendulkar

Allan Donald

September 1, 2002

I had been watching Sachin Tendulkar on and off before we (South Africa) were readmitted in 1991. People were always talking about him so I was aware of what we were going to come up against, and I remember Craig McDermott telling us that he was going to be the best in the world.

Our first engagement was in 1991, in Calcutta, in front of 90,000 people. He made 62. And it was blatantly clear then that he was going to be a player to remember.

Before I played against him I was always looking forward to having a crack. Then I realised just what I was up against. When someone like Tendulkar walks to the crease, you have to know what you are going to do. You can't just run up and bowl. You have to have planned your attack, your line, a week in advance.

Everything about him is just so exceptional. He is wonderful technically and he has everything - class, speed, all the shots, and he is cool under pressure. Cricketers always talk about his amazing balance, even the Aussies. I've seen tapes of Sunil Gavaskar and if you split the screen between him and Tendulkar, they look virtually identical. I have never seen a man with such immaculate balance - it is freakish.

People go to a Test match just to watch Tendulkar. I, for one, would rather watch him than bowl against him. Actually, I'm glad I'll never have to bowl to him in a Test match again, though I've been quite successful against him. He is No. 1 in my book - the best player I have ever had the privilege of bowling to. There's Steve Waugh and there's Brian Lara, who was wonderful in 1995, but Tendulkar is a class above, consistently special.

Your margin for error against him really is marginal. If you get him on a flat track, when he is, say, 50 not out off 24 balls, then you know that you have a very long day ahead and the situation can be very, very demoralising. The best knock I can remember him playing was at Newlands in 1997, when he was just unstoppable. We only got him thanks to a blinding catch by Adam Bacher off a hook shot, otherwise he would have gone on and on.

Under Hansie Cronje we studied hard for a Tendulkar weakness. We thought he might be vulnerable, especially early in his innings, to the ball that is bowled from wide of the crease, coming back in off a good length. He might then be bowled through the gate, or be lbw, especially on English wickets. We also tried peppering him with short balls - not many top-class batters like that - but it didn't really seem to bother him. The one thing that might rattle him is being restricted. He loves scoring, and scoring quickly, and if he is frustrated, sometimes he goes out and looks for the big shot.

I don't think he really gets rattled by sledging. Glenn McGrath tried it and Tendulkar just kept running at him and hitting him back over his head for four. I think that, like Steve Waugh, sledging just makes him more focused: I don't think it is a good idea to have a word.

The ball I bowled to him in Durban in 1996 was the best ball I have bowled to any cricketer. I think he hit the first two balls after lunch for four, then I came from wide of the crease and the ball really went a long way to bowl him. I don't think I've ever celebrated like that - you save those for the big ones. We had discussed how to bowl to him, and I knew what I was trying to do, but I never expected it to go so far off the seam to knock out the off stump. It was a great sight. That series was billed as the Donald-Tendulkar battle, but he got his own back at Cape Town with one of the best knocks I've ever seen.

Tendulkar is already a legend so I'm not sure how he'll be remembered - what comes after legend? He is still young and if he plays till he is 35 who knows what he'll achieve. He's the best in the world, one of the most magnificent players there's ever been. He's also a nice guy, a soft-hearted bloke who gives 110% and just loves playing cricket.
    Damager - 30 roovaa da, 30 roovaa kuduththa 3 naaL kaNNu muzhichchu vElai senju 30 pakkam OttuvaNdaa!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sachin Tendulkar's all-round greatness means he will not be surpassed

To understand what Sachin Tendulkar has meant to Indian cricket, it's necessary to look beyond his record-breaking 169th Test appearance, achieved yesterday in the series against Sri Lanka, and his batting heroics. Think instead of a man who has 198 wickets, 154 of them in one-day internationals, an individual who has never been less than fully involved out on the field despite having been around since the days when Mike Gatting was leading a rebel tour of South Africa.

Think back to a World Series game in Australia in December 1991. The West Indies were waning as a limited-overs force, but when they skittled India for 126 in Perth, few gave Mohammad Azharuddin's side a chance of salvaging anything from the game. But West Indies then fell apart themselves and it was left to Curtly Ambrose and Anderson Cummins to get them within range. Ambrose was run out, and Cummins and Patrick Patterson then levelled the scores with Azhar having turned to Tendulkar's medium pace as a last resort.

With the last ball of his only over, Tendulkar tempted Cummins to flash outside off stump. Azhar took a fine catch in the slips, and the game was tied. Two years later, the boy with the golden arm was at it again, this time in the Hero Cup semi-final against South Africa, a team who were coming into their own as a one-day powerhouse. Again it was Tendulkar that Azhar turned to, with six needed from the final over. He gave up just three, and went on to sneak one through Brian Lara's defence in a final where West Indies were routed.

In Tests, Tendulkar's partnership-breaking ability came to the fore in matches where he didn't contribute as heavily with the bat. In India's most cherished victory of all, at Eden Gardens in 2001, he made 10 in both innings. But facing a race against the clock to bowl Australia out on the final afternoon, it was his intervention after tea that effectively killed off Steve Waugh's hopes of clinging on to a series lead.

On a worn pitch and with the capacity crowd bellowing approval, he ripped the ball at near-right angles to supplement Harbhajan Singh's heroics at the other end. Adam Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden and Shane Warne all fell leg-before, unable to fathom the extent of turn as Tendulkar tossed up leg breaks, googlies and the odd quicker one.

More than two years later, at Adelaide, he made 1 in the first innings of a game made memorable by the batting of Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman, and some rare Ajit Agarkar moments in the Test-match sun. With Australia setting India a target on a surface where chasing has never been easy, Tendulkar made his mark when it mattered most, with Australia 142 ahead and having seven wickets in hand. Damien Martyn and Steve Waugh were undone in successive overs, both by prodigious turn and edges to Dravid at slip.

In Multan the following spring, he produced another Warne-like special to bowl Moin Khan through his legs to ruin Pakistan's hopes of saving the follow-on. India went on to win by an innings and 52 runs, and the dismissal buried some ghosts from the recent past. At Eden Gardens in 1999, Moin's gritty 70 had been pivotal as Pakistan recovered from 26 for six to win a Test match.

His last Test wicket came at Wellington in April 2009, and you have to go back a further 18 months and a game against Pakistan in Guwahati for his last ODI wickets. A shoulder that required surgery has been keenly felt on Asian pitches, where his spin and ability to wobble the ball off the seam gave his captains an option well worth checking out.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni, the current India captain, will console himself with the thought that the bowling decline has gone hand-in-hand with a batting resurgence. In seven Tests this year, Tendulkar averages more than 96, and has five centuries. Overall he is averaging 56.25 in Tests.

Back when he started playing, 20 Test centuries and 10 more in the one-day arena marked you out as one of the all-time greats. The benchmarks he has gone on to set in both forms of the game make a mockery of everyone else who has played in this era.

Consider this to put things into perspective – Andrew Flintoff is five years younger and his peak lasted six years, from the hundred against South Africa at Lord's in 2003 to the Ashes-winning encore of last summer. Tendulkar was scoring match-saving Test hundreds at Old Trafford when Flintoff was 12, and he'll play his sixth World Cup next spring, while Fred watches from the sidelines.

As Sharda Ugra, who has seen Tendulkar progress from prodigy to old hand, asked in Cricinfo: "Stretch the imagination 22 years ahead and see if you can pick any fresh Test stripling of today – Umar Akmal, Eoin Morgan, Steve Smith, Adrian Barath – to go past 170 Tests." You can't, can you? Few records in sport are safe, not Bob Beamon's, not Hank Aaron's and not even Jack Nicklaus's of 18 majors. But Tendulkar, like Bradman and his 99.94, will endure. No one else will even get close.

Post Thanks / Like
    A comment from a blog in Guardian.co.uk. Perfectly sums up what makes Sachin special. Thanks to the ICF member who posted this.

To give people an idea why he means so much to Indians is that India and Indians have never been good in any internationally recognized sport with the odd exception. Our hockey team was once good and we've had great chess players. But in the sports that most people follow we've never had anyone, until Tendulkar. For an Indian to be considered one of the best batsman ever, for one to be held in such high esteem by his contemporaries is what makes him special. Shane Warne still waxes lyrical about him. Flintoff said he's the best he's bowled to. Allan Donald said there's Waugh, Lara and then there's Tendulkar. Does he have weaknesses, yes? But name me a batsman that doesn't? It's his ability to play different styles, against different bowlers in different conditions that make him stand out. I've seen him hit a Warne bouncer for 4 where Gilchrist is laughing because he can't believe what's just happened. He's smashed quicks, medium pacers, spinners - you name it. Does that mean he's the best player against spin ever? Or the best player against pace ever? Who knows. I've not seen every batsman who's ever played. But he's the best player against all these types of bowling I've seen. He's got the widest range of shots I've ever seen. And it's not necessarily about match winning innings or hundreds. It's about making you think that this bloke can do something I can't even imagine. My favourite innings of his was a 76 he got in Mumbai against Warne, McGrath, Gillespie, Fleming. It was the match before the famous Kolkata one, the last of Australia's 16 in a row in 2001. India were all out for 176 in the 1st innings. I can't remember what the score was when Tendulkar was out but he must have made about 70% of the team's total at the time. His strokeplay was unbelievable to the point that Justin Langer said afterwards it was the closest to batting genius he's ever seen. Did India win? No. Did Tendulkar get a hundred? No Did McGrath eventually get him? Yes. But for 2 hours I was spellbound and it's the best batting from anyone I've ever seen - Lara, Richards, Ponting included.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber VinodKumar's's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    [html:c8f7a78d97][/html:c8f7a78d97]

Thanks Vinod

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to belittle the great man's acheivements or anything. But I recently read that he still hasn't scored 100 in both innings of a match.

It is not the benchmark of a great batsman. But would love to see him add that little feather as well to his overloaded cap.

And who better than the Aussies to do it against.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sourav's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Sehwag is the most destructive modern cricketer, There is no doubt abt it. He is just so destructive. He is totally fearless"-Viv Richards

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to BCCI for scheduling the 4 match Test series against England. So all in all to stress it to the Limit a very important year and a half from now till the early 2012 for Tendulkar and Indian cricket. An away tour to SA, ODI World cup 2011, Eng tour and I am almost pretty sure that there will be a test tour to down under australia by the fag end of 2011. I would go up a notch higher and say this is the Most important phase of thalaivar's cricketing life.

IMO, We have three important test series wins to register. We have to win in SA and in Australia. We can never win hereafter if we cannot win with this team in South Africa. Yes I mean it. In Border-Gavaskar Trophy, we missed in 2003, We were robbed in 2007 and we need to clinch it this time in 2011. We have to beat the English and defend our crown next year in England and prove that 07 Test win wasn't a fluke. If we achieve all this I will be mighty happier.

Now back to Thalaivar, me and LM were discussing over in fb the other day. Sachin ain't young anymore and my dear fellow fans we may have to face the harsh truth sooner or later. Yes, I am talking about his retirement . He is nearing the impenetrable 100 centuries barrier and if by a good TEAM performance we win next year's cup there are chances that he may call it a day. My personal wish is that he continues to play tests for another 2-3 years but we have to respect his decision if he takes one and welcome him with open arms. The man has given more than half his life already for cricket.

P.S: Thanks to Vinod for bringing the pictures and lm for enabling it. BTW, Yes I voted for ICC's people award and thanks to sourav for bringing it to notice here. Thanks to anybody who posted info on this thread over the month and a half.