Page 329 of 339 FirstFirst ... 229279319327328329330331 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,290 of 3383

Thread: Sir Sachin Tendulkar 4

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indian Air Force drops Sachin Tendulkar as brand ambassador.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    http://tamil.webdunia.com/sports/oth...30806020_1.htm

மாநிலங்களவையில் மேஜையைத் தட்டி சச்சின் ஆரவாரம்!

நாடாளுமன்றத்தில் மழைக்கால கூட்டத் தொடர் நடந்துகொண்டிருக்கிறது. அதற்கு வருகை தந்த சச்சின் தனது உற்சாகத்தினால் பலரின் கவனத்தை ஈர்த்துள்ளார்.

மாநிலங்களவைத் தலைவர் ஹமீத் அன்சாரி சாம்பியன்ஸ் கோப்பையை இந்தியா வென்றதற்கு பாராட்டுத் தெரிவிக்கையில் சச்சின் டெண்டுல்கர் உற்சாகமாக மேஜையைத் தட்டி ஆரவாரத்துடன் தன் மகிழ்ச்சியை தெரிவித்தார்.(ஆஹா மேஜைத் தட்டும் பழக்கம் நம்மவரையும் தொற்றிக் கொண்டு விட்டதே! அடுத்து என்ன அரசியல்தான்!)

பிரதமர் மன்மோகனைச் சந்தித்து வாழ்த்து பெற்றார். சச்சின் மனைவி அஞ்சலி பார்வையாளர் பகுதியில் அமர்ந்திருந்தார்.

முன்னதாக இருக்கையில் அமரும் முன்னர் பல உறுப்பினர்களும் சச்சினுக்கு கை கொடுத்தனர். பாலிவுட் பாடலாசிரியர் ஜாவேத் அக்தருடன் சச்சின் கலந்துரையாடினார்.

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ehh, most probably it must be one of his PR guys who is replying to these tweets.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    answering the prayers is important, does not matter if he delegates the responsibility...
    Sach is Life..

Post Thanks / Like
    Two Shots for a Lifetime

It’s been 23 years since Sachin Tendulkar scored his first century in the international stage. It feels like only yesterday when a young boy walked off the field in the company of Manoj Prabhakar at Old Trafford having saved a Test for India, with his bandaged Power bat politely raised in acknowledgment of the cheers, shirt slightly open, sleeves rolled up, with oversized pads that looked to be covering half his 17 year old body. Now he has 99 more of those hundreds.

It wasn’t until Tendulkar was on the threshold of 100 international hundreds that I had the opportunity to see him wield the willow, in the flesh, at Lord’s. But the 100th hundred wasn’t to be. Not for another 9 months. A seemingly made up stat looked to be weighing down the man who had shouldered the burden of billion expectations rather quite easily for 23 years. Such is sport.

I saw him ping the English bowling at Trent Bridge with a pretty fifty. On his home turf in Mumbai, he toyed with the West Indians to fall only 6 short. A majestic 73 at Melbourne was cut short by a Peter Siddle ripper. I also witnessed an innings that promised a lot more than the eventual 80 when a defensive prod found Hussey in the slips at Sydney. I have seen him bat in 7 Test matches in the space of 18 months. It was like an itinerant father trying to make up for all the lost time, of playing ball with his son in the backyard. There isn’t much time left now – got to make the most of it.

Tendulkar’s mastery with a cricket bat in hand has been described as many things, mostly invoking “Genius” and “Great” pretty generously, and without reservations. The Average also noted that of all batsmen, he looked the closest in the way he used to bat. There isn’t a shot in the book that he can’t play while looking, in equal measures, graceful and authoritative.

Some batsmen are remembered for a particular shot that they played so well that they become the benchmark for it. This is what the commentators call it the “typical <insert player name> shot”. A Brian Lara pull to square leg, where he finishes as expertly balanced as a gymnast with one leg raised in the air; a dreamy VVS Laxman’s wristy flick; a King Viv hook (although he owned the leg side from backward square leg to long on), Ricky Ponting’s front full pull; a Virender Sehwag’s flay over backward point; Even as you read this, I’m sure your mind is already recreating those shots by those batsmen.

There was no one that could execute the straight drive with as much technical correctness, elegant ease and pin point precision as Tendulkar has, over the years. No bat-maker’s label reacquainted itself with bowlers of the world as much as Tendulkar’s. There have been countless drives that have scorched past the bowlers, on either side of the wicket, and I witnessed two from the stands that stirred emotions in me like nothing else.

“He just sort of leans on it… it’s just a punch. There’s no big follow through, sort of thock. The head sort of goes to the off-stump and he punches it through mid on.”

“You sort of think that he hasn’t hit it, but it just rockets back past mid on. It is an exquisite shot.”

Those words of Nasser Hussain and Chris Cairns, respectively, were about Tendulkar’s signature shot, the on drive.

I was lucky enough to be at the Melbourne Cricket Ground when Tendulkar was in one of those moods where the conditions seemed to be irrelevant and the opposition, utilitarian. After a tentative start just before Tea on Day 2, Tendulkar opened the final session of the day, turning the clock back.

I was sitting in the first row, leaning on the fence, right next to the sightscreen in the Great Southern Stand along with a friend when Tendulkar bisected the gap between the non-striker (Rahul Dravid) and the stumps off a good length delivery from Ben Hilfenhaus. At that instant, in that stupendous moment of cricketing artistry, the joy I felt in watching something so sublime knew no bounds. Euphoria from having seen something supremely special washed over me—the tingling down the spine and the hairs on its end, that only a certain man with a willow in hand caressing a leather orb could cause.

My friend and I leapt out of our seats, cheered and high-fived. If not for that inner voice telling me “Don’t get arrested”, I was ready to jump across the fence and rush across the hallowed turf, to have a closer look at divinity in whites. There aren’t words to describe exactly what I felt at that moment in time. I remember thinking that the only way to convey it to him would be to give him a tight embrace and hope he understood. He surely would have. He must.

Trent Bridge, 2011. India soon to be halfway to a 4-0 shellacking and losing their Number One ranking in Tests to England. Faced with a monumental 4th innings target, Laxman and Dravid were already back in the hutch and the score was 13/2. I was seated in the Radcliffe Road End Lower Level, from which James Anderson was operating.

The arrival of Tendulkar to the crease almost always seems to put the match situation on hold, amongst the fans. After the standing ovation, the fans return to their seats, elbows resting on knees and hands under the chin, unbeknownst creep forward to the edge of their seats, in an avid expectation of a spiritual experience.

In a passage of play of 3 overs, Tendulkar unfurled a couple of off drives of the highest quality against a swing bowler who was on top of his game. Anderson adjusted his fielders at extra cover and mid off only for Tendulkar to find the gap when there was none.

Three slips. James Anderson with a pretty new nut, swinging. Tendulkar pressed forward, leaned in, transferred the weight, covered the line, the high left elbow and soft hands guiding the bat to meet the swerving ball soon after it pitched, screeched it past mid-off, straight towards us. Hallelujah! My English friend Rob, who had snuck in his camera with telephoto zoom lens, captured the moment that forever will be etched in my memory.

The reverberation of those shots still continue to echo in my subconscious – long after they were played; long after the crowds stood up collectively as one and applauded till their palms were sore.

My father-in-law is a wise man, and I’m not just saying that for the obvious reason. I like engaging him in conversations on a range of topics from social issues to sports, from politics to religion and everything in between. During one of those chats, he once told me the feeling he had when he held his firstborn child in his hands for the first time. He said, “I could see infinity”, referring to the bond between him, the father, and his son.

I do not have any kids, but I think I know what he means.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Good article LM. So how many matches do you think our man have left?
    “You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he would call it a day after SA series.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would like him to call it a day in India. But there are no test matches scheduled for the next 10 months here in India. Quite a bummer.
    “You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    India news

Put temperament above stats - Tendulkar
    Alagappan Muthu in Bangalore
    August 18, 2013

Sachin Tendulkar speaks at a Karnataka State Cricket Association event, Bangalore, August 17, 2013

Sachin Tendulkar: "It's about vision" © ESPNcricinfo Ltd

Sachin Tendulkar has highlighted factors beyond statistics, particularly the skill to absorb pressure, as vital indicators of fresh talent. Former India captains Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and GR Viswanath were in agreement with Tendulkar, during a discussion on the ingredients that make a good cricketer, at an event to commemorate the platinum jubilee of the Karnataka State Cricket Association in Bangalore on Saturday.

"It's about vision," Tendulkar said. "When it comes to selection, one has to analyse a player. Even if he fails in a few matches, one needs to see if he has the ability to withstand pressure and execute at the international level. I have seen players who are exceptionally good at the domestic level not being able to perform as well in international cricket."

That's a scenario that is not entirely unfamiliar to Karnataka. From dominating the Ranji Trophy in the late nineties, capped with three titles in four seasons from 1995-96 to 1998-99, and at one time boasting six players from the region on the Test side, Karnataka have had no new representatives at the highest level since Vinay Kumar's only Test in January 2012 - though Stuart Binny is currently with the A side on tour in South Africa.

Dravid, the last Karnataka regular in the Test side, identified experience and a desire to learn as remedies to bridge the gap between domestic and international cricket. "Hitting it off the middle in the nets is well and good, but it's different out in the field and under pressure," he said. "Watching the seniors helps. Sachin and Laxman and Sourav, the way they approach the game, the kind of shots they play, the kind of shots they don't play, the way they build an innings ..."

Viswanath continued in the same vein, saying hard work is an ally to talent. "When you look at four or five players, there will be somebody a little better [than the others]. But you can't just sit on your talent," he said. "You have to practice. You have to learn from your seniors. You have to keep working hard. Even Sachin did not become who he is overnight and I'm sure he is still working hard to stay on top of his game."

'Players that played me best'
    Kumble - My team: Sehwag, Tendulkar, Laxman, Azharuddin; opposition: Lara, Steve Waugh, Hayden
    Erapalli Prasanna - Chandu Borde, Vijay Manjrekar; Garry Sobers
    Bishan Bedi - Viswanath; Sobers
    Bhagwath Chandrashekar - Ken Barrington, because I could never beat him. I've beaten Sobers, Kanhai, but I was always disappointed bowling to him
    Ganguly, though, was swift to point out that every player, while picking the brains of his seniors, must trust in his own style of play and be careful not to copy another's game. "No two players' techniques are the same," he said. "It's all about the basics, going back and going forward."

Dravid agreed: "Individuality is important. Everyone has unique skills. You need to build on your game and keep improving. I was never going to succeed if I batted like Sehwag."

The mantle of teacher need not necessarily be limited to one's seniors, Anil Kumble, the current KSCA president, suggested. He said he considered himself fortunate for having high-quality players of spin in his dressing room. "Bowling against Tendulkar, Ganguly, Sehwag, and Mohammad Azharuddin was a great education for me," he said.

Video footage is another useful tool for a young player, the panel indicated, which had not been available before. Tendulkar remembered his debut series against Pakistan in 1989, when practice sessions were not as organised. "Now we have laptops which provide direct access [to match footage] within seconds to help plan better," he said.

Though far from perfect, as evidenced in the recent Ashes series, Bishan Bedi believes the DRS is here to stay. "In due time it will improve and everything will fall into place," he said. "Cricketers of the modern generation could also help eradicate umpiring blunders by being honest with themselves."

"I see a lot more shots in Tests. We are getting more results," Ganguly said, when the conversation turned to Twenty20 cricket. "Scores of 350, 400 in ODIs. There has been innovation in the game, no doubt."

"Captains are also being creative," Tendulkar added. "They are taking more chances [even if it means] going for runs and trying to get wickets with the ball."

But the fundamentals for success in the longer format still apply, Dravid said: "If you look at Chris Gayle, Michael Hussey, AB de Villiers, they are all very good players in Tests. It is easier for a player with good basics to adapt to T20, but it rarely happens the other way around."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/co...ry/663191.html