View Poll Results: Do diets work for you?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they do!

9 69.23%
  • Sometimes

2 15.38%
  • Hardly

1 7.69%
  • No - I never lose weight permanently

1 7.69%
  • Never - I put on more weight after the diet

0 0%
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: DIET KITCHEN

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Phulka:

Mix together req qty of wheat flour, salt, water to make a soft dough. the dough should not be hard at the same time it should not be sticky. sticky doughla konjam flour potu mix pannina varume oru soft dough...adhu thaan right consistency. Add in a tsp or so of oil. let rest for 15-30 mins.

Roll out into a moderately thick roti. Don't roll it very thin. U can use as much flour as u need to roll out the roti. Roll out all the rotis.

Heat a tawa (preferably non-stick) on a medium-high heat. place the 1st roti that u rolled out . after around 5 secs, turn over to the other side. Cook till u see nice bubbles. now take the roti & place on open flame (use tongs to handle the roti now) & ur phulkas will puff up like puris. take care not to burn the roti.

If U r not commfy cooking on direct flame, u can cook it on tawa itelf. these rotis will puffup well on the tawa also. follow the steps above for cooking & instead of putting on direct flamme, turnover the roti & put it on the tawa itself & let it puff fully. just give lil pressure all over the tawa to help it puff up quickly.

Take out & imme place in a hotpack lined with a kitchen towel or cloth towel. close the lid imme.

Note: make sure u cook the rotis in the order u rolled out so the rotis will get some resting time. This somehow makes a diff in the puffingup of the rotis.
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Selvi, try panni paarunga. U won't be disappointed.
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kugan98's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Diet Kitchen

Dev, thanks a ton for the recipes.
    We need different types of recipes to get us not bored with
    our meals.

I have to cook normal meals for the house people.
    So I can cook your recipes for myself.

Thats why I am eagerly waiting for Selviems recipes.
    I know she is very strict with her low calorie recipes.

You all know me, my recipes are all
    Thanks Dev, Kugan98
    Chefs are just like children.
    They should be seen not heard.

Post Thanks / Like
    K, try panni paarunga...in mutter paneer recipe, for others at home, u can add malai at the end instead of milk to make it rich & creamy... Yum!!!...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Shakthiprabha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi kugan, dev, other friends,

I would like to post a small easy recipe (many of u may know it)

My friend used to tell me, about how greasy our pongal is, and for an ARDENT MAD pongal lover like me, she advised a diff way of preparing pongal which she calls as kichadi. They eat it with kadi (curd ) or pickle...but thats our choice.

So this is typically our pongal conveniently renamed as 'DIET pongal'

Here it is for pongal lovers.

Make pongal just the way we make it...but hold on...add jeera, green chillies....and...lots of french beans, carrots, peas...(preferably cooked seprately with salt hing, jeera and added or can add it when u are pressure cooking) (no potatos plz though it may be yum to add on...remember this is diet recipe)....and steam it along with green gram and rice...but wait.......add ample water so that when cooked its kinda..loose like batter.

when done....ppl who find it bland...can add on ONE SPOON of ghee...else its good as such.

believe me it can be had with pickle or curd or ... just nothing. It tastes healthy...

u can season it with lil jeera / pepper and green chillies (optional)

_______

Variations:

1. She also makes onion tomato kichadi, where she adds onion and tomatoes (not other vegs) chopped finely and pressure cooked along with the pongal..

2. use toor dhaal (thuvaram paruppu) instead of green gram.

______

If u want ur food to taste YUMMY rather than healthy (for kids or guests) u can season it with lot of ghee and jeera with hing.

Sorry for the cumbersome write up and...no pictures to post too .... I hope some of u may like it.

Warning: This kichadi...is NOT PERFECT with sambhar or chutney. So....its better to have with curd/pickle...or just plain kichadi.

Post Thanks / Like
    SP, thanks a lot for the recipe... I usually make my pongal lil loose so I just need to add very lil ghee for seasoning & still not feel it dry. I've not tried veggies in pongal. Will try it next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sp's kitchadi reminds me of rava kitchadi/semmiya kitchadi. Though this not a strict diet recipe, the inclusion of vegs mmakes this boring upmma/semya interesting & healthier.

Rava kitchadi/Semiya kitchadi:

Grind green chillies, gin-garlic, pattai, krambu, sombu & fennel seeds , coconut-abt a tbsp to a paste.

Heat oil. Splutter mustard, green chillies, curry leaves. Add onions & saute till translucent. Add in a handful of cori & mint chopped & tomatoes. saute for a min or so. Add in the paste & saute until flavourful. Add lotsa mixed veggies(carrot-beans-cauliflower-peas etc) chopped fine,salt. Give it a good mix & add water. Let the water come to a boil & the veggies get cooked. Do not overcook the vegies. now add in white rava or semiya, stirring all the time to avoid lumps. Cover & cook on low flame till done & the water is absorbed.

Serve hot.

Note: U can add a lil ghee towards the end if u r not on a strict diet.

This recipe also works well with broken wheat- godhumai arisi(not wheat rava).

Post Thanks / Like

Diet Kitchen

SP maam, thanks a ton for your nice recipe.
    Even though kitchadi is known to everyone.
    Different people make different type of kitchadis.
    There will be a little variation which would give
    the nice taste.
    I am sure it will make an excellent lunch.
    Thanks again maam, do drop in when time permits.
    Kugan98

Post Thanks / Like

Diet Kitchen

Thanks Dev for the two nice recipes.
    These are all very filling recipes.
    We want these types to keep us from getting hungry.
    Thanks. Kugan98

Post Thanks / Like
    U r right Kugan... the only issue with the rava/semmiya kitchadi is that the white rava & semiya is very low in fibre. So to mmake it up, we've to add lotsa veggies to make the dish healthier... also less oil...

For upma, I usually make it a bit loose so that it'll not be too dry even when it goes cold. no lumpy feeling in the throat

Semiya has to be cooked right... else it won't be good. So I use less oil but eat the dish hot. I also like to have it with curd or sometimes onion raitha.

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast