Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gautam Gambhir !!!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Thambi Kavudham"-nu oru peyar already vazhakkula irukkE?

Gautam Gambhir-ai support paNNanumnu aasai neriaya varudhu aanA, naan support paNNi, avan fail aagi, sodhappiduvAnOnu nenaikkum bOdhu, vandha support ninnu pOyidudhu

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    People say (idhaan safe bet), that Goutham is the only current batsman (Master ellam vidhivilaku) who is capable of playing both spin and pace.. paiyan chinna vayasunaala over murukaa irukkaan.. still remembering that incident with Shame Watson .. and the following bans.

But a great find.. Dinesh Karthik, Wasim Jaffer,Vijay Gandhi ivanga ellaraiyum try panni maathi maathi kadaisiyila oru great opener kedaichhiruku..

Gounder: ivanga ellarukum ini test sidela chance "ooooooooo"

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1.

But seriously I didn't like the elbowing incident in the last oz tour to India. He was in fine form then with a double hundred and missed an important match. With that kind of form your team depends on you and you make sure you behave well.

But since that incident he is .
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemaster1982
    Another admirer here

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deputy DareDevil
    aaniyae pudunga venaam!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber VinodKumar's's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gambhir first Indian to score 5 in 5

Gautam Gambhir, while scoring 116 off 129 balls in India's second innings in the first Test against Bangladesh, became the only Indian cricketer to have scored centuries in 5 consecutive Test matches. The talented left-hander is now one hundred shy of equalling the record for hundreds in the most consecutive Tests. Batting legend Sir Donald Bradman has achieved this feat, having scored centuries in six consecutive Tests.

Gautam Gambhir is at par with Jacques Kallis and Mohammad Yousuf who have also scored hundreds in five consecutive Tests.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news...o-score-5-in-5

Senior Member Senior Hubber steveaustin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourav
    inga viru, yuvi, dhoni ellorukum kooda anti-fans irukkanga, but, noone opposes gauti i think...
    Till date, he is the only top order Indian batsman who never attracted me (qualitatively) at any point of time. I don't know about future. He is the boring cricketer in India in the recent times. There is no free flow in his shot making abilities. He looks like many of the olden day right handers from Australia. The way he plays, I think he lacks left hander's natural grace and elegance.

Quantitatively, he is greater than any other player in the Indian Team even in the world, as of now. Anyway, I have to appreciate his ability to make tons and tons of runs.
    “Genius begins great works; labour alone finishes them.” - Joseph Joubert

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Number Crunching

Gautam Gambhir's average in Tests since the beginning of 2008, which is the highest among batsmen who've scored at least 1000 runs during this period. Gambhir has scored exactly 2000 runs, with eight centuries and seven fifties.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sourav's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    FROM PRODIGIES TO LEGENDS – Part I

GAUTAM GAMBHIR (INDIA) – He might be 28 as he moves into the new decade. But, Gambhir’s performances over the past year or two have taken him to unexpected heights. Of all those young Indian batsmen who’ve come in the scene recently, Gautam Gambhir has been the lone shining star. His rise has left many of his peers behind.

Gambhir’s biggest asset is the amazing consistency he shows in all formats. He can bat for two days and save a test match; score a quick fifty in a T20 and at the same time make a huge century in an ODI. All this, Gambhir can conjure up in just about a fortnight’s time. This very talent makes him the ideal batsman for this decade. Being flexible, as I said before, is one of the most important characteristic for the new age batsman.

His batting style has got him lots of appreciations and compliments. One of the best he would cherish is Sehwag calling him “The New Wall” of India.

Gambhir will hold the torch held high for India in the next 5-6 years. He still has about 9-10 years of international cricket left in him.

Cometh 2019, Gauti will be a legend among mortals.

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2010/01/2...egends-part-i/
    "Sehwag is the most destructive modern cricketer, There is no doubt abt it. He is just so destructive. He is totally fearless"-Viv Richards

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    'I didn't ever want to come out of that zone'

How a man given to shouldering bowlers and mouthing off at them buckled down to play a knock of monk-like discipline

March 2009 in Napier is a time in life Gautam Gambhir happily transports himself back to. There is an unmistakable glee in his eyes when he talks about his match-saving 643-minute marathon, for just 137 runs. No man has batted longer in the second innings in 10 years. It is the fifth-longest effort in second innings in all Test cricket. By his own admission an impulsive man, Gambhir looks back at the three days of his most uncharacteristic innings.

Do you think that was the best you played?

I think that's the best I have played because of my concentration, because I had to play out of my skin. Being an impatient guy, even off the field, I would always look to score runs and score them quickly. Sometimes I panic if runs are not coming. So I had to play out of my skin, out of my comfort zone. It was a big achievement for me.

Do you remember exactly how many minutes and balls?

Ten hours and some minutes. Balls I don't remember.

You have played long innings before. You have scored double-centuries. But you score double-centuries in, say, eight hours, sometimes less, here you played 11 hours for just 137. Did you think you could play that kind of innings?

I had it in me. It used to hurt me that people thought I didn't have the technique and the temperament to play Test cricket. Scoring three double-hundreds in first-class cricket, obviously I had something in me.

What was the feeling when you went in to bat the second time, after making 16 in the first innings?

It was very difficult, batting two-and-a-half days to save the Test. I always thought it was a matter of taking it one hour at a time. Taking it one drinks break at a time, and then playing till the next break. If I had thought that I had to bat two-and-a-half days, I would never have been able to do it.

What was the longest innings you had played till then?

Must have batted for one-and-a-half days, that's about it.

Going back: day three, stumps, Viru was out already. What were you thinking in the evening? What did you do that evening?

I remember, I called up a very close friend and told him I had a very strong gut feeling that I was going to bat for two days. It was very instinctive. I was batting on 20-something. I got to the room and just called him up. He said, "It's not going to be easy." I said, "I know, but somehow I am getting the feeling that I will be able to save this Test match." Then it just happened.

The score moved slowly. In a normal innings you have milestones - say, 25 runs, 50 runs - where you switch off and come back on. What was it here? Runs couldn't have been, because you were scoring 12 runs an hour.
    If I had said I had to bat through two-and-a-half days, it wouldn't be possible. As I said, I broke it down to drinks breaks and then session breaks. At one point I was taking it five overs at a time. Five overs, then five overs, then drinks would come. So I had to break it up into very, very small goals. That's how it worked.

During the long partnerships with Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar, did you talk much?

There was a time when I was batting with Sachin when I scored one run in about an hour. I got stuck for one-and-a-half hours. I wasn't even in the zone of scoring runs. I wasn't looking to score runs. I don't know why. So I told Sachin, "First of all, I have got stuck. For one hour I haven't scored a run. On top of that, I am not even looking to score runs. It's a completely new place for me to be in." He said, "Sometimes what you are doing for the team is much more important than your personal goals. I think this innings will take you to another level. Don't think about your individual score, just think about the team. Maybe this innings will be the best you have played for India, and this could be the best anybody can play." That helped me concentrate harder and keep myself in the zone. Otherwise I was on the verge of losing concentration and trying to break the shackles.

When you were playing like that, do you realise that you have not scored many runs and if I you were to get out in three hours you would have scored only 40, and the team would not be in a much better position?

But we were looking to save the Test, not win it. If we were looking to win it would have been a crime.

But still, if you are scoring faster you know you have at least erased the deficit. This way, you are taking a big risk, so to speak

We were so much behind that it was immaterial. And time was equally important. Reducing the deficit was important, but I decided time was more important.

Before lunch on the fourth day, you stepped out and hit Daniel Vettori over the infield twice in one over. Was that a release of tension? Because they had bowled a couple good overs leading up to that.

I got to 50 by stepping out and hitting Vettori. I also remember I stepped out and hit him over midwicket when I was on 98. I was getting nervous, and that milestone was distracting me from the main goal. So I wanted to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

When you start out on such an innings, you say, "Okay, let's see. Then you have played five or six hours and you think, "Wow, it's possible." Does that mean more pressure?

Exactly. I thought, "Okay, let's see." After four or five hours, you think, "Look I am set, I can do it, I have done half of it." You get more nervous because it's a possibility, but with me, it made me more determined.

They must have tried to lure you. Attacking fields. Flighted deliveries.

There were times with five fielders around me. There was a lot of temptation, but I was playing completely out of my skin.

Did they try to sledge you?

No they didn't. New Zealand is one team who never sledge.

Did you feel physically tired? Did that affect you at any time?

After I got out, I was physically exhausted. When I was playing, I didn't feel a thing. I was so much into it.

Anxiety in the 90s?

Oh, in the 90s I am usually very anxious. I just wanted to cross that milestone. And also stumps was approaching. I needed to just get it out of the way.

What did Sachin tell you after you reached your hundred?

The best moment was when he hugged me. It is the best moment of my career.

How did you spend the fourth evening?

I was so exhausted after the end of the day's play, I went back, ate and slept. The only thing was the next day.

Could you get sleep?

What happens is, when you are very tired you don't sleep well. I managed to sleep, but I got up very early. The only thought was how I had to bat the whole day.

Did you follow any routines?

I was listening to one song, and just kept listening to it on loop.

Throwdowns, nets?

I don't do throwdowns. Just hit a couple of balls. If I am middling them, it's fine.

Fifth morning. Did something inside you say, "Okay it's easy to hit a quick 50, we are almost there"?

Never. The only thought was that I had to bat as long as I could.

What was your favourite phase of the innings?

I remember I was in that zone. I was batting with Laxman and I didn't utter a word. I never wanted to come out of that zone. I was so much into that concentration. It was so high when Sachin got out on the fifth day and when Laxman batted with me, for one and a half hours I didn't say anything. He said, "Why aren't you speaking?" I said, "I am in that zone, I am fully concentrating on the ball. I don't want to come out."

Was that the best you have felt on a cricket field?

Absolutely. There was only one thing in my mind and that was the ball.

Viru called you the best opener since Gavaskar.

Had anyone else said that I wouldn't have taken it seriously. But coming from him... he must have seen something. It matters. It made me happy.

What was the first thing you did after getting out?

I didn't take off my pads for 45 minutes. I don't know, I was so much into it I just couldn't take off my pads. And after I took the pads off, I was absolutely gone.

How did you celebrate that day?

I was very happy. Laxman came up to me and told me it was the best Test innings he had ever seen. Coming from these greats it makes you very happy.

How do you look back at those three days?

If someone asks me whether I can do that again in my life, it's an absolute no. It just happens. That zone just happens. Anybody would say no.

Really a good interview

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sourav's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Judge players on Test, ODI form, not T20s
    By Kadambari Murali Wade, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
    http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/147146041

July 08--On Wednesday night, Gautam Gambhir was waiting to cheer the Germans in their World Cup semifinal against Spain. On Friday, last season's Test cricketer of the year and India's top scorer at last month's Asia Cup, leaves with the team for Colombo and the start of a long, uninterrupted season for India. Here, he takes time off to talk cricket.

The Asia Cup must've been a relief after the last few months and being out of form? Yes but it's difficult to maintain the momentum I had for over a year and something had to give. I would have liked to have not had a dip in form, but these things happen, happen to any player. It was just unfortunate that it happened during the Tweny20 World Cup.

Your critics went back to an old issue -- your playing against the short-pitched delivery, saying you had been found out by the opposition... It's unfortunate that in India, you tend to be judged on your performance in Twenty20 cricket. It's quite ridiculous. In the T20 World Cup, if someone bowled short, you had no choice but to take them on. In Tests or ODIs, you have time duck, to think, out-think the opposition, play your game. I've always maintained that people should judge form on the basis of performances in Tests and ODIs, not T20s.

On the World T20, where did it all go wrong? Fatigue? I'm not going to make any excuses. We didn't click as a team, it's as simple as that. And though some individuals were picked out to take the slack, that wasn't fair, the loss was our collective responsibility and collective failure. You win together and you lose together. There was no lack of commitment or effort on the part of anyone in the team. I'd also like to point out that more or less the same team that was being called 'divided' and said to be 'full of differences' a couple of months ago, won the Asia Cup. That's cricket.

But the rest, the break from cricket, did help... Yes, definitely. The break was good, very good. Even with the best intent, when you're on the road for months on end, playing game after game in different formats, traveling without a break, it can be mental torture. So the break that some of us got after the World T20 was very important. It really helped me come back refreshed, sharper, hungry for runs. I moved better during the Asia Cup last month, felt better, played better.

It's another long season from now till the World Cup -- Lanka, the tri-series, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa. (Laughs) It's not going to be easy! But that's international cricket for you, so we'll take the breaks where we get them. From now on though, till the World Cup, it's all focus.

You think India can win the World Cup? Honestly, that's a tough one to predict. But we have the strength and the ability. We have tremendous firepower in the batting department and the bowling. We're playing in the subcontinent, at home. So yes, we have what it takes.

What would you say are Dhoni's strengths as skipper? I'm a strong believer in the saying that a captain is only as good as his side. I've been captain of the Daredevils and Delhi and found that if you give your players the confidence that you believe in them, they'll deliver for you. Dhoni, I think, has led the side well, taken decisions that ultimately went in his favour but it's not the captain who wins the games, it's the team.

Back on you, are you planning on just batting or also working on your bowling? I am looking at working on my bowling too. If you're there as a pure batsman, then if you get out cheaply, the game's over for you. But if you can also bowl five-six overs in an ODI, pick up a couple of wickets, help the team, it's good. As a leg-spinner then, you give the team some options and for a skipper, that always helps.

Like Sehwag does... Was it tough not having him around? It did play on my mind, his not being there. We know each others' games and needs so well and it's always great fun batting to open with Sehwag. It also takes time to understand someone else's batting and change your role to adapt to theirs and there's not always that time.

There was a time when criticism upset you, made you insecure. How did this round of criticism feel? Better! One of the things I have learnt in the last couple of years is that people don't really see the big picture, just live in the moment. I had one bad tournament, the T20 World Cup and that made people forget the two years before. Suddenly, they said I couldn't face short-pitched bowling, and conveniently forgot that if I couldn't, I wouldn't have scored international runs over two years. But I've learnt to ignore most of what is said. What matters to me is my team, my team-mates, what they say and think and feel. I give my 100 per cent and they know that.
    "Sehwag is the most destructive modern cricketer, There is no doubt abt it. He is just so destructive. He is totally fearless"-Viv Richards

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast