Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Recollecting old TV serials

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raghuvaran & Ragini (now Mrs.Karthik) rite? I think it came around the 'Ladies hostel" times. The latter on Mondays and the former Wednesdays. Used to look forward to them every week then.
    BTW, who was the other lady role 'tharayil irangum..' ?
    It was Rajalakshmi... tamil/telugu film actress....

Mrs. Karthik - I think was in another serial.. .dont remember the name!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember seeing on tamizh serial long ago on sundays at 10.30 in doordarshan. Venu ARvind was in it. It had a title like

'PARAMPARAI' (not too su re)

I really miss good old DD serials.

AdadE manohar, paramartha guru seedargaL etc were too entertaining.

Thanks to thiru, who reminded us of our DD days

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    Interesting feature about Thats cricket programme by Ravi shastri is that he used to explain nuances of a delivery. I remember Anil Kumble explaining leg spinner, the googly and the top spinner, right from the seam position to the grip. L.Sivaramakrishnan introduced the leg spinner in the programme. It was very informative. We had a hearty laugh when Shastri explained about need of footwork to loft the leg spinning delivery over the infield by advancing forward. The reason was shastri's frustrating efforts to do just the same against the leg spinner of all times Abdul Quadir at sharjah. Every time shastri would leap out of the crease, we used to think that he is gonna smash it, but he would go to the pitch of the ball, promptly defend it and run back to his crease!!!
    Yes, I remember Binny explaining the outswinger and inswinger in the same program. There was an interview with Sandeep Patil too where he mentions his first delivery(debut) was a four off Imran.

Ahhh, to be fair to shastri, he was one of the best allrounders in the world 85-87 stage. I thought he would become a world beater but he overworked on his technique like Manjrekar and became too cautious. Shastri in 85-88 was like Klusener in 1999 - Very positive, attacking, exciting cricketer - right mix of aggression and caution. Ideal captaincy material
    JG, there was this Indore ODI v Pak(21/3/87) where Shastri made 52 hammering Qadir and Imran for multiple sixes. His slide started in 89 - I think Shastri was just emotionally upset as the captaincy never came to him 89 onwards.

Three good reports came out on the Tied Test at Chepauk - Mike Coward in "Cricket Beyond the Bazaar", Allan Border in "Beyond Ten Thousand" and V.Gangadhar in Readers Digest 1988 issue around September.

Abt L.Siva, there is a theory that he fell into drugs. Superb legspin bowler in 85-86 period, esp in Australia.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sujatha's science fictions

When people were getting a bit bored with tV serials which were telecast as "Sponsored Programmes" in Madras DD, the announcement of "En Iniya Iyandhira" created quite a sensation. Whoever had read "En iniya Iyandhira" and "Meendum Jeeno" by Sujatha were genuinely surprised as they thought that these stories cannot be made into a big budget bollywood film, let alone Chennai TV serial. Their suspicion was genuine as Madras doordarshan had a stupid 13 episode cap for sponsored serials in regional language. This at the time when Hindi serials like Buniyaad were allowed to run for 90 weeks maximum. Finally when the serial was launched, it had tremendous viewership for a scifi serial. The serial had the enchanting Sivaranjani in the lead role along with Maniratnam mentored Anand as her pair. Added attraction was the robo dog Jeeno. Though I liked the dog part very much, I could not understand much of the serial as it was the first scifi serial I saw in Thamizh. Scifis to me were only Startrek series. Having seen that quality of special effects and imagination, the thamizh serial paled in technical area. Though the acting was top class, top choice being Chaaru haasan for the "leader" character. The shock of the serial was the scene where sivaranjani finds out that her husband is just a robot (android I learned later watchin terminator). I would love to see this serial rerun or better still made as a movie, preferably by Mani Ratnam or Kamal. Anyways truly a landmark serial made way ahead of it times. A similar magnum opus effort was a historical serial attempted by T.Rajendar. I could not recollect the name of the serial, but it was centred on Kulothunga Sozhan, again had a couple of good actors with good Thamizh diction. If anybody can provide more information on that front, would be helpful. After this serial, there was a rumour that Ponniyin selvan was being made as a serial by Kamal haasan!! Meanwhile, a team silently went about making Kalki's social epic "Alai Oasai" into a serial. I was caught up with my chemistry tuitions and completely missed this serial. However what I heard from my father was that it was not well made. I could guess it as there were rumours that Kalki's "Thyaaga Bhoomi" was also being attempted for small screen but later abandoned. Truly it would be an interesting day , when Kalki's efforts like "Sivagaamiyin sabadham" and "Ponniyin Selvan" were to be made as TV soaps!!
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another novel attempt by sponsored programmes in DD during early nineties was the serial "Swara Raaga Sudha". I believe it was the first proper programme introducing Carnatic music. Each episode will hae three sections, one detailing the raaga , its background, swara varisais, then one famous singer(or an upcoming talent) rendering a keerthanai in that raaga. The third section was on film songs based on that raaga. It was a program that we used to follow intently. Again the fun was shortlived due to episode limitation on these programmes.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont exactly remember the year of telecasting and i even dont remember the story line as i was too young. but i enjoyed watching Udal Porul Anandhi and kolai yudhi kalam and another serial which has a robot dog named Geno i dont remember the serial name...but i enjoyed watching them...

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rami's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oohlala..

That was only mentioned by Jaiganes as "En iniya iyanthira'... I remember the cute little dog well. Actually I dont remember even a bit of the story.. I was very small kid then(4 or 5). I sure remember the small dog, as I watch only for that speaking dog.

I got a toy just like that dog, named it Geno and was playing with it for long hours(It wud sleep near me..) Wish those days come back...

How come everyone forgot "Vanna Kolangal", "Revathy"(which had revathy as revathy), "Nishaganthi", "Kaiyalavu manasu"."Neela Maala" Baby neena.

One more serial by Y.G. Where there are two Y.Gs, one Y.G is a serial killer and other is accused of the murders. Poor fellow will have every evidence against him. Can some one tell the serial name.

From the ones mentioned, I do remember "Rail Payanangal"-'antha veenaikku thriyaatha', "Amlu" - 'Kutti ponnu yaaru sollu,Chutti ponnu yaaru sollu'."Maadhu Cheenu - Marriages made in saloon"

The realization of happiness happens only after experience of pain.

If we desire to blossom like a flower in the garden of life,
    Then we must learn the art of adjusting our life with the thorns!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rami,
    "Antha veenaikku theriyathu" is from "Rail Sneham", not Rail Payanangal.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber narayanan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Street Hawk

Johnny Sokko and Giant Robot

Rayil Sneham

Sujatha's Kolayudhirkaalam (came at an odd time in weekday afternoons)

Kalki's Alai Osai(pre independence setting 52 weeks drama, played on Mondays 7-730pm, title song was by MSV, Madhubala and ARS are the only people I remember in this)

Pagalil Or Iravu (Revathi acts as a blind woman, produced by Telephoto Films, Suresh Menon comes as a convict I guess). Does anyone remember where they suttufied the title song from?

Shalini-Kaka Radhakrishnan acted in one serial around the late 80s. Forgot the name.

Vikatan Televistas 'Anandha Bhavan'(this was really recent 99/2000 i guess, but the story was very realistic)

'Washington Thirumanam' - was the earliest TV serial to show US. I remember Sachu acting in this. Forgot all the other faces. The title theme had a beautiful veena-melam music AFAIK.

'Reporter'- one of the best hindi series that came during that time.

'Tehkikaat'-good short suspense stories. miles ahead of Sun TV's bleddy 'Thadayam'

'Programme for Crime'-came in multiple time slots, lastly remember being featured before Sunday evening padam. One of the German series that featured in DD apart from 'Derrick' and 'Didis Comedy Show' that were really good too. There was a catchy title song to this series too. It was made by 'Transtel-Cologne'

'Bodyline'-covered the infamous Bodyline series in cricket.

'Udal Porul Anandhi'-was one of the pilli-suniyam type series at Sunday 12-1230pm slot. One dialogue i remember is Vinodhini shouting 'Dilipan poondu saptaan' (ennatha poondu saptano po!).

'Thanneer Manidhan'-one of the most disheartening series, which was discontinued. It was several times worser the the previous one.

'Swarabushani' featured temples in Tamilnadu.

There was a series that featured the Dasavatharams in primetime, forgot the name.

'Andha oru Nimisham'-featuring Kaveri('Vaikasi Porandhachu' fame), was the first to talk about AIDS. She finally dies of AIDS through blood transfusion.

'Tholaindhu Ponavargal'-featuring Rajesh,THalaivaasal Vijay and two people I dont remember acting as 4 school friends, finally 2 who were standing in their school photo meet and the other 2 dont turn up for the get-together. It ends like the ones sitting as the 'Tholaindhu Ponavargal'.

'Marma Desam - Ragasiyam'-Was the first in Marma Desam series. I remember it talks about robbery of 'navapashana lingams' (made from nine poisons(?) and have some medicinal value), kept in some 'Bairavar kovil'. I guess Delhi Ganesh, who is a doctor, acts as a lunatic is the one who steals the lingams from the temple. He gets caught by hiding it in his overhead tank AFAI can remember. It starts with reading some paras from 'Ambalakaala Kadikai'. I liked that Vasugi who acted in this series.

'Mel Maadi Gaali'-featured the Vasugi from the previous series and Vivek(probably the earliest popular screen appearance) as lovers. Was a nice comedy series.

'Silandhi Valai' - featured Sarath Babu. dont remember much of it, apart from the title song with 'Silandhi Valai' as the start (and shows a spider web and a man in silhouette).

Last but not the least, the very very very infamous 'Junoon' that ran 4 years(started around the time i finished 8th grade final exam to my 12th board exam and yet never completed). I read somewhere that Cinevista infacted shelved the project. It was one of the first tries in 'thamizhaakam' and would be remembered for punchlines 'Panakkara Naye'(by Sumir Rajvansh), 'Kesava'(by Tata Nagarkar :P) and the ultimate 'Thaaathaaa'(by Keshav Kalsi).

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rami's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Solreenga neenga enaa? Illaya ungalukku nyabagam... ?

No one can forget the "Junoon" Thamizh... Also the tiltle song will go like this..

Kaathal vasa ppattu varume Pidivatham...
    Pagaimai vasa ppattu varume Pidivatham...
    Ezhmai vaasam thavipppor palar...
    Balathaal vasappattu varume Pidivatham...
    Pidivatham...Pidivatham...Pidivatham...Pidivatham. ..

Only at that time, the practise of putting ad breaks in between Programs started. Till then, ads will come only b4 and @ the end of the program..

The realization of happiness happens only after experience of pain.

If we desire to blossom like a flower in the garden of life,
    Then we must learn the art of adjusting our life with the thorns!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast