Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Recollecting old TV serials

Senior Member Diamond Hubber madhu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi RR !

is it Rahini or Rohini (from nizhalgal) ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    madhu: It's Raagini, not rohini (came on 'Bru' coffee ad?)..

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    RR, sorry i do not remember the pongal serial you mentioned.

About Tharayil Irangum Vimaanangal, the original postor might be correct. I do not recall a serial by that name between 1987-91. When Ladies Hostel was on Mondays, Wednesdays had Pratidhwani. LH-Drama-Pratidwani-Silandhi Valai-Kalyaanathukku Kalyanam used to be the weekly line up.
    Ladies Hostel made way to Ambigaiyin Kalyanam on Mondays.

What was the name of wednesday serial featuring Ganesh, Vasant and YG Mahendran?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ARS

Hi!
    Thanks for reminding me of the title of "did's comedy show" It was hilarious! As for ARS he is still acting in TV serials , In JayaTV 's kalki he plays father in law of Kushbu. Cool to know that so many people remember so many serials of DD from the past. The funny drama of Prasanna playing pattabhi thatha (the first scifi serial IMO) was titled "Carry on kutty thatha". Most of the actors of DD had such a good Tamil Diction that they are doing dubbing in Tamil movies. For Example Selvakumar who acted in countless DD serials and plays is today dubbing for Kotta Sreenivasarao in many films. Most famous one being Saami. Interesting also is the fact that Delhi Ganesh himself used to act in DD plays and serials also used to dub for Chiranjeevi. Famous one being 47 naatkal by Balachander. DD never used to hype up these serials, but theya ssumed a publicity of their own (probably due to monopoly). Still the quality was so good because of trained stage actors. The first talk of the town serial was "Nagaiye unakkoru namaskaaram". It was a huge hit among the middle class folks. My mother never missed it. I believe it was written by Marina , a popular stage play write. Another more popular serial was the subtly crafted and acted "Thaayumaanavan" by Balakumaran. It had Cine actor chandrasekhar in lead and he played the role of a mechanic out of job having to run the family perfectly. I have forgotten the name of the lead actress, she too did her role perfectly as a woman who has to go to work to run the family stove burning. Who can forget the beautiful "Kadal purathile" which had the enigmatic and legendary Senthaamarai playing the role of a fisherman. He was class apart in that serial. Another talent wasted by stereotyping stupids of Thamizh Cinema. There was "Vande mataram" by Cho, which had his own inimitable style and an interesting starcast of Viveka fine arts veterans. The role of Barrister Bhaskaradas that he essayed stayed on in the minds of many, though the age factor was a major irritant. The thought of an old looking Cho trying to romance a beautiful J.Lalitha was difficult to digest. Though the living daylights were saved by the barrister sacrificing himself to save her lover the ever youthful Ravi Raghavendar (also machaan of super *) ala Tale of Two cities style. There was one serial which I would remember decades from now. That was the awe inspiring "Aezhu Thalaimurai Ezhuchhi". A chronicle of freedom fighters and the history of struggle for independence. It had an amazing title song "Veera sudhandhiram vaendi nindraar pinnar.." written by none other than Maha kavi Bharathi and sung by his great grandson Rajkumar bharathi. Later on came the "Chithirappavai" acted by koothu - p - pattarai artists and Neela Maala. So in short the acting talent in DD serials and plays that was on display in yesteryears was awesome!!! I am sorry to say that same range of talent is not available to enliven the mini screen today. Even the most popular serials of the day like Annamalai and Chidambara Rahasiyam has mediocre talent on display IMHO.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Regular Hubber Cindy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes.. yes.. got it.. it was pattabhi thatha... the thatha i was referring to a few posts back...

Post Thanks / Like

Kamala Kaamesh and Master Ganesh

Hi
    Two more DD plays worth remembering are "Oru meenin Kanneer" and "Amma ange ganesu inge". Meenin Kanneer had Kamala Kamesh playing the role of a career woman who sacrifices her life for her family ala Sujatha in Aval oru thodar kadhai. It was surprising to see Kamala kaamesh the typical underfed mother in Tamil movies taking on such a young and bold role. Another interesting play was "Amma ange ganesu inge", a tale of mother and son separated due to tough economic situations. The master ganesh who played the role of the kid is the one currently playing lead in the Sun TV top ten programme. He was involved in Venniraadai moorthy's Sirippo sirippu programme in Sun TV sunday mornings. Another interesting play was from Kovai Anuradha's Abhinaya creations. The play involves a lady with acerbetic tongue but golden heart. how the lady of the house tackles her daughter in law (played by Sumangali) and later on passes on the baton to the latter is the story. Kovai Anuradha is a lanky dark guy with an amazing sense of humour. He later on moved to Sun TV with a lot of serials where sachu is a regular. Right now aadugiraan kannan is being handled by Abhinaya creations, though the part played by Kovai anuradha is not known. Sundays 10 o clock slot was alays reserved for "sunil gavaskar presents" amazing footage of India' successful campaigns in England. They were some TV programmes to wait for. In fact Sunday was unofficial cricket day for all of our friends. We used to assemble in one of our friendsh house which used to be official Bat and cricket kit storage. We watched the gavaskar programme and with the zeal of having watched our heroes in action would cycle our way to a ground some 6 kms away to play day long cricket. Those were some days!!!
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    JG,
    Noor aayusu to you - if only to recount those stories!

Yep how can we forgot Thaayumaanvan on Mondays in either March or July 1991! Chandrasekhar's wife played an excellent part - Thiru, please tell us her name! Thaayumanavan was probably the last serial I watched before saying goodbye to tamil television.

The fisherman serial was again Mondays. It was Kadal Purathil and not Kadal Purathile. Excellent rustic tale that captured the distinct dialect of South Tamil Nadu. This was Mar-May 1991.

There was another brief serial we missed - Guide Gayathri in 1988. It had a stupid ending with Gayathri marrying a psycho(at least to me! )

Ah, Hindi DD is another story which will take another time surely. Sunil Gavaskar presents had two runs - one in Oct 1986 and other in May-July 1988. One for tests and other for ODIs. The first cricket related serial was Ravi Shastri's That's Cricket! followed by SMG presents. Some of the matches we were lucky to watch are
    1) 1986 cycle

1. India v England Oval 1971 - Chandra 6/38
    2. India v Australia Melbourne 1981 - Viswanath 114 and late-cutting a Lillee yorker for four, Kapil 5-28
    3. India v Pakistan Karachi 1978-79 - Imran smashing Bedi for 2 sixes
    4. India v Australia 1977-78 - India 445 chasing 493 in the 4th innings - Kim Hughes hitting Bedi for a six and bowled next ball.
    5. Australia v England Melbourne 1975 - Randall 174
    6. India v Australia Adelaide 1981 - Sandeep Patil 174* after hit on the face by a Pascoe bouncer

The 1988 cycle featured ODI's and few of them had India.

What about Srikkanth's Golden Moments of Indian Cricket on Raj TV? We used to laugh at home that while Srikkanth's international average is 28 or 29, his RajTV average was 49.5 !

Post Thanks / Like
    JG,
    I remembered the Amma-Ganesu drama but did not remember the exact name. Are you saying that Ganesu is the same Vijayakumar who presents the Lion Dates Top 10 movies?? Ganesu's father singing happy birthday in the drama was moving.

There was a hilarious interview of Kovai Anuradha with Senthil on Nov 4 1991 - Diwali. That morning we had an interview with Ilaiyaraja that ended with the Kanmani Anbodu song. Ilaiyaraja pointed out Kanmaniye Kaadhal Enbadhu when asked if Mannil Indha Kaadhal was his first breathless song.

The Senthil interview began with Vazhaipazham joke and ended with the Paandi Naatu Thangam joke where Senthil is mistaken for a pig and shot

In Chithirappavai, wasnt it Vinu Chakravarthy who acted as Manickam(Annamalai's brother)? Does anybody know who plays Annamalai and his father? Anandhi character was played by Vaishnavi. Thiru, can you name any movies acted in by Vaishnavi?

The Bomma College dialogue was funny.

Senior Member Regular Hubber Cindy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    i remember a "karippu manigal"... the title song was melodious

Post Thanks / Like
    No HHW, Ganesu is the guy who acts in the comedy programme that comes along SUN TV top ten songs which was earlier called "Philips top 10". He also acted in "Pudhu pudhu arthangal" as Janagaraj's sidekick and in "Nee Paadhi Naan Paadhi" too. Interesting feature about Thats cricket programme by Ravi shastri is that he used to explain nuances of a delivery. I remember Anil Kumble explaining leg spinner, the googly and the top spinner, right from the seam position to the grip. L.Sivaramakrishnan introduced the leg spinner in the programme. It was very informative. We had a hearty laugh when Shastri explained about need of footwork to loft the leg spinning delivery over the infield by advancing forward. The reason was shastri's frustrating efforts to do just the same against the leg spinner of all times Abdul Quadir at sharjah. Every time shastri would leap out of the crease, we used to think that he is gonna smash it, but he would go to the pitch of the ball, promptly defend it and run back to his crease!!!
    Getting back to Actresses in TV plays and serials, the performer award must definitely go to M.Bhanumathi, who would sincerely play out her part inspite of the most boring of settings and insipid dialogues. Among leading men, the choice would alway be Rajasekhar, always the smart one with a very clear voice. Happy to note that off late he is getting some movie offers. He acted as Vikram's dad in Dhil and as Meera Jasmine's dad in Ayudha Ezhuthu. On the veterans front, always it was a choice between Kambar Jayaraman for his "Kavichakravarthy Kambar" (Amazing portrayal of rise and fall of a great poet) and T.K.S.Chandran, seen as a film producer who tries to seduce Revathy in 'Marubadiyum". Kambar Jayaraman it is to whom I wold vote for. Other memorable performances were by "Heron" Raamaswamy who played the thundering Thirumalai Nayakkar!! I loved the serial so much for its flowing dialogues and style of heron raamaswamy. Particularly two dialogues, one "Idhu Thirumalai Sowrinayanu Ayyanugaarvin aanai!", which I used to say to my mom that I want potato fry(urulai izhangu kari) that night and the cool "Akkamma enn pakkam vaa". It did not register to my mind how old that akkamma looked like, but the way dialogues were rendered and the overall acting was unbelievable. I would have to post separately , to describe "Chanakya Sabadham" and its effects!! This play by R.S.Manohar was in one word spectacular. The dialogues again were flowing, powerful and rendered with immaculate diction. The only actor from that powerful play, who is still seen around the screen is one M.S.Vijaya (or is it M.R.Vijaya) who played the role of daughter of Greek Ambassador Magasthanes. She plays the role of the mother of Devipriya in Roja, struggling hard to cope with atrocities of "Pasi" Sathya in that serial. The unforgettable dialogue from Chanakya sabadham is " Vijaya dhasami Vizhaa, Nagarula, Makkal tharum parisu-p -porutkal" by Raatchasan. It was a play that I have not seen in stage. I regret not having seen it live till date.
    - Gore Vidal

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast