Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recollecting old TV serials

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    JG, T
    you have brought to mind a number of old memories. Firstly T, I am not sure whether you want the opening part of Rail Sneham or the second half. I know the first half but since the second half happened in the summer of 1990, I missed the last few episodes due to powercuts
    Same reason I missed out the ending of Galatta Kudumbam in 1989.
    JG,
    Who is ARS? Can you throw more info on when that Laxmi/ARS serial came up? which day?
    Are you referring to Telefun when you mentioned the german serial? Telefan was a production of Transtel television and used to be relayed on Thursdays and Saturdays 7 PM in 1985-86.
    The other serial you mentioned is of course Didi's Comedy Show(The Nonstop Nonsense) which was relayed in Apr-Jun 1986 Saturdays 330. Though I watched all of it, I dont recollect the incidents you mentioned. Probably too small to understand. There was one episode where the guy is a goalkeeper and manages to catch shots through luck. Finally he takes a goalie kick and his long ranger finds the opposite net!
    Here is Crazy had a superb run on Friday 730 in early 1986.

Does anyone remember Vadivel Vaathiyaar(1991)? There is a guy who leads a school strike when Mr.Vadivel, a Gandhian, is fired from the school. I think he is the same guy who appears in Bhagyaraj's movie Sundarakaandham(When Bhagya enters his first class and checks the chair and table, one guy gets up and asks "Sir, enna Sir first day-ve ippadi sandhega padreenga?") Both the serial and movie were made at the same phase since during one scene of the movie, you find the blackboard behind Bhagya showing the date as 15-10-1991.

Anyone remembers Delhi Ganesh's Gandhi Vesham drama, a regular on Gandhi Jayanthi?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didi was hilarious stuff. Thanks for reminding.
    walrus: do you recall the Pongal regular musical drama with 'shanmuga sundari' as the villi maamiyaar (iduppa nelichukittu nadakkara style) and Master Sridhar (height-la Mister aagave illai ) as her son? I wonder if it's still being telecast

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading this thread I am being flooded by memories.What fun it was those days,i used to eagarly wait for Saturdays&Sundays to see Didi's comedy show,Vikram Aur Betal,He-Man,Vanna Kolangal etc.Some guys here have a wonderful memory remembering Stories of serials,Songs etc.
    hehehewalrus,that "Salim,Mohammad Salim"was too much,I had completely forgotten that.

Also there was a serial with two black kids with bunk beds,what was that

Senior Member Regular Hubber Cindy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a serial "Penn" with all the lead actresses playing a role. each day was a different story of a Penn with different back ground...

Suhasini was country bride.. and got married to a groom as an accident as the real bride eloped.. and she was taken to the busy city of chennai... the next day the groom asks the embarassed bride if she had anything to ask...and she after lot of hesitation..asks.."unga perenna?"

Shobana did a role of sales girl in an antique shop... Revathi as a puthumai penn... etc etc..

Senior Member Regular Hubber Cindy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    there was another comedy serial about a patti and thatha..the show's name is with the thatha's name i believe... that was a hilarious one... dont remember both thatha and patti's name.. anyone there?

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah... nostalgia...

Anybody remembers 'tharaiyil irangum vimanangal'? this is around 1985.... and I remember many more... but dont remember the titles!!

To go back further... around 1978-1979... - DD Chennai used to have english sitcoms on Thursday (or was it friday) evenings... I remember 'I love lucy', 'Here is Lucy' and 'The Goodies'. Goodies used to my favorite...

- On Tuesday evenings at 7:30 - they used to have tamil drama... and they used to be ok. Some of them historical, esp. RS Manohar were really good. This along with Friday evening oliyum oliyum and tamil film on Sundays were eagerly anticipated.

Rajesh

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaiganesh,
    The Cossacks serial came after World of Sport in Mar-April 1988. This was preceded by the cartoon You Just Wait(story of a rabbit and a jackal). Both serials were Russian. DD has a history of 15minute cartoons after World of Sports - Superman following in 1992.

RR, sorry cannot recall the Pongal drama. Can you give the story?
    There was 2 Tuesday 740 dramas that were hilarious: One featured a couple honeymooning in Ooty and staying in a bungalow. To their dismay, they hear an announcement over radio that a Rowdy by name Jambu is at large in the same area. They panic and are scared to leave the place. Just then a weird guy comes to stay in the same guest house and claims to be Panchu Maama, a relation of the guy. Panchu often goes out on nocturnal outings and the couple are really at the edge of their wits. Finally they confront Panchu with a cop telling him to admit he was the elusive Jambu. Panchu in return handcuffs the cop as he identifies him to be Jambu and reveals his real identity as a CBI officer! Who says only tamil films have funny climaxes?

There was another funny drama featuring Pattaabhi and Thottaadhri, where Pattaabhi's fiancee Brindha has a nervous attack or something. They call a funny doctor who has a hilarious way of walking - in fact each step of his is a hop! He is very funny when he hops while diagnosing the patient - "Brindhaa....?*hop* eppadi irukke? *hop* ) After 2 episodes the drama ends with Pattaabhi waking up and shows the whole 2 episodes were a dream

Cinefan, any idea what the real name of Mohammed Salim is? Sad he didnt take to acting in films. Every thursday morning, each and every fellow in my school used to announce his name in Salim's style

2 black kids with bunk beds - u referring to an english serial?

Cindy, Penn was directed by Suhashini and featured one actress every issue. It came in 1991 by which time, I was out of active TV watching. I only remember the first episode where Geetha(??) returns home as her husband has another woman..the serial ends with her father unsuccessfully visiting her errant husband, returns home and on a poignant note, tells Geetha, "Appa irukken ma, appa irukken..." and melts into tears.

The Paatti Thatha drama featured Usillamani as the producer of some movie, it was in Apr-May of 1990. Usillamani owns some cotton farm which he sells to finance someone's movie.

Vikram Aur Vetal scared the hell out of me - i would watch only the title song. Even if I succeeded in getting my family to switch off the TV, the eerie laughter coming from our neighbor's TV used to freak me! This was generally preceded by Dada Dadi Ki Kahaani - I used to wonder why serials for kids had so many ghostly and scary characters Anyway Arun Govil as Vikramaditya got a nice break for Ramayan which started later that year. Few years later, it was a Ram-Ravan fight in elections as Govil fought Arvind Trivedi(Ravan) as political candidates.

But the best childrens serials of all time were Ek Do Teen Char and even better, Indradhanush in May 1989. Indradhanush was a delightful one with Appu and his magical computer - taking his brother via Time Machine to 1940's. The episode where Appu's brother finds himself in '40s and gets an entire cartload of groundnuts for 2 rupees was funny.

He Man came as successor to Mickey and Donald. We were dismayed when M&D went off after 2 years. But He Man(1987-88) caught on admirably. The sound effects were superb. We had great fun mimicking Cringer growling and waving its paw when He-Man says "By the power of grayskull"
    http://www.he-man.org/cartoon/episod....php?brandID=1

He-Man was followed by Danger Bay.

Post Thanks / Like
    walrus: Story is typical. The pannayaar's son loves a poor girl, but 'shanmuga sundari' (you remember her rite? poor man's gandhimadhi.. also acts in Metti oli.) raises 'prestige' issues and refuses. After some senti scenes, finally the rich hero's family gets into some major trouble and the poor girl saves them. Appuram, ellaam subham. It's a musical drama, that culminates with everyone celebrating pongal singing, singing and singing..

Senior Member Senior Hubber Thiru's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do rememeber I love lucy show..

Coming to think of good serials,
    there was another serial called 'Thaagam' which has a title song
    uyir meedhu thaagam uruvaagum neram
    edhu vandha podhum ...
    It was about a guy who is sentenced to death, becoming close to the warden's daughter... Infact the karagattakaran vaazhaipazha joke was copied from this serial...
    DD2 had another good serial about AIDS featuring Kambar jayaraman and kaveri... Was it called Karippu manigal?? i dont remember it correctly..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajes002
    Ah... nostalgia...

Anybody remembers 'tharaiyil irangum vimanangal'? this is around 1985.... and I remember many more... but dont remember the titles!!
    Raghuvaran & Ragini (now Mrs.Karthik) rite? I think it came around the 'Ladies hostel" times. The latter on Mondays and the former Wednesdays. Used to look forward to them every week then.
    BTW, who was the other lady role 'tharayil irangum..' ?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast