Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Raaja of Erotica

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    thumburu,

A lovely writeup on 'ennullil engo'. You have described the music very aptly and this is one song which is very difficult to express in words and everything you say is inch perfect. A lovely song sung well by Vani Jeyaram.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    naarayanan,

K Vishwanath and Illayaraja combination was pure magic. Given that KV gives good situations and loves good lyrics, Raja would also ensure he got the very best. Wish there were more directors like KV who loved their language. Not in the militant way but in a very literary way. Difficult to find that nowadays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65
    naarayanan,

K Vishwanath and Illayaraja combination was pure magic
    . Given that KV gives good situations and loves good lyrics, Raja would also ensure he got the very best. Wish there were more directors like KV who loved their language. Not in the militant way but in a very literary way. Difficult to find that nowadays.
    therefore I eagerly await "THYAGAYYA" from this combo!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    thumburu,
    "Enulli Engo" one of my all time favorites. Thanks for writing about this song.
    Raaja talks about this song in the Italy CD and he sings a hindi song by SDB, I guess; expressing the feeling, longing.
    When I started identifying the instruments used in this song, array goes like guitar, solo violin, group violins, flute, santoor and what not?. Whenever, I hear the call-response arrangement in the second interlude. I will forget mei, poi and everything including the raaja's genius. To me, the tabla section is very much like MSVish, especially the rolls at the end of VJ's alapanai. Again, VJ brought the feeling in me that only she could have brought out the emotion like this. Normally, when the artists perform at the highest level, they bring this feeling into the listener.

Digression:

For me, there are few Raaja songs in which the tabla playing style remained me of MSV like 'Thiru therial varum silayo', 'Udhayageetham paduvan".

End digression

I heard, from one of the internet radio stations, about Meendum Meendum vaa and Manasu mayangum (Narayanan, nice writeup) and how this thalam pattern "Thakita Thakka Dhimi" is used. Nice start. Right. When I was about to think that mmm. Raaja saves this pattern for the "Erotica Longing", bang... I heard "Kannae naan Annan alla unnai eendra annai nane (SPB)' and 'Noorandum kalangal nee vazha veedum (KSC)' with the same pattern to express motherly love. Big time lesson..... how silly of me...after keep hearing Raaja’s songs for years now…with my limited knowledge I tried to predict Raaja's pattern..I will not do it again though.

My mind goes "Ganagai Vellam Sangukullae Adangi vidathu..again…one of my all time favorites by great combo MSV/SJ and of course..KD.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    venus,

Nice observations. The Hindi song that Raja sings about longing is the Shankar Jaikishan song, 'yeh pyar ki tanhahiyan'.

You observations about the patterns are spot on. It truly shows what Raja believes in. The unity of music. A misra chapu or kanda gathi can express love or longing or philosophy or anger or what not It is indeed very difficult to predict what sort of ragam / thalam will be used for which emotion. In other words, every sort of ragam / talam combination is used for every occasion. This will be a PhD thesis by itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    irir123,

Is Thyagayya by KV? Is he still making movies? I am not sure how much scope will be in such a movie for Raja's music given that they have to play the krithis of Tyagaraja. Lets wait and see.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Punnaimaran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. வாட வாட்டுது - சக்களத்தி
    2. ரொம்ப நாளாக - என்னடி மீனாட்சி
    3. ஒரு நாள் உன்னோடு - சிட்டுக்குருவி
    4. நினைத்தால் இனிக்கும் - கல்யாணராமன்
    5. நிலவு நேரம் - அன்னை ஓர் ஆலயம்
    6. செவ்வரளி தோட்டத்துல - பகவதிபுரம் ரயில்வேகேட்
    7. வெண்ணிலவில் - அதிரடிப்படை
    8. தண்ணி கொஞ்சம் - ஜூலி கணபதி
    இந்தக் காட்டில் எந்த மூங்கில் இசைக்க வல்லது என்று மயங்கிய பொழுது
    இறைவன் தேர்ந்தெடுத்தப் புல்லாங்குழல் தான் நம் இசைஞானி !!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    irir123,

Is Thyagayya by KV? Is he still making movies? I am not sure how much scope will be in such a movie for Raja's music given that they have to play the krithis of Tyagaraja. Lets wait and see.
    I think Thyagayya is by Singeetham
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    irir123,

I think Thyagayya is by Singeetham
    NallA thread choose pandrAngaiyyA idhai discuss paNNa

Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast