Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Raaja of Erotica

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raaja of Erotica

Let's indulge in the pleasure of merely talking about and exchanging views on a category that Raaja owns - Erotica. Of course, this is an umbrella thread for discussing the sub-themes : Kuthu/Item/TASMAC/Stoner genres

1. Let me start with an unlikely place to find an item song: Sri Raghavendra - "Unakkum Enakkum"

Black Eyed Peas didn't let the original down with their remix but of course, the original is magic with just tabla for percussion (superb rhythm). What a mean bass line right throughout the song.
    One differentiator in Raaja's item songs is the fidelity and melody of the tune - the briga in "Killi paarthaal" and "aao aao" (aavo aavo ) at the start of the charanams is a wonderful case in point.
    Another Raaja trademark in the song is how SJ and MV fill the first line of the pallavi with "Unakkum Enakkum Anandham-dham vidiya vidiya sondham". Its as though they can't resist humming the bass line as they song along

2. "Nethu Raathiri" - Sakalakalaa Vallavan
    How does this man conceive this?! A naughty raunchy number in Vakulabharanam, with the works.
    The violin bit in the prelude is just a perfect symbolism of his audacity and mark of irreverence and genius. (He will continue this spirit with Shanmugapriya later and how)
    And as one will see as a pattern in Raaja's songs in this category, he just lets the bass lines loose.
    [To my paamara ears, Vakulabharanam sounds similar to Subha Pantuvarali. Are they similar in terms of swara sequence?]

3. "Ponmeni" - Moondram Pirai
    SJ amma cements her place as the queen of erotica in TFM
    Here, as in many other Raaja songs, the bass doesn't merely support the tune/song/rhythm, it leads along with SJ, right from the very first note. And what a rousing rhythm throughout the song....
    The unflinching focus on the strength of the melody (simple as it may be in cases like these), is highlighted in the charanams.
    Though the flute carries both the interludes beautifully, the second interlude is a treat dished out by the interplay of the flute, bass/acoustic guitars, not to mention the flanger effects

4. "Kaadhal Kasakkudhayya" - Aan Paavam
    This is an absolute classic. Talk about subversion, irreverence, genius - this song has it all (Junior attempted something in that darrty-even-by-this-thread's-standards "Naatu sarakku nachunnu dhaan irukku from Thulluvadho Ilamai). And anyone with reservations about Raaja's singing should definitely listen to this number.
    "Indha kaala ilaignar seyyum kaadhalukku, Ilaiyaraaja endhan paattirukku"
    I'd recently posted a video of Anna University students performing a medley of this song and "Maraindhirundhe paaarkum marumam enna". The fun they have while performing this is infectious

5. "Adiye Manam" - Neengal Kettavai
    Everything. The quintessential bible, geethai, quran of kuthu

Looking forward to your karuthu....
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    To my paamara ears
    Understatement of the year.

Nice description by the way. Except for the bit on Vakulabharanam, Subha Pantuvarali. I don't know all that, so didn't get it.
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is gonna be a perma thread.
    The list you have mentioned is not strictly erotica.. There are those 'Om Namahas' and 'Meendum meendum vaas' waiting to thump this list down and make it longer and ever longer.
    Beyond the mukkals and munagals and exaggerated voice acting that needs to accompany any Silk Smitha or Jayamalini number, Raja goes bonkers with his instrumentation. It gets zanny, splits and mixes genres and oozes a kind of sensuality that is possible when there is a biologically active man and woman in the appropriate mood.
    Classic example #1: Vaazha vaikkum kaadhalukku J - the prelude will tell even an alien with just ears what is abt to follow.
    Classic eg.,#2: Sivaraathiri - thanks to the days when all the saffron activists were not active - a word sivarathiri was let off - not anymore folks..

Classic Example #3 - the most classy of them all - use chaste carnatic for a very dicey situation in a bedroom - Thalayai kuniyum thaamaraye from Oru Odai nadhiyaagiradhu - Reethigowlai finds its ultimate use in bedroom except for the female voice everything in this song is meant for one single purpose.

Classic Example #4 - from the same movie - Thendral ennai muththamittadhu - very delicate loaded melody sung by krishnachandar - the use of carnatic arrangements mixed with rockish elements in the right doses strangely does the trick - This stuff should be patented for its valuable medicinal use.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maasi maasam aalana ponnu

Post Thanks / Like
    Adi Raak Kozhi Koovum Neram from Magaraasan

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ada Machamulla from Chinna Veedu...amazing song.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Karthik,

This makes me to go listen to a couple of songs. To get in the mood. to get in the mood to post (What were you thinking?!) Will do that soon. Have a couple of songs in mind which I need to listen to again once before posting.

I don't think there is any link between Vakulabaranam and Subhapanthuvarali. Vakulabaranam sounds very close to Mayamalavagowla. In fact to my ears, it almost sounds the same (I generally can't make out Vakulabaranam and go in the route of 'it sounds like MMG but isn't, so must be VB.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    This is gonna be a perma thread.
    The list you have mentioned is not strictly erotica..

Wanted this to be an Erotica thread but then wanted to bring the other payaluga also in this classification. I have not even scrateched the surface.
    Om Namaha, Meendum Meendum, Vazhavaikkum Kaadhalukku - wonderful choices

Beyond the mukkals and munagals and exaggerated voice acting that needs to accompany any Silk Smitha or Jayamalini number, Raja goes bonkers with his instrumentation. It gets zanny, splits and mixes genres and oozes a kind of sensuality that is possible when there is a biologically active man and woman in the appropriate mood.

This stuff should be patented for its valuable medicinal use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajithfederer
    What a song. Lovely chords and the Sudhadhanyasi carries the sensuality beautifully. One sagaa had posted a voiceless version of this song, which accentuates the superb counter offered by the violin in the beginning and end of the song

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually i somehow read as what a girl

The song is fantastic. KJY and the female singer were fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajithfederer
    What a song.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast