2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! Thanks

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why Jayawardane is not a great batsman

Away average of 43.2. ivanlAm kAl amutharadhOda niruthikkaNum. karuthu("India didnt play like #1") solla kUdadhu

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Riyazz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi friends tell ur india preferable squad for 2011 wc my squad is 1.viru 2. Sachin 3. Raina 4.virat kohli 5.yuvaraj 6.msd 7.gauti 8.yusuf pathan 9.praveen 10. Zaheer 11.harbajan 12. Nehra 13. Ojha /ashwin 14.irfan pathan 15.rohit sharma tell your views
    !!!!!!! Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives. !!!!!!!!

Senior Member Senior Hubber Movie Cop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry folks, missed out the earlier conversations in this thread.

Based on the cricketers I've seen playing on TV, the following would be my team selection. Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Dravid and Kapil Dev pick themselves automatically.

Openers: Gavaskar, Sehwag. (Reserve: Siddhu)
    One Down: Dravid (Reserve: Jimmy Amarnath)
    Middle Order (4,5,6): Sachin, Vishy, Laxman. If we play 5 bowlers then Kapil can bat at 6 and would have to "reluctantly" drop Vishy.
    #7 - Kapil Dev (if we play only 4 bowlers)
    WK - Kirmani (Reserve: Kiran More)
    Fast Bowlers: Srinath (Reserve: Zaheer Khan)
    Spinners: Prasanna, Bedi, Kumble

So, the above gives my 16 member squad: Gavaskar, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar (VC), Laxman, Kapil Dev (C), Kirmani, Srinath, Zaheer Khan, Bedi, Prasanna, Kumble, Vishy, Amarnath, Siddhu, More.

My playing XI will vary depending on the country/pitch conditions we play.

Playing XI* (Sub continent/WI): Gavaskar, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Kapil Dev, Kirmani, Kumble, Srinath, Bedi, Prasanna.

* Can play just 5 batsmen (since our batsmen are typically good at home conditions) and play 3 spinners following Wadekar chatterjee.

Playing XI* (Aus/SA): Gavaskar, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Vishy, Laxman, Kapil Dev, Kirmani, Kumble, Srinath, Zaheer.

* Need to beef up the batting with an extra batsman at the expense of a spinner and also replace another spinner with Zaheer

Playing XI* (Eng/Nzl): Gavaskar, Sehwag, Amarnath, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Kapil Dev, Kirmani, Zaheer, Bedi, Prasanna.

* Replaced Vishy with Jimmy since Amarnath can provide extra medium pace/swing bowling option in England/Nzl and bring back another spinner at the expense of Srinath.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    Vishy - my choice, for my money. Havent seen him much but romantic tales of 70's and 80's writers on the beauty of his batting is what I grew up on so tough to shed that legacy in my mind.

Once you choose Vishy, I am in a dilemma whether to go for Lax or Amarnath/Ganguly - I am discounting Vengsarkar for Lax has done far more in a wider range of conditions. Both Amarnath and Ganguly add medium pace(rather, "slow fast", as in "Amarnath is a slow fast bowler") options. Lax is again a stylist in Vishy mould. Despite all that, I am inclined to go with Lax.
    Can't agree with you more on this.

Laxman, anyday over Vengsarkar & Ganguly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    Why Jayawardane is not a great batsman

Away average of 43.2. ivanlAm kAl amutharadhOda niruthikkaNum. karuthu("India didnt play like #1") solla kUdadhu
    Seyavaradhan, Samaraveeran etc. ellam Siri Langa-vula thein pattaiyE kelapirikaaingE! Flat track bullies.

Gavaskar times - 1970's, 1980's (arguably the best era of fast bowling ever in Test cricket history)-le vilayaadirundhaainge na evainge dappA dAnce aadirikkum!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber GP's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smith set to quit T20 captaincy - reports

Cricinfo staff

August 17, 2010

Graeme Smith talks to the press after a rain-interrupted practice session, Queen's Park Oval, Trinidad, June 9, 2010

Graeme Smith has called a press conference for Wednesday morning to outline his future, with Reuters suggesting he will stand down as South Africa's Twenty20 captain.

South Africa were eliminated in the Super Eights stage of this year's World Twenty20 in the Caribbean and the next tournament is not until 2012 in Sri Lanka, which would give South Africa time to rebuild under a new captain.

Smith, who will announce his plans at 11am (0900GMT), has captained his country in all formats since 2003, when he was just 22. He has developed into a strong leader and led the Test side to No. 1 in the world rankings during a run that culminated in a maiden series victory in Australia. He has spoken in the past about the demands of leading the team in all formats and that Test cricket and a World Cup title remain his top ambitions.

There are a few options to replace Smith as Twenty20 captain but the queue is probably headed by Johan Botha, who has captained the side in Smith's absence, or AB de Villiers.

South African cricket underwent major changes earlier this year when Mickey Arthur resigned as coach following the 1-1 series draw with England, and Mike Procter was fired as convenor of selectors along with the entire committee.
    THALA THALAPATHY BRIGADE

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ricky has 45+ avg against all countries. If he does well later this year, that can go up to 50+

Dhoni. Strauss and co., FULL AlERT!!!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ponting? Against India in India? I don't think Dhoni would lose sleep over that prospect.

Strauss, yes. Ponting can be difficult to dislodge in his home turf.