Page 307 of 376 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 3758

Thread: World Cricket II

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by david hopps, a writer who migrated from guardian to cricinfo recently, the inside story being the insufferable ways of Mike Selvey in guardian and his typical English araajagam and class-based attitude

Whatever you do, Mr Starc keep your signature inside the box and do not use a red pen © Getty Images
    Enlarg
    There is something depressingly small-minded about the decision of the UK Border Agency to send Mitchell Starc back to Australia because his visa forms were not filled out correctly.
    In one inflexible decision, the UK announced to the world that when it comes to the application of the law above the application of common sense it is still capable of proving itself a world leader in the field.

- thiruvaasagam!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    More from Hoppsyy:

He is being overly generous. Starc is an international sportsman and as such is coming to England to increase the happiness of the nation, although if this rain continues admittedly not by much. He is not a drug trafficker, an illegal immigrant or somebody trying it on. There are times when a spot of courtesy does not go amiss. There are ways in which these issues can be resolved and flying somebody around the world to fill in a form does not strike you as the best of them.
    Britain's Olympians need not worry. On the evidence of Mitchell Starc, the UK Border Agency can be relied upon to be full of nationalistic zeal. All these assumptions of a Fast Track may prove to be untrue. The first Russian weightlifter to be spied walking towards the border will be sent back to Moscow to fill in another form in no time.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber wizzy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^Telegraph is keeping mum on this issue..before P_R takes charge..have any Protea players been sent back on visa issues

something to chew on from Procter interview..known ching chan to ECB for peeps who don't know.

As an ICC match referee you were placed in some very difficult situations.

I was, and in the end it cost me. I had an agreement that I was going to be a match referee at the IPL but that was withdrawn. I always had a great relationship with India, but after the Harbhajan Singh incident [Procter banned Harbhajan for three matches - a ban and verdict that were subsequently overturned - for allegedly making racist comments to Australian Andrew Symonds] I've had huge problems in the country.

The situation at The Oval in 2006 [where Pakistan refused to resume after tea, when the umpire, Darrell Hair, accused them of ball-tampering] was difficult. The ICC has changed now - there's no way a match referee would be expected to decide on their own what should happen in a situation like that - a situation which would decide whether a Test could continue or not.

But it was the Harbhajan Singh incident that really did for me. I've replayed that episode quite a lot in my mind. I've thought about what else I could have done. All I can say is this: I would do all the same things again.

As I say, I had a signed contract with the IPL. But one or two board members didn't want me and that was that. It's been a very costly incident.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/563437.html
    Gaana Kalaadhara Gandharva Gaana Lola Kaliyuga Gaana Thilaga
    Nadha Brahma Kochchappa Brother Seshappa

Post Thanks / Like

ICC ponders lbw change for switch hits

About freaking time.

The ICC is to review the playing condition regarding lbw decisions in international cricket in response to the emergence of the switch hit.

ESPNcricinfo understands that the ICC cricket committee, a group that includes Ian Bishop, Kumar Sangakkara and Mark Taylor, is to consider amending the playing condition whereby a batsman attempting to play the shot cannot be given out lbw if the ball has pitched outside the leg stump.

The news, first mentioned in passing in The Guardian, will mean that any right-handed batsman who switches his stance or grip to effectively play as a left-hander, will be able to be given out even if the ball had pitched outside the leg stump and vice-versa. Bowlers will also be allowed more leeway as regards leg side wides in limited-overs cricket. The cricket committee meets in Dubai later this month.

While any recommendations cannot come into force until they are ratified by the ICC board and the ICC's chief executives' committee, it is unlikely that the cricket committee's proposals would be ignored. The decision will not affect the laws of the game, which are governed by the MCC, leading to the possibility that playing conditions in first-class cricket around the world will differ from playing conditions in the international game. It is up to each national board to determine whether to adopt the ICC's playing conditions in their domestic cricket. While some boards - including those in Sri Lanka and South Africa - tend to default to the ICC stance, others - such as the ECB - are more independent minded. At present the major differences between ICC playing regulations and MCC laws concern the rules regarding the degree of flexion bowlers are allowed, the use of runners and decisions relating to the DRS.

The MCC is also considering the repercussions of the more regular use of the switch hit stroke. Two members of the MCC's laws subcommittee - Dave Richardson and John Stephenson - also sit on the ICC Cricket Committee.

The switch hit first came to prominence in 2008 when Kevin Pietersen played it in an ODI against New Zealand in Durham. The same batsman was involved when matters came to a head in a Test in Sri Lanka recently when Tillakaratne Dilshan pulled out of his delivery stride on several occasions as Pietersen shaped to play the shot and the stand-off threatened to reach stalemate. The umpires, Asad Rauf and Bruce Oxenford, warned Pietersen for time-wasting, but the ICC is now looking for a more permanent solution.

The ICC will be keen not to encourage negative bowling, however. The shot is sometimes played, even at Test level, to counter a leg stump line from right-hand bowlers coming round the wicket and many feel that the switch hit, a shot requiring high skill levels and remarkable reflexes, has been an entertaining addition to the game. It may also be that the ICC asks for some analysis as regards the risk-reward ratio of the shot and whether its usage really does disadvantage bowlers.

Any amendment to the playing conditions is likely to prove torturously difficult to phrase. For a start, it could prove tough to define exactly what constitutes a switch hit - whether it involves a change of stance, a change of grip and when they take place. It is worth noting that the ICC, reacting to David Warner's decision to remain in his normal left-handed stance but with a right-handed grip, issued a directive to umpires in February 2010 that stated such a tactic should be tolerated as long as it did not change once the bowler had begun their run up. As things stand the laws do not define what it means to bat left- or right-handed.

Fraser Stewart, MCC's Laws Manager, recently raised an interesting quandary. "What would happen," Stewart asked, "if a batsman stood chest on to the bowler? If may sound a ludicrous suggestion now, but we have a generation of young cricketers growing up playing the switch hit and prepared to experiment with their stance and their grip. It may well happen."
    enna logic edhu..how many int. bats have a chest-on stance

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave Richardson recommended as chief executive

ICC news

ESPNcricinfo staff
    May 10, 2012

Dave Richardson, the former South Africa wicketkeeper and ICC general manager - cricket, has been recommended by the ICC board to succeed Haroon Lorgat as chief executive. The board will make its recommendation at the ICC annual conference in June, when Lorgat term ends.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/c...ry/564339.html

Post Thanks / Like
    ^seems with CSK losing streak Seenu maama has lost all his marbles...first it was clipping President powers to make the CEO all the more resourceful and now acceded to this ECB arrangement

Post Thanks / Like
    Here starts the ECB Camel taking over the ICC tent officially also(unofficially they rule anyway).

Feeyaar vekkapttu vEdhanaipadum nAL tholaivil illai. Or who knows he might justify ECB's actions till the cows come home irrespective of merit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Proctor and Gamble mookkaalazhugai enna thideernu?
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzy View Post
    enna logic edhu..how many int. bats have a chest-on stance
    naaLaikku idhuvum nadakkum. makkaL adhaiyum rasippAnga-nu solradhA eduththukittEn.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Here starts the ECB Camel taking over the ICC tent officially also(unofficially they rule anyway).
    Feeyaar vekkapttu vEdhanaipadum nAL tholaivil illai. Or who knows he might justify ECB's actions till the cows come home irrespective of merit...
    Richardson-ai solreengaLA? avanai paththi yEdhAvadhu history geography?

UDRS fetish theriyin...I meant apart from that.

Post Thanks / Like
    david hopps, a writer who migrated from guardian to cricinfo recently, the inside story being the insufferable ways of Mike Selvey in guardian and his typical English araajagam and class-based attitude
    idhai paththi linku edhunaa...

Google paNNi pArththEn..oNNum agappadalai.