Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarees the most graceful & ideal garment for Tamil Women

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice saries and nice shades too
    ''Western Hippie world''... have you checked out the hippie world lately... they are very into saries and veshties.. if they took care of their hair properly they would look authentic tamil... i guess they have not caught up to the coconut oil trick.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Podavai at best drowns a woman in fabric and at worst, most especially silk saris, makes her look like a candy in a shiny crinkly wrapper. I'm not sure how it counts as ideal: wrapped garments require adjustment, they are less stable, constricting the legs decreases mobility (which is why women hike their saris and men madichufy veshtis). No pottu and no jewellery focuses attention on the woman's own face, far more appealing, not to mention what it implies about the woman's personality.

I don't care for salwar-kameez either -- kameez is waistless and ends in an odd place, it makes almost every woman look dumpier than she would be in a better cut silhouette.

Sleek, practical, modest, stylish.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tastes differ!Diametrically opposite views still hold the fort!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Women applicants to work in factories handling machinery - those wearing sarees and with long hair OUT.
    Going to market - sarees no pocket. Can lose dollar notes and coins and cry. Handbags can be snatched by thieves. Can forget and leave handbags in wash rooms.

Molester chase - cannot run.

driving - saree uncomfortable. Beware : saree may cause accidents,

taking buses - saree - tough.

Going to temple / wedding - if a male person accompanies and drives, OK. can wear Saree.

Washing/drying/ironing all becoming more expensive.

OK, Good for Indian occasions. Saree shops still making money.

Malay and Chinese girls buy saree material to stitch some kinds of dresses for themselves,

Why is this saree discussion restricted to Tamil women?
    Last edited by bis_mala; 14th November 2012 at 09:28 PM.
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bis_mala View Post

driving - saree uncomfortable. Beware : saree may cause accidents.
    I don't know about that one. I had a saree wearing woman drive me to temple on many occasions and nothing happened. As for being uncomfortable, I never thought about that one.
    Skanthavelu Nadarajah

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skanthan View Post
    I don't know about that one. I had a saree wearing woman drive me to temple on many occasions and nothing happened. As for being uncomfortable, I never thought about that one.

The madam who drives you to temple must be an extraordinarily skillful driver.

A variety of factors come into play in Road Traffic collision cases. Visibility, weather, volume of traffic on the road, speed of the vehicle involved and other vehicles, road conditions, mechanical defects of vehicles involved etc etc. If an uncomfortable apparel is worn by the driver, the likelihood of not being able to have proper control in the event of an emergency requiring maneuver of vehicle is higher. Not every person driving a vehicle with uncomfortable wear meets with an accident. Many escape.......There have been occasions when the careless or incompetent driver is saved by the more careful or skillful one on the road.

One evening, I was driving a car descending a slope. The road I was on meets another major road. My brakes failed. My car ended up at the center of the road intersection. I saw a container lorry approaching the intersection from the major road. I thought sure collision and that was the end of me. But the competent and careful driver stopped about 3 metres from my car.........

So we say : the likelihood of ...... is higher.

On the other hand, what is uncomfortable for one may be perfectly OK for another. Most people feel....saree uncomfortable. But again this is not from any survey .
    Last edited by bis_mala; 20th November 2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: duplication of quotes delete
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is true. Now that I think of it, some sarees do look pretty uncomfortable. Especially when they start to come loose.
    Skanthavelu Nadarajah

Post Thanks / Like
    Sari [Saaree] makes a comeback

"The sari is back on the campus of India's premier management school. Women students at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A) may go the whole nine yards during placement interviews this year. The Indian ethnic wear has been recognised as a formal wear for business interviews held on the campus after a long hiatus, thanks to the efforts of the institute's first woman cultural representative in 52 years — Priyanshi Mathur."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i.../17353782.cms?

Post Thanks / Like
    For formal wear, yes!
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

12. Thanks virarajendra thanked for this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast