Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Writer/Director - Christopher Nolan

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Siv.S
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar
    I read somewhere that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (500 days of summer, Inception) will play the antagonist in Batman 3.
    // Anyone feel like this 500 DOS guy looks like younger brother of Heath ledger? I felt like that while watching 500 DOS. //
    // ...he does//

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was an interesting analogy and superimposition of film/drama (three act) structure vis-a-vis artifice of 'Magic' in The Prestige.

While Following was in regards to 'voyeuristic' deceit..Memento was in regards to 'memory' and the 'photographic'..

Inception will now incept into "dream"-like meta state that Films, when it's done best, often metamorphose into. Forget 3-D etc (even if we watch in 2-D on screen, the characters on the screen registers in our brain as 3-D in both visual and visceral level). Film itself is a metaphysical/magic-like medium that 'make believes', and by that, it is analogous to 'dream'. And filmmaking's basis is also in reality like the latter, the manifestation and surreal-ization of 'realism' does also finds its roots in 'Dream'. Of course, Matrix does it to the most expansive and extensive level. As does Cronenberg's films like Videodrome and ExistenZ in a somewhat exaggerated, farcical manner, without divorcing the human center.

I particularly appreciate Nolan for finding such cogent and relevant concept/themes that this medium deserves!

This is a FDFS material (but I said that for Toy story 3 as well, which I haven't watched yet )
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    There was an interesting analogy and superimposition of film/drama (three act) structure vis-a-vis artifice of 'Magic' in The Prestige.

While Following was in regards to 'voyeuristic' deceit..Memento was in regards to 'memory' and the 'photographic'..

Inception will now incept into "dream"-like meta state that Films, when it's done best, often metamorphose into. Forget 3-D etc (even if we watch in 2-D on screen, the characters on the screen registers in our brain as 3-D in both visual and visceral level). Film itself is a metaphysical/magic-like medium that 'make believes', and by that, it is analogous to 'dream'. And filmmaking's basis is also in reality like the latter, the manifestation and surreal-ization of 'realism' does also finds its roots in 'Dream'. Of course, Matrix does it to the most expansive and extensive level. As does Cronenberg's films like Videodrome and ExistenZ in a somewhat exaggerated, farcical manner, without divorcing the human center.

I particularly appreciate Nolan for finding such cogent and relevant concept/themes that this medium deserves!

This is a FDFS material (but I said that for Toy story 3 as well, which I haven't watched yet )
    hope it releases here too on 16th...but no trailers/posters yet, tho in the big cinemas website it's shown as releasing on 16th...the last airbender/SALT trailers/posters etc r being shown in big cinemas here when i went for raavanan...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    In PVR Chennai, they have a scroller for 'Inception'. Not sure if it has a simultaneous release..
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently, The Last Airbender is the last nail into Shyamalan's coffin.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Siv.S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Inception review, you can read the full review here in this link, i have not posted the plot here...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...04102197.story

In a summer of remakes, reboots and sequels comes "Inception," easily the most original movie idea in ages.

Now "original" doesn't mean its chases, cliffhangers, shoot-outs, skullduggery and last-minute rescues. Movies have trafficked in those things forever. What's new here is how writer-director Christopher Nolan repackages all this with a science-fiction concept that allows his characters to chase and shoot across multiple levels of reality.

This is, in some ways, a con-game movie, only the action takes place entirely within the characters' minds while they dream.

Following up on such ingenious and intriguing films as "The Dark Knight" and "Memento," Nolan has outdone himself. "Inception" puts him not only at the top of the heap of sci-fi all-stars, but it also should put this Warner Bros. release near or at the top of the summer movies. It's very hard to see how a film that plays so winningly to so many demographics would not be a worldwide hit.

Not that the film doesn't have its antecedents. "Dreamscape" (1984) featured a man who could enter and manipulate dreams, and, of course, in "The Matrix" (1999) human beings and machines battled on various reality levels created by artificial intelligence.

In "Inception," Nolan imagines a new kind of corporate espionage wherein a thief enters a person's brain during the dream state to steal ideas. This is done by an entire team of "extractors" who design the architecture of the dreams, forge identities within the dream and even pharmacologically help several people to share these dreams.

Bottom Line: A devilishly complicated, fiendishly enjoyable sci-fi voyage across a dreamscape that is thoroughly compelling.

Post Thanks / Like
    One more review
    http://movies.ign.com/articles/110/1103912p1.html
    With Inception, Nolan has made his equivalent to The Big Sleep (ironic given the subject matter of Nolan's film), a thriller whose near indecipherable storyline will boggle minds decades to come -- or even his 2001, a genre opus guaranteed to confound or amaze viewers. Or is it Nolan's finally realized attempt at making a James Bond film? Or a heist thriller to rival Heat? A better version of Dreamscape? Inception is all of the above, and yet it's also a singular accomplishment from a filmmaker who has only gotten better with each film. Indeed, Inception could very well be Nolan's masterpiece.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Read a review on "Inception" book-ended with 'Kubrick would have been proud'. Preceded by 'dazzling mindtrip'. Not that I cringed, but it's absurd to someone (like me) who regards Nolan to be a very different filmmaker..

Post Thanks / Like

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast