Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Writer/Director - Christopher Nolan

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar
    If Murugadoss was to copy 'Inception' then he should've probably hired a dream stealer and extracted the idea from Nolan. Doesnt make sense..
    ajay
    reviews(overseas) supera irukku...pathe aaganum..btw unge signature
    Say My Name

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Compli,

Werent Fischer and Eames sharing the dream? In a shared dream, the initiator can make the other 'participants' dance to his tunes if i am not wrong.

Ariadne designs the platforms for each dream so that only the initiator and herself knows the solution of the maze. The platform should not be a replica of the reality is what Cobb instructs her. The hotel, the snow fields shudve been designed by Ariadne.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Senior Hubber complicateur's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Makes sense about Ariadne. She is the architect and the dreamer populates with projections.

While people can share dreams, there probably has to be one primary dreamer. In the case of the snow fortress Eames is the decoy. Fischer (and apparently me) believes that it is Browning's (Eames in disguise) dream, but it is Fischer's dream - Hence the projection of Fischer Sr. on the bed etc...

OK. Still Kick and Limbo based qns to be understood. BTW its interesting that the 'mechanics' of the film are getting all the attention. At some point we'll have to get to the momentarily implied philosophical offshoots.
    "Fiction is not the enemy of reality. On the contrary fiction reaches another level of the same reality" - Jean Claude Carriere.
    Music

Post Thanks / Like
    k-g, still reading...meanwhile, Mombasa is in Kenya isn't it. Not Morocco.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R
    k-g, still reading...meanwhile, Mombasa is in Kenya isn't it. Not Morocco.
    Yeah, but there are men of Arabic origin here, with more of Moroccon styled attire, right? Yussuf is of Arabic origin too.

Btw, I mix up Adriane and Ariadne, in both cases it's Ellen Page's character. Will correct now..
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    My grouses are

1) It explains a little too much. Sometimes it feels like explaining jokes. Eg. The scene where the henchman falls of the Penrose steps has Arthur mention 'paradox' just in case we didn't understand. I groaned.

2) Some of the dialogues are incredible. People opening up in the first meetings. (this a complaint I have against many but I felt it too sharply hear).

Eg. The concept of inception brought up in one sentence. Arthur's reflex reaction is an explanation to Kaito (in reality to us) and Cobb moving from refusal to interest in under a minute upon Kaito's offer. That seemed very very simplistic to me. It seemed like Nolan was trying to introduce us to concepts, characters, motivations etc. a little too fast and it ended up looking unnatural - it happens in multiple places in the film.

3) Dialogues for effect.

Eg. the old man (presumably) working for Yusuf who corrects Kaito (they come here to sleep) by saying that they "come here to wake up" and proceeds to chastise him with arguably the most important line in the film (sic) "who are you to say it is not their reality?". Kaito didn't even question. And surely there is no 'need' for that man to speak that way in that scene, except Nolan wanted that line spoken.

These are the big things for me to swallow.

Apart from these I pretty much liked everything about the film including the showy parts like the dream big bazooka and Kaito's neat solution of buying the airline

I particularly liked how Nolan said 'everything'. Leave very little elbow room for alternative interpretations and suchlike. I have something to say, it is pretty difficult to say it, but I trust my craftsmanship enough to communicate this with precision. Don't bother crossing the bridge and meeting me midway etc. All I ask of you is your attention. Actually not even that. Don't bother, I will get your attention.That is MY job

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Arthur calling it 'paradox', having well dressed Levitt and Page to kiss on couch (although functional), bringing out bazooka, etc seemed childish.

And another showy throw away reference is 'Pegasus' Apartments in Level 1. It's prominently displayed in one of the posters too..
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    Yeah, Arthur calling it 'paradox', having well dressed Levitt and Page to kiss on couch (although functional), bringing out bazooka, etc seemed childish.
    Wait...I want to distinguish the first from the others.

The first is, anxiety to be understood manifesting in a dialogue that the film could have done without. One wouldn't call these showy indulgences like one would label the others.

btw what Pegasus?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    RGV is saying something about Inception and Nolan in Twitter. Interested ppl can read them..
    Dream Big !

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope he is not remaking it in hindi...
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast