Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Writer/Director - Christopher Nolan

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    I felt some of the scenes were thrust upon just to confuse us. Software terms-la 'needless complexity' nu solvaanga.
    Nolan-udaya signature-e adhu dhaane?
    Precisely thats why I said the film is very very Nolan. But those things did not flow seamlessly unlike Memento. Anyway may be I will change my opinion after a revisit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    MakkaLE, indha padam evvaLo hype-aiyum thaangum.

Nolar - unga kaala konjam kaaminga
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R
    MakkaLE, indha padam evvaLo hype-aiyum thaangum.

Nolar - unga kaala konjam kaaminga
    http://hawkeyeview.blogspot.com/2010...vies-ever.html (aff course didn't read the post/review... thalaippa vechu post panninen)
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    And they're mostly plot level enhancements (giving it a 'convoluted' shape) and for character specificity, not serving too much to thematic richness, visual metaphors, and subtext.
    Please elaborate. For me, "clever", "interesting", "gimmick" and "convoluted" resonate
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar
    The whole crowd yelled 'Ohhhhh' when i saw the movie..
    Yaen intha thuyaram ???
    Thuyaram illa, Thambi.. Makkals reaction after seeing the last shot of the film..
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Senior Hubber Sid_316's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid_316
    Question :

Spoilers ahead

Did ellen page actually perform the inception on di caprio?? Did she make di caprio to believe his dream is his reality in the end?

^ There r some clues for this also .. like at yusuf's place he says pointing at the ppl who r sleeping saying these guys come here to be woken up from their dreams.They think their dreams r their reality

And also Di caprio asks ellen page to create mazes but not to show him i

it all fits doesnt it?
    Ha, As I said, I see it this way. Our chat session in Facebook would seem unstructured as it is. Will try to collate and post 'em in an organized manner..
    Looking forward

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spoiler warning: Audience Reaction To Inception's Ending

[html:6b6d7465c6]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PkBYfNWajUU&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PkBYfNWajUU&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/html:6b6d7465c6]

Courtesy: Cinemablend.com

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the comments in youtube:

Same reaction in Japan too, then an applause and then a guy beside me said "Dang...I forgot to eat my popcorn."

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik)
    And they're mostly plot level enhancements (giving it a 'convoluted' shape) and for character specificity, not serving too much to thematic richness, visual metaphors, and subtext.
    Please elaborate. For me, "clever", "interesting", "gimmick" and "convoluted" resonate
    There's a difference between a device and a gimmick. The former is of course clever and interesting while the latter is annoying. What Nolan opts here, three or four levels of dreamshare, the complexity is a "device" and not a gimmick.

I would distinguish a “device” from a “gimmick.” A device is a tool - it could be editing pattern (non-chronological pattern) or the concept it self like several "convoluted" levels of Dreamshare (specific traits of Anterograde amnesia in Memento, rational explanation for Magical illusion in The Prestige) – it grabs our attention and holds us to it. The device turns into a "gimmick" if it outstrips the purview of the character and story and is a needless 'bait', and a parlor trick to gloss over poor writing. A Device registers and compounds the psychological resonance of what the audience sees & feels - and gives a coherent 'shape' overall, A gimmick is just an 'excuse'to sway the audience. I personally believe Nolan opts for complexity in levels of dreamshare as a "device" that advances the plot and deepens the psychological resonance of specific characters, Cobb and Fischer Jr, before implanting. And after 'Inception', both the characters are unaware, in Cobb's case (we, the audience, always with him, are also equally unsure), his specific 'curing'. Saying more, would spoil the fun if you haven't watched it. So for both these characters, the device, dream-within-dream-within-dream, functions specifically. Doesn't cut across as needless gimmick. Perhaps more of a mild 'tease' in its clever usage.
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rangan_08's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some one said in one of the reviews, " Kubrick would have felt very proud...". That's true. For film lovers who have been Following Nolan's track record, his 7th wonder just turns out to be a mind boggling, amazing experience.

Nolan, with all his brilliance, arrogance, intellectual pride, confidence and of course with little bit of ego has thrown up an open challenge to the audience and daringly says, " Catch me if you can". A roller-coaster hell of a ride is guaranteed for anyone who catches up with his dreams. It's definitely not a film to be watched in a casual mood. If you understand and get along with the film in the first 15 minutes, you are saved, otherwise you will be "kicked" out mercilessly.

This is undoubtedly Nolan's top notch work. But one thing, most of the audience who came with that usual expectation to watch an action packed, graphic oriented ordinary Hollywood flick were greatly disappointed (come on man, I'm supposed to be a film buff )

For me, I should say that Matrix served as a fantastic base to understand and enjoy this work of genius. Thanks to the Wachowski bro's (whatever happened to them??)

But unlike Matrix, the entire plot itself is not so fresh. We have the usual hero - villain stuff, the villain threatening to destroy the hero's family and the reluctant designer later making up her mind to join the team etc., are all quite regular themes. But, it's the overall idea and the tenacity with which Nolan has constructed this mind game is all that matters.

In Inception, as one scene after another (or dreams, rather) unfolds, it becomes a fantastic experience. And, towards the denouement, Nolan deftly wraps up one dream after another (or scenes, rather) and gives a perfect finish, something similar to his own Memento formula. Hats off !!

If you succeed in following up the dream sequences one by one, starting from the aeroplane, the van, the building, the hotel, the polar region, Cobb's dream land etc., then you will begin to respect and revere his brilliance and hard work.

P.S. :- Just to make sure, I suggest that you take a totem alongwith you ( a bambaram is highly recommended ).

Cobb : Thank God! I've managed to plant this wonderful idea of writing this beautiful, insightful (!???) review in rangan's mind which will fetch him accolades in the hub circle.

Nolan & other hubbers :

rangan's wife : yenga, ezhundiringa. Sundayana pagal kanavu kanradhe unga velaya pochu. Endhirichi sapida vanga.

rangan : adhukulla mathiyanam ayidicha ? Evening Inception-nu oru padam poga poren. Neeyum variya ?
    Perhaps life is just that. A Dream and a Fear. -- Joseph Conrad

Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast