Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Raga of Songs - 2 !

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thaye moogambige from film thai moogambigai (sung by BMK, MSV, Seerkazhi and Janaki) seems to be a ragamalika of maymalawagowlai, vasanthasree, simmendramadhyamam, subhpantuvarali and back to mayamalawagowlai.....phew !

Last edited by vel; 25th January 2012 at 10:41 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What raga is the classical portion..

Ranjani?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    whattay composition! I had 'Enna kavi paadinalum' ringing in my head... neelamani?

Post Thanks / Like
    er.. kuzhappam... tried to roughly play it and it fully comes within S R2 G2 P D2 S and return, which is Sivaranjani. Now, enna kavi's pallavi also operates within this scale fully IMO. Here are the two aro/avaro from wiki.. but there's not much of a similarity in the scales right?

Shivaranjani
    S R2 G2 P D2 S
    S D2 P G2 R2 S

Neelamani
    S R2 M1 P D1 N3 S
    S N3 D1 P M1 R2 S

Post Thanks / Like
    KV, do you see M2 anywhere?

Shivaranjani & Neelamani are almost like sriranjani & karnataka kamas. Scale shift can result in a similar raga. In this song if you take C# as Sa, then the scale is Neelamani.

Post Thanks / Like
    RR, I don't think there's M2 in the TMS portions (or for that matter anywhere else in the song, but will check again). While LRE's portions has an anya swaram in Ni2 (IIRC) in the 1st charanam (eg. kaadhali), TMS' portion seems to be fully in Sivaranjani (ofcourse, I'm not considering the last charanam which has lot of syncopation notes where he tries to incorporate rocknroll style). That slide from keezh Sa to mEl Sa and spiral descend through the Sivaranjani avaro (ulaginil aanavar aayiram aayiram)... just love that!

scale shifting (esp placing the shadjam)... orE kashtamappa!

Post Thanks / Like
    KV, check and tell pls. Do you see any sivaranjani resemblance in the song? I don't. Just compare with
    kurai ondrum illai. What I see are Vijayanagari/Ranjani (or Neelamani) shades.

Yes the song is a lovely one. When TMS starts at the super high pitch (mimic-ing MKT) - wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just tried looking it up on the net.
    Here's an excerpt from a tfmpage discussion:
    "has anybody heard a more innovative usage of Sivaranjani as in 'Utharavindri ULLe vaa' (title song)? The pallavi is totally in this raag, the I charanam (sung by an effeminate SPB) is a deviation, II charanam sung by TMS is classical Sivaranjani linked superbly back to the pallavi in all its youthful vigour".

Another from dhool:
    One more area untouched, whenever he used ragas like Sivaranjani, the real face of Sivaranjani (that we wouldnt like to see, thanks for Laxmikanth Pyarelals, SA Rajkumars and Bharadwajs) remained suppressed. If ARR has re-tuned 'uthharavindi uLLE vA', we know what inspired him to use Sivaranjani for 'kaNNum kaNNum koLLai adithhAl'. Apart from 'uthharavindri uLLE vA' (which I thought was a masterful composition), enna vEgam nillu bhAma, poovA thalayA pOttA theriyum are songs which disfigure the true Sivaranjani (as mankind knows it).

And here's an interview with MSV that I got from the Dhool link. Reading it for the first time; some points on ragams there
    (and a lot about kannadasan/spb/pbs/tms, etc...
    The movie was ‘pOlice kAran magaL’. MSV arrived first for Sridhar to present him with the ‘song situation’. The melody tuned was ‘ponnenbEn siru poovenbEn’. Kannadasan was his usual nonchalant self when asked to do his bit for the song. ‘kAthal duet-a? athAn athhAn pothhAn mayiru mattai ezhuthiyAchhE. innumA ?’. )

Post Thanks / Like
    KV,

I used to think so too. Recently I heard it on tv and felt there's something more than simple sivaranjani. That's why posted it.

athan pothan . It's a classic interview by Sriram Lakshman - a old hand @TFM page. Not sure if he's still around.

Post Thanks / Like
    RR, my guess seems to be right! Pallavi and TMS' portions are within the Sivaranjani scale. 2nd charanam has an extra N2. The last charanam has loads of chromatic notes and is good fun to play!
    Here's a rough notation of the song.

uuvp.JPG
    uuvc1.JPG

uuvc2.JPG

uuvc3.JPG

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast