Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tamils should speak in "Tamil" with much pride

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Stiglitz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes I feel like The Tamil Right is part of the reason for the whole "Speaking In English is High Class" Misconception...

When there are ppl who come up with names like "Kottai Vadi Neer" for Coffee and "Midhavai Perundhu" for Busses, and "Thagaval Thozhilnuttpam" for Information Technology, Engum Tamiz Edhulum Thamiz, Anti-English sentiment etc etc etc it's not surprising that many in the younger generation get this idea, it's obviously a social misunderstanding to think that Being Proud to be Tamil might put u in the same list as these fellows... (I'm not talking abt the retards who were born and brought up in Chennai by claim to not know Tamil, but well versed in French, who used to watch Rajinikanth Films until they were in 8th, and then suddenly stop because it's not "cool". Ithellam Poraiyodi pona cases, ivangalai thiruthave mudiyadhu) If ppl openly discredit these amateur political ploys by the Tamil right, but at the same time embrace Tamil on a more Realistic and Practical level, it would certainly pave the way for a Generation of Proud Taamil Youngsters...

Sendriduveer ettu thikkum - kalai selvangal yaavum konarndhingu sErpeer!

That doesn't mean we boycott things foreign to Tamil... Adhu thaan areveykaadu thanam nu solradhu... That's abt as equal to the ppl who claim to have never having a chance to speak in tamiz to ppl even though they were born in royapettah...
    Last edited by Stiglitz; 15th February 2011 at 04:55 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    nov,
    நீங்க ஏன் இதைத்தமிழில் எழுத முயலக்கூடாது?
    ezhudhalaam, aanaal Virarajendra'vin padhivu aangilaththil iruppadhinaal, andha mozhiyile badhil sonnEn.

anyway, we were discussing about "speaking" not writing.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys won't believe it, but I picked up Tamil when I was around 12 or 13! No Tamil education in school, so I picked it up from mom. Yen intha aruvam? Cinema. There were lots of backdated movie magazines and we were frustrated because we can't read the Tamil section (two sections, another in Tamil, and earlier ones even had Malay section). I try my best to speak and pronounce well, but sometimes there'd be error. In fact, a then-new colleague remarked that I speak Tamil differently, the style, like (he actually said this) "Major Sundararajan"
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stiglitz, words rankle when they are new. But slowly they get absorbed. Does மாவட்டம் sound odd today? No. When it was introduced as a replacement for ஜில்லா it would have. போலீஸ் இலாகா'ன்னு மக்களுக்கு நல்லா தெரிஞ்சதை ஏன் காவல்துறை'ன்னு மாத்தணும், would have been the question then.

Its because of those pioneers who bore the sleights of the opposition that such words have made it into our diction today. And anyway we are not even talking about introduction of new words and something which arguably takes some institutionalization. The huge problem is the replacement of 'existing' Tamil words with English words.And it is not even happening because of an urge to show off. It is just 'naturally' happening. And one has to make a conscious effort to resist it.

A typical housewife on a cookery show: oru cup-la konjam cashew nuts, half cup sugar eduthukunga. tawa-la ghee heat aanappuram, rendaiyum pOttu nalla stir paNNikittE irukkaNum. cashew nalla golden brown color aara varaikkum fry paNNanum.

I am sure even a decade ago this would have been: oru kiNNathula mundhiryum, innoru kinnathula sakkaraiyum eduthukkunga. vanalila nei suttapuram, rendaiyum pOttu kalakkitte irukkaNum. mundhiri ponniramaa aara varaikkum varukkaNum.

No outlandish 'new' words. Just simple everyday words. And that is dying out.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R View Post
    A typical housewife on a cookery show: oru cup-la konjam cashew nuts, half cup sugar eduthukunga. tawa-la ghee heat aanappuram, rendaiyum pOttu nalla stir paNNikittE irukkaNum. cashew nalla golden brown color aara varaikkum fry paNNanum.
    //digg
    PR,
    avunga chef'a??
    Sach is Life..

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    படித்துறை இயக்குனர் சுகா விஜய் டிவி'யில் என்ன அழகா தமிழ் பேசினார் தெரியுமா?

இப்படிப்பட்டவர்கள் நாட்டுக்குத்தேவை!

Post Thanks / Like
    எந்திரன் உருவாக்கினது பற்றிய சன் டிவி நிகழ்ச்சிகளில் வைரமுத்து பேசியதைப்பார்த்த போது என் 4 வயதுப்பொண்ணு கேள்வி : "இவர் என்ன பாஷை பேசறாரு?"
    (இத்தனைக்கும் வீட்டில் தமிழ் மட்டும் தான், அவளோடு ஆங்கிலத்தில் பேசுவதே இல்லை )

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    படித்துறை இயக்குனர் சுகா விஜய் டிவி'யில் என்ன அழகா தமிழ் பேசினார் தெரியுமா?

இப்படிப்பட்டவர்கள் நாட்டுக்குத்தேவை!
    Yes. Are you reading Suga's write-up in Ananda Vikadan. Simply too good and better than so-called Charu Nivedita's who is also writing in AV

Post Thanks / Like
    சமீபத்தில் என் பழைய பாஸ் போனில்.

அவர் ரிட்டையர் ஆயாச்சு. நானும் அவருக்குக்கீழ் இப்போது வேலை செய்யவில்லை (10 வருஷத்துக்கு மேல ஆச்சு).

அவர் வீட்டில் மனைவியிடம் மட்டும் தமிழ் பேசுவார், மற்ற எல்லோரிடமும் (மிரட்டுவதற்காக) ஆங்கிலம் மட்டும் தான்.

இப்போதும் மனுஷன் தமிழில் பேச மாட்டேங்கறார் (பாஸாம்).

நான் கண்டுக்காமல் 100 % தமிழில் பதிலளித்துத் தள்ளினேன்

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Stiglitz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys won't believe it, but I picked up Tamil when I was around 12 or 13! No Tamil education in school, so I picked it up from mom.
    Same here, didn't know tamil until I was in 5th... At that time i didn't realize importance of knowing my mother tongue. I used to whine and bicker whenever my mom used to teach me tamil, now i'm glad she did.

Madhavan in some movie: Idhunge ellam "Don't stand in the veyyil, stand under the puliyamaram's Nezhal" nu pesure aalunge. Ozunga englishum varadhu, tamizum varadhu.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast