Page 61 of 250 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, watched Malleppoovvu, of all places, while flying.Third Gradekum keezhE. One of the rare movies where even Raja couldnt do anything with the material given to him. The BGM is completely forgettable - not to blame him, there is hardly anything he could have done with that kind of material - I remember there were some comments which he made in Malleppovu function which made a mild flutter at that time. Does anyone remember what it is? If it was something disparaging about the director of this movie, then I can empathise with him - he should be applauded for speaking out the truth if he did say that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,

But Mallepoovu has wonderful songs.. Chandamama, chirugaali (the interlude is so unlike his other interludes), and the dreamy mallEpoovulO makaranthamaa... What a waste!

irir123,

>>the above are either the ramblings of a man afflicted with bipolar disorder<<

Most artists have certain degree of BPD. It is not uncommon, as you may already know.

The problem with the whole discussion about the choice of chorus etc.. is not taking into consideration how an artist works.

I am not a musician, but I can relate to a creative mind. I have always wondered if IR writes music the way a poet writes a poem. In other words, a poem (many times fully formed) comes to poet- he or she doesn't set out to build a poem by placing lines that work and that don't. What I am trying to say is, it is driven by intuition and not by choice or logic. That may also explain inconsistencies in his work.

Gokul.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by writeface
    Plum,

But Mallepoovu has wonderful songs.. Chandamama, chirugaali (the interlude is so unlike his other interludes), and the dreamy mallEpoovulO makaranthamaa... What a waste!

irir123,

>>the above are either the ramblings of a man afflicted with bipolar disorder<<

Most artists have certain degree of BPD. It is not uncommon, as you may already know.

The problem with the whole discussion about the choice of chorus etc.. is not taking into consideration how an artist works.

I am not a musician, but I can relate to a creative mind. I have always wondered if IR writes music the way a poet writes a poem. In other words, a poem (many times fully formed) comes to poet- he or she doesn't set out to build a poem by placing lines that work and that don't. What I am trying to say is, it is driven by intuition and not by choice or logic. That may also explain inconsistencies in his work.

Gokul.
    No. IRIR is referring to the fact that 'ok chorus added initially' . now why not revisit that portion and update with better lude or chorus or words?
    Only IR can answer IRIR's koschans.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Gokul. 'Mallepoovu' was a wonderful album with some very melodious songs. I heard that the movie was thrash. Now Plum has confirmed it. They tried to remake an Iranian movie and made a mess of it. The songs were really wasted on that movie.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    koschans.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65
    thumburu,

With due respects to you, I think you sometimes occupy a very high pedestal and pass comments as if they are the absolute final words about anything. We can disagree on whether the tune was good or the lyrics were better but to call 'adiushas' as a pedestrian tune is sheer arrogance. (I personally do not think the lyrics of 'adiushas' are outstanding to the extent that the tune becomes pedestrian. I don't want to get into a lyrics vs tune debate here since I have equal respect for ONV and Raja.)
    nalla sonneenga....Not only this DFer, but many others do this, in the name of 'karuthu sudhandhiram'.....a nice post from you suresh. I liked the way you have summed it up.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thalaivar's speech in Om Shanti Om with translation

Courtesy of Orkut Ramesh and IR Yahoo Groups

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    chinna polike's first line is lovely corollary of the old classic 'kaatru veliyidai kannamma, undhan kadhalai enni thavikindraen..

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    China Polike.... The more I am loving it... the more I am banging my table here, in anger about that singer and pronunciation!Pch! if only someone like Karthik or anyone else sang it.
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suryakanthi , I must admit is not as impressive as PremKahani . It took many listens to get a hang of it [ CD Vaangiyaachu . so vera vazhi? ] . One reason could be the mushy romance in PremKahani drew lush music from IR. "Edaya baagilu" stands out . It is so free flowing that gives me a gliding , floating feel like "uravenum pudhiya vaanil" or "yaarum thodaadha" of Ajantha. Kunal Ganjanwala's voice is unique and suits the song. Lovely piano notes when Shreya croons "without u...." is like the soft rock english songs of the 60's . The "hahahaha" humming not withstanding, "swalpa soundu" is a big turn off owing to the singer. She is rampant in recent kannada songs and is the major reason for me to abhor Kannada FM channels. And to hear her in Raja's music is the height of grrrrrrrr !!! Chan chanare - I have no issues with changu chikku or danga dingu in tis particular song. I love the second bgm and charanam portions of this song. Song takes an interesting turn midway in the charanam before the chorus sings which is Raja's hand woven magic. "mouni naanu" lacks freshness and reminds us of various old Raja's songs like "naaLum en manam", "asalem gurthukuraadhunaa" of Anthapuram fame. That "jaikara hagora" is straight out of Ramarajan's late 80's with nothing new