Page 50 of 250 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there was one song which reminded me of Rajkumar, it was 'yenidu yenidu' from 'Nannavanu'. Lovely song that one.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the director of 'Om Shanthi' is into blogging. He has started writing his experience of meeting Raja. This seems to be the first part. Need to follow this site to get the whole story.

http://prakashpov.blogspot.com/2009/...ayaraja-1.html

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    irir ..ungaLukku theriyAdha vishayathai ..adhuvum IR music paRRI naan enna solla poRen..from a a social point of view edhO uLarinEn..prasad and app surprisingly seem to have similar views. (BTW, I did not like swalpa soundu that much , but today I patiently listened to the prelude which seemed to put me in the mood for the song completely.. the main refrain and the rockish guitar in the interlude actually reminded me of U2 ..very weird.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kiru
    irir ..ungaLukku theriyAdha vishayathai ..adhuvum IR music paRRI naan enna solla poRen..from a a social point of view edhO uLarinEn..prasad and app surprisingly seem to have similar views. (BTW, I did not like swalpa soundu that much , but today I patiently listened to the prelude which seemed to put me in the mood for the song completely.. the main refrain and the rockish guitar in the interlude actually reminded me of U2 ..very weird.)
    kiru - yenakku IR music la ulla niraiyya technical matters theriyave theriyaadhu/puriyaadhu!

IR is not doing any private albums - a TiS, music messiah notwithstanding, his only output is in the filmy format - so whatever we might say to justify the use of elements such as the ones mentioned above, its becoming increasingly difficult to showcase his filmy output, if they have such elements - of course, if we dont care abt how its perceived by others, then no arguments - but for his music to have universal appeal (which am sure it does), the least he can do is get rid of these things - tats IMHO
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    IRIR,

My thoughts - nothing new but felt like writing it..Digression again . sorry for the rant folks..

IR and his capability (or the lack therof ) to market his "stuff" is one topic that we are all painfully aware of .. In my HO, IR can be a excellent case study for how poor marketing/PR skills can make/break a product. He is a genius in Music ( and skills related to music) ( and sometimes lyrics - Ramana Maalai and some of Azhagi songs are testimony ) . Period. He seems to lack badly in every other department outside of music. Maybe True Creators/Artists are very hard to manage, typically lack business/Social skills - So to wish for IR to think of the marketability of the product while he creates it is against his creative process. Who knows.. so to me efforts in marketing his product outside of South are laudable, but unless IR puts his mind to it ( maybe it's too late now ) it's going to be an uphill battle..

I know Hindsight is always 20-20.. So looking back, if he had even the basic biz skills or atleast had some sense to have a business dev/mktng guy by his side, he would have been well of with just 200 of his albums with a selection of just the 3-4 gems per album that were there in every single album of his in the early/mid/late 80's/ , 2-3 gems in every single album in the 90's and 0-2 gems in select albums in the current decade. But he accepted every movie that came his way and made money out of it without recognizing the "true potential" of his stuff. HTNI/NBW were sparks that were in the right direction, but did not go much further than excite the NRI folks.. Again this realization alone could have hurted his creativity/spontaneity. the success he had in the 80's were hugely due to his creativity/spontaneity/speed over weighing all these shortcomings..

In my HO, Current generation MD's care way too much about the maketability/popularity of their creation than the music itself and succeed to a great extent ..though short lived..

But the irony is that i read somehwere that IR was the first to come up with the concept of selling Audio cassettes ( remember the echo company that he owned ) well ahead of the movie releases and created a biz segment out of it..

In my HO, Current generation MD's care way too much about the maketability/popularity of their creation than the music itself and succeed to a great extent ..though short lived..

Cheers
    MSK

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Punnaimaran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    One +ve development with the recent IR albums (even the vAlmeeki / azhagar malai kind) is the glorious return of bass and similar return of percussion sounds

mudi - mudi sounds are like agni* days when IR was the authority in that area. Both the prelude and interlude have mirattal guitar sounds that he reserves only for select numbers nowadays.
    Well said, I too felt the same.
    இந்தக் காட்டில் எந்த மூங்கில் இசைக்க வல்லது என்று மயங்கிய பொழுது
    இறைவன் தேர்ந்தெடுத்தப் புல்லாங்குழல் தான் நம் இசைஞானி !!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Punnaimaran
    One +ve development with the recent IR albums (even the vAlmeeki / azhagar malai kind) is the glorious return of bass and similar return of percussion sounds

mudi - mudi sounds are like agni* days when IR was the authority in that area. Both the prelude and interlude have mirattal guitar sounds that he reserves only for select numbers nowadays.
    Listen to "Chinna Polike" song, especially when kunal and sunidhi repeat the pallavi/anupallavi portions after the first charanam. I loved it.

thanks,

Krishnan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by writeface
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    'gum sum gum' on repeat

The way all instruments jump at once in a 'thadAladi' manner after the first line is sung without any background is freak-out stuff!

It's like telling a 'wow-wow' after clean-bowling the toughest batsman!

This is the foruth Bhavadharini song that I've enjoyed immensely (the others being alai meedhu, idhu sangeetha thirunALO & mayil pOla poNNu onnu).

Actually, this song tops in the pA album for me

Interestingly, my daughter insists me on repeating this during drives and even within a few hearings, she sings almost all the words (I can't sing even the pallavi)
    I heard my daughter hum 'gum sum gum' while she was playing..
    This is the third film song she has taken a liking to...
    Same situation with my 4-year old son. He wants to listen to Gum Sum only, exclusively, all the time. I played to him all 3 different versions (that I have) of Gum Sum, starting with Thumbi Vaa, Mood in Kapi, and Sangaththil. Every time he said "this is not the real Gum Sum, play me the "real" Gum Sum"

-Gokul.
    Exactly for the same reason, this song tops my list in Paa...My 4 yr old daughter, while riding tricycle, was humming "gum sum gum" for every pedal, and I had tears in my eyes...Man...this guy made my dad play thumbi vaa in a repeat mode (pAvam cassette niruthi...rewind paNNi pOduvAr )....and my kid is singing without me initiating her forcibly into Raja's music....

This guy is just amazing...my only worry is he shouldn't be another Vincent Van Gogh !
    shankar posts...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by krish244
    Quote Originally Posted by Punnaimaran

Listen to "Chinna Polike" song, especially when kunal and sunidhi repeat the pallavi/anupallavi portions after the first charanam. I loved it.

thanks,

Krishnan
    Beautiful Song from this album....

Strong Dose from our Raaja...

Sweet Guitar..... As usual Friendly.........

enna ragam nu solla mudiyuma........ By any chance......
    Usha Sankar